Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Phil Brown: Dire situation at Wanderers needs to be addressed

+2
wanderlust
karlypants
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Phil Brown his desperate to see a swift resolution to a “dire situation” at Wanderers.

The former club captain and assistant manager has called on Ken Anderson to find a solution to money problems which resulted in the PFA being called by players in to assist with the payment of November salaries.

Brown, who played more than 300 games for Wanderers, appealed to Anderson to double his efforts to sell the club if he cannot afford to sustain it financially.

The former Hull City and Swindon Town hopes a deal can be struck by Friday, when unpaid players could theoretically walk away from their contract for nothing.

“It’s a dire situation when the working man, and in this case footballers, and the incumbent can’t afford to pay them. It really is a dire situation and it needs addressing,” he said.

“I know a lot of clubs these days have got single-man owners and single-man boards, and they are run like that, and they are guarded by it as well.

“If you can’t afford to run it you need to move on and possibly even sell the club.

“It doesn’t matter where you lie in the ladder, whether you are a young player, an older player or whatever. At the end of the day you sign a contract and you believe that contract will be honoured.

“I believe Ken Anderson and Bolton Wanderers will honour those contracts. But at the same time you will also have people who are quite savvy with regard to the rules and regulations and who could walk away from a contract if necessary.”

Brown has also praised the job done by Phil Parkinson in keeping the players on focus.

Wanderers saw a point stolen from under their noses at Championship leaders Norwich at the weekend but remain on a poor run of one win in 17 games.

Performances have generally improved since the international break and Brown believes keeping morale up is no mean feat.

“It really is a difficult situation when you are walking into a changing room and trying to motivate a group of players to win a game of football and the wages haven’t been paid,” he told BBC Radio Manchester.

“I had a similar situation at Southend, albeit I was there for five years and it was only two, possibly three occasions paid late. It was one of my main driving forces to make sure that the owner understood, and I felt that he did. He was doing everything he possibly could to get the wages to the players on time and I believe Ken Anderson is too.

“The previous two or three games have been very, very tight, I know Phil and Steve Parkin very well and they are hard-working lads who are honest boys, working class men from working class backgrounds who are trying to get their players to work just as hard.

“Everyone thinks that’s the easy part, but it’s not. If you are fearful of not getting paid on time, or not getting paid at all, then it’s a difficult place to be. That dressing room can be a difficult environment.”

Parkinson has also been linked with the vacant manager's job at his former club Reading.

The Wanderers boss is highly rated at the Madejski Stadium and one man who is said to be championing his cause, Nigel Howe, has recently returned to the club as CEO.

Brown would not be shocked if the Royals made a move.

“Phil has done a fabulous job at Bolton Wanderers under very difficult circumstances," he said.

“His career stacks up against anybody’s. He has battled very, very hard in the lower divisions to get to where he is.

“If a job like Reading did come along then it wouldn’t surprise me if, under the circumstances he’s had a Bolton, he would be attracted to it. But he’s not one to run away from a challenge. If someone came along it would be because of his track record.”

Source

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We know Brownie.

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Phil Brown: Desperate to manage Wanderers

Last edited by finlaymcdanger on Tue Dec 11 2018, 17:14; edited 1 time in total

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

finlaymcdanger wrote:Phil Brown: Desperate manage Wanderers
I was thinking the same thing. He's almost drooling.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:

BUT............................................Could he do a better job than Parky? Very Happy

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Electricity bill would be better as the last time I saw him, (When we played away at Bristol Rovers), he was almost a normal colour  Very Happy

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:Electricity bill would be better as the last time I saw him, (When we played away at Bristol Rovers), he was almost a normal colour  Very Happy
I last saw him a couple of seasons ago at a home game. He was wearing tartan pants.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

boltonbonce wrote:
gloswhite wrote:Electricity bill would be better as the last time I saw him, (When we played away at Bristol Rovers), he was almost a normal colour  Very Happy
I last saw him a couple of seasons ago at a home game. He was wearing tartan pants.
But did he have his perma-tan skin then ? Smile

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:
But did he have his perma-tan skin then ? Smile
Yes. He looked like a swarthy Rupert Bear.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Very Happy

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

karlypants wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:

BUT............................................Could he do a better job than Parky? Very Happy

I doubt it. We aren't far from picking up points in some games though so renewed motivation under different management may be just what is needed to push us over the line. I just hope we strive to do better than Phil Brown if Parkinson does leave.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It'll be difficult to attract anyone from the top shelf. Mark Warburton anyone? Or is he just another Parky?

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Frankly I don't care what Phil Brown thinks. I get really hacked with the way some former player's opinion is somehow deemed to be an oracular pronouncement when he doesn't know any more about what's actually going on behind the scenes than a normal fan. If he actually worked for BWFC in some capacity then I might be interested but he doesn't.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum