Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What Parkinson Thought - Walsall

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What Parkinson Thought - Walsall Empty What Parkinson Thought - Walsall Sat Jan 05 2019, 21:50

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton Wanderers earned a berth into the Fourth Round of the Emirates FA Cup, with a 5-2 victory over Walsall at the University of Bolton Stadium sending the Whites into the pot for the next round.

A hattrick from Josh Magennis, along with goals from Clayton Donaldson and an own goal from Jon Guthrie see Wanderers defeat the Saddlers.

When speaking to bwfc.co.uk after the final whistle, manager Phil Parkinson covered the following topics:

On the summary of that Emirates FA Cup clash…

“Very pleased to get through and get ourselves going following the defeat to Hull City.”

“We showed great character after going a goal behind in the first half.

“I thought a lot of the approach play was good in the first 45 minutes, but I thought we needed to change it at half time.

“We did that and it is a terrific win for us.”

On being especially pleased with the second half performance…

“We brought Clayton on at half time and with him playing three games in six days at the age of 34, I thought it would be a risk to start him today.”

“Sammy pulled out this morning through injury, so we were limited with our striking options.

On the impressive performances from Clayton Donaldson, Will Buckley and Craig Noone…

“Bucko is one who had been ill since New Year’s Eve and only had a light session yesterday.”

“He wasn’t right to start like Clayton, but when they were both asked to come on, I thought they were exceptional.

“In fairness to Yanic, he did well first half but twisted his ankle over on the far side and he had to come off which is a shame.

“Nooney was great for us today. In fairness to him, Sammy was in the team play yesterday but with him picking up a knock, we pulled Craig in to tell him he was starting.

“As ever, his attitude is always fantastic and we don’t take that for granted.

“He always trains well, but also shows bravery in tight games to receive the ball and that was personified today.”

On Josh Magennis’ ruthless display in front of goal…

“We put the balls in the right areas for him and he will get on the end of them.”

“We were very pleased for him and a hattrick was his ultimate reward.”

On Luca Connell’s professional first team debut…

“We thought that Murphy was tiring towards the end, given it being his first game for a while.”

“Murphy gave a lot of calmness on the ball, but then Luca came on.

“He is a good player and trains with the first team often.

“He has done well in the Under 23s and we are very pleased with his progress.

“It is good for our academy to get one of our players onto the bench on merit.”

On this being a great game to bounce back from the Hull City defeat…

“We are a resilient group that keep going.”

“We got knocked today being down at half time and showed the character that I know the boys have in them.”

On this being a confidence boost going into Bristol City at the weekend…

“We can take a lift from this and in all honesty, the last two home games were great positives also.”

“We had one of our best performances against Stoke and backed it up today.”

“We have to draw a line through the Hull defeat and stick to our job, which I thought we did today in abundance.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum