Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ex-Bolton captain Kevin Davies backs staff at cash-strapped club

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Kevin Davies has praised the job done by staff at Wanderers as they continue to wait for their February wage.

The ex-club captain and England international has been watching events with concern as more than 400 full and part-time employees have been left without pay since last Thursday.

Davies has sympathy with those who have regularly worried about their pay, which has become a consistent feature in the latter months of Ken Anderson’s reign.

“Staff must feel like they are constantly up against it, that constant fear of not getting paid but they have kept going, haven’t they?” said the former centre-forward.

“They keep coming into work every day and try to keep the club going under very difficult circumstances, so it’s a difficult situation for everyone.”

Despite the problems which have mounted up around the University of Bolton Stadium in the last seven days, those who report for duty have ensured the club continues to function.

Two major events were held at the Whites Hotel over the weekend, while Wanderers’ trip to Swansea City went off without a hitch.

On the playing side, the 2-0 defeat at the Liberty Stadium summed up how things have gone of late for Phil Parkinson’s men, themselves unpaid.

They held on to a point with nine men until 10 minutes from the end but emerged empty-handed thanks to late goals from Oli McBurnie and Bersant Celina.

Parkinson has come in for criticism from sections of the Wanderers support but few would argue his job has been an easy one. Davies feels his biggest challenge looking ahead to this weekend’s game against Millwall – assuming it goes ahead – will be to keep his players on task.

“As a manager he has got a difficult job with the form that they are in but they have to find a way to try and take the emphasis away from the things going on off the pitch and try to find a way to put some points on the board because it is starting to slip away from them,” he said.

Wanderers slipped seven points from safety and their inferior goal difference also works against them. But the month of March brings with it some big games, and Davies feels some positive results could make all the difference, provided things calm down off the field.

“They are probably the kind of games they want at the moment. They need to take three or four points from the two home games they have got coming up – Millwall and Sheffield Wednesday – and then it’s Wigan Athletic away.

“Time is starting to slip away. They need to start putting some big performances in on the pitch at home and it’s the manager’s job to try and keep all those things that are happening around the club away from the pitch,” he told BBC Radio Manchester.

Millwall boss Neil Harris has called on his team to bounce back to form after successive defeats to Preston, Hull and Norwich.

“It’s a huge game for us but it is a game that Bolton have to win,” he told The South London Press. “For us, it’s an opportunity to derail one of the teams below us and that’s hugely important.

“I mean it in the nicest possible sense, but I don’t want Bolton to gain any points from us. We have got to be ruthless in our approach.

“I expect us to go to Bolton and put in a Millwall performance – fight for every ball. I expect us to be winners.

“It’s a huge game because the last three results haven’t been good enough for us.

“We’ve put ourselves in the situation we’ve had to win big games over the last few years and this is a group who have won them at key moments.

“They have to step up. There is no hiding from the fact it is a six-pointer. I can’t wait to see my troops battle and fight. We have to make sure that we’re dogged and resilient against a big, physical Bolton team.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum