Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Leeds United v Wanderers: Why the first goal is all-important

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Scoring the first goal is vital for any game involving Wanderers these days, but nowhere more so than Elland Road.

Leeds have won all 14 games in which they have opened the scoring this season, nine of which have been on home turf.

Marcelo Bielsa’s side have stumbled slightly since the turn of the year and start tomorrow’s game in third place, chasing Norwich City and Sheffield United. But their ability to hold on to the lead is unparalleled in the division, and that might shape the way Phil Parkinson sets out his side.

By complete contrast, Wanderers have managed just three points from 21 games in which they fell behind to the opening goal. Extending that further, their record since returning to the Championship last season reads zero wins, eight draws and 40 defeats.

It is widely predicted that Parkinson will return to a 4-2-3-1 formation after watching his side torn to pieces in the first half against Norwich last weekend.

The Bolton boss has called for a “perfect” performance at Elland Road, which can be one of the more inhospitable grounds in the division. As such, Parkinson says mental strength will be a key factor if his side is to get a result.

“Things have been tough but we have got to keep going, we’ve got to be strong mentally as a group, we’ve got to be brave enough to handle the ball,” he said. “If you go back to the Reading game when the pressure was on, we get 1-0 down, which still rankles with me, that ridiculous penalty decision we had against us, but we kept going and we’ve got to keep doing that in every minute of every game.”

Comparisons have been drawn between this season and the doomed 2015/16 campaign under Neil Lennon, although Parkinson claims the investment in the playing squad during his time at the club has been considerably less than that enjoyed by his predecessor.

“When you look at when Neil Lennon was here what the club was able to spend and what they’ve been able to spend since it’s Second Division in terms of transfer fees, it’s not of a Championship club and it wouldn’t take much for someone to come in and build the structure of the club.,” he said.

“My view on it is that it’s a great opportunity for someone and hopefully things will progress because I know the chairman is keen to sell."

Parkinson has also come in for considerable criticism during the last 18 months as Wanderers continue to labour at the bottom end of the Championship - but he believes the experience has not had a damaging effect on his reputation.

“I have tried to keep my integrity as a person and as a manager during my time here in what, as everybody knows, are very difficult circumstances and sometimes I feel like I’m stood out there taking the bullets but I’ll continue to keep my credibility.”

Source

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Parky wrote:I have tried to keep my integrity as a person and as a manager during my time here in what, as everybody knows, are very difficult circumstances and sometimes I feel like I’m stood out there taking the bullets but I’ll continue to keep my credibility.

lol!

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

It's fair to say that Ken has gone  hiding and left Parky to take the bullets but im not convinced that he has continued to keep his credibility.
His reputation would have been higher than it is now if he had resigned a few months ago rather than stick it out for a few grand a week.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum