Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton consider appeal over Leeds United touchline clash

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Phil Parkinson faces a touchline ban after the Football Association brought a charge of misconduct against him for his red card against Leeds United.

The Wanderers boss is mulling over whether to appeal, and has until Saturday evening to do so, but if unsuccessful he could have a potential one-game ban turned into two.

Parkinson is also likely to be fined by the FA, the amount of which would also increase if an appeal is lost.

Both Wanderers and Leeds will be hit in the pocket for failing to control their players – a fine which starts at £5,000 but can also be much higher.

Norwich City and Ipswich Town were hit with a similar charge earlier this month and handed a penalty of £20,000 and £25,000 respectively. Like Parkinson, Ipswich boss Paul Lambert was handed a separate charge, which landed him with a £3,000 fine and a two-match suspension from the touchline.

Any potential ban would kick in by the time Wanderers hosted Millwall at the University of Bolton Stadium on March 9.

Parkinson had pinned the blame for the confrontation on Leeds midfielder Mateusz Klich for spraying water down Joe Williams' back after both groups of players had come together in the 69th minute of Saturday’s game at Elland Road.

The initial flashpoint had been a foul by Josh Magennis on Ezgjan Alioski – but members of both dugouts intervened when Williams appeared to grab Alioski and drag him to his feet.

Speaking after the match, Parkinson explained that he was baffled by referee Tony Harrington's decision to show him a red card.

“There was a melee on the side of the pitch - one of their players has poured a drinks bottle over one of our player's head,' Parkinson said.

“Both sets of staff have gone to separate it because they didn't want it to escalate into anything. I did have a go at (Leeds defender) Pontus Jansson saying I felt he'd instigated it by running over.

“There were about 15 people in amongst it being calm and he (referee) has decided to pick me out and give me a red card.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum