You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » Boris Johnson to be our next Prime Minister?

Boris Johnson to be our next Prime Minister?

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 14]

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@T.R.O.Y wrote:
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:Do people not eat when they go to America. I never got a reply. I assume they don't considering it's clearly dangerous.

The point isn't whether it's dangerous, there's evidence to support both sides of that, either opinion can be justified.

The issue is we're in danger of having our regulations dictated by an unelected foreign power, which was, of course, a key reason to leave the EU. So why are you not kicking off about it?

Well accept their food onto our shelves I assume. 

Unless they say we can only stock American products and nothing else I don't really have a problem with it.

People will choose what they wish to eat.

T.R.O.Y


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Foreign interference, this isn’t what brexit was about, but we’re not a great power and we will be a junior partner. At least with the EU we could lead on issues.

Reality will kick in at some point, some will realise we’ve gained nothing doing this. Others will blame anyone and everything they can no matter how intangible (doom and gloom).

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Boris Johnson to be our next Prime Minister? - Page 12 American-Poodle

T.R.O.Y


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Good flag Bonce, Big Dons probably planning a merger as we speak.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@T.R.O.Y wrote:Foreign interference, this isn’t what brexit was about, but we’re not a great power and we will be a junior partner. At least with the EU we could lead on issues.

Reality will kick in at some point, some will realise we’ve gained nothing doing this. Others will blame anyone and everything they can no matter how intangible (doom and gloom).

It's not foreign interference if we choose to have their food on our shelves. 

It would be if they went on to demand that all our food is chlorine washed. 

Don't think that's the plan though.

xmiles

xmiles
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:Why wouldn't you? 

Would we no longer stock British meat?

You won't know where the meat comes from or how it has been treated if we are forced to adopt American food standards.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@xmiles wrote:
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:Why wouldn't you? 

Would we no longer stock British meat?

You won't know where the meat comes from or how it has been treated if we are forced to adopt American food standards.

But we wouldn't. We would be accepting their food with their standards on to our shelves. It isn't a ban on stocking food from everywhere else in the world and labelling it as we choose.

xmiles

xmiles
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:
@xmiles wrote:
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:Why wouldn't you? 

Would we no longer stock British meat?

You won't know where the meat comes from or how it has been treated if we are forced to adopt American food standards.

But we wouldn't. We would be accepting their food with their standards on to our shelves. It isn't a ban on stocking food from everywhere else in the world and labelling it as we choose.

So every time you eat meat you will be checking where it is from?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@xmiles wrote:
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:
@xmiles wrote:
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:Why wouldn't you? 

Would we no longer stock British meat?

You won't know where the meat comes from or how it has been treated if we are forced to adopt American food standards.

But we wouldn't. We would be accepting their food with their standards on to our shelves. It isn't a ban on stocking food from everywhere else in the world and labelling it as we choose.

So every time you eat meat you will be checking where it is from?

It's printed on the packet. And if I was concerned about chlorine washing, as you and Troy seem to be, you'd be able to avoid it? What's the big deal. 

I thought you said you wouldn't know where it was from.

T.R.O.Y


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Where have I said I’m worried about it? I don’t eat meat, so it doesn’t affect me personally.

I never saw it as an issue because that’s what happens in free trade agreements, regulations are aligned - it’s Brexiteers who had an issue with this.

My point is that this is foreign interference, which was apparently such an issue under the EU we’re sacrificing our economic security to get away from it. So I’m surprised you’re so quick to dismiss it should it happen with the US.



Last edited by T.R.O.Y on Thu Aug 15 2019, 23:11; edited 1 time in total

xmiles

xmiles
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:
@xmiles wrote:
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:
@xmiles wrote:
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:Why wouldn't you? 

Would we no longer stock British meat?

You won't know where the meat comes from or how it has been treated if we are forced to adopt American food standards.

But we wouldn't. We would be accepting their food with their standards on to our shelves. It isn't a ban on stocking food from everywhere else in the world and labelling it as we choose.

So every time you eat meat you will be checking where it is from?

It's printed on the packet. And if I was concerned about chlorine washing, as you and Troy seem to be, you'd be able to avoid it? What's the big deal. 

I thought you said you wouldn't know where it was from.

So presumably you never eat meat in restaurants or takeaways. People in hospitals, nursing homes and schools will not know the source of the meat and it is a pretty safe bet that these institutions will buy the cheapest stuff available.

If you took the trouble to read any information about this issue you would know chlorine is only one of many problems. The Americans have much lower food safety standards than the EU.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@xmiles wrote:
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:
@xmiles wrote:
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:
@xmiles wrote:
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:Why wouldn't you? 

Would we no longer stock British meat?

You won't know where the meat comes from or how it has been treated if we are forced to adopt American food standards.

But we wouldn't. We would be accepting their food with their standards on to our shelves. It isn't a ban on stocking food from everywhere else in the world and labelling it as we choose.

So every time you eat meat you will be checking where it is from?

It's printed on the packet. And if I was concerned about chlorine washing, as you and Troy seem to be, you'd be able to avoid it? What's the big deal. 

I thought you said you wouldn't know where it was from.

So presumably you never eat meat in restaurants or takeaways. People in hospitals, nursing homes and schools will not know the source of the meat and it is a pretty safe bet that these institutions will buy the cheapest stuff available.

If you took the trouble to read any information about this issue you would know chlorine is only one of many problems. The Americans have much lower food safety standards than the EU.

If you're concerned about it. You can ask. Essentially nothing has changed.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@T.R.O.Y wrote:Where have I said I’m worried about it? I don’t eat meat, so it doesn’t affect me personally.

I never saw it as an issue because that’s what happens in free trade agreements, regulations are aligned - it’s Brexiteers who had an issue with this.

My point is that this is foreign interference, which was apparently such an issue under the EU we’re sacrificing our economic security to get away from it. So I’m surprised you’re so quick to dismiss it should it happen with the US.

How is it foreign interference when we are choosing to accept their products. 

As with many of these stories it's just blown up out of all proportion to alarm people.

xmiles

xmiles
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:
@xmiles wrote:
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:
@xmiles wrote:
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:
@xmiles wrote:
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:Why wouldn't you? 

Would we no longer stock British meat?

You won't know where the meat comes from or how it has been treated if we are forced to adopt American food standards.

But we wouldn't. We would be accepting their food with their standards on to our shelves. It isn't a ban on stocking food from everywhere else in the world and labelling it as we choose.

So every time you eat meat you will be checking where it is from?

It's printed on the packet. And if I was concerned about chlorine washing, as you and Troy seem to be, you'd be able to avoid it? What's the big deal. 

I thought you said you wouldn't know where it was from.

Totally missing the point as usual.  Rolling Eyes

So presumably you never eat meat in restaurants or takeaways. People in hospitals, nursing homes and schools will not know the source of the meat and it is a pretty safe bet that these institutions will buy the cheapest stuff available.

If you took the trouble to read any information about this issue you would know chlorine is only one of many problems. The Americans have much lower food safety standards than the EU.

If you're concerned about it. You can ask. Essentially nothing has changed.

Totally missing the point as usual. Rolling Eyes



Last edited by xmiles on Sat Aug 17 2019, 09:03; edited 1 time in total

T.R.O.Y


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:
@T.R.O.Y wrote:Where have I said I’m worried about it? I don’t eat meat, so it doesn’t affect me personally.

I never saw it as an issue because that’s what happens in free trade agreements, regulations are aligned - it’s Brexiteers who had an issue with this.

My point is that this is foreign interference, which was apparently such an issue under the EU we’re sacrificing our economic security to get away from it. So I’m surprised you’re so quick to dismiss it should it happen with the US.

How is it foreign interference when we are choosing to accept their products. 

As with many of these stories it's just blown up out of all proportion to alarm people.

You're missing the point. How would stocking those products affect the food standards on our shelves?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@T.R.O.Y wrote:
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:
@T.R.O.Y wrote:Where have I said I’m worried about it? I don’t eat meat, so it doesn’t affect me personally.

I never saw it as an issue because that’s what happens in free trade agreements, regulations are aligned - it’s Brexiteers who had an issue with this.

My point is that this is foreign interference, which was apparently such an issue under the EU we’re sacrificing our economic security to get away from it. So I’m surprised you’re so quick to dismiss it should it happen with the US.

How is it foreign interference when we are choosing to accept their products. 

As with many of these stories it's just blown up out of all proportion to alarm people.

You're missing the point. How would stocking those products affect the food standards on our shelves?

If you think they have lower standards then we would be accepting their lower standards onto our shelves.

It's not foreign interference as you said. And it wouldn't lead to us not knowing about our food as xmiles said. Both nonsense.

T.R.O.Y


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
It’s not just that I think they have a lower standards, they do. Unless you know more about it than professional regulators? Looser regulations benefit the meat industry/farmers.

As I’ve already said, I think calling this foreign interference is an exaggeration - exactly as it was under the EU - it’s just the realities of a trade deal. But it was lapped up as interfering with our sovereignty. So I find it confusing Brexiteers are up for one kind of interference but not the other. Maybe you, Karly or Glos can explain the difference.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I suppose with some mental gymnastics you could say we have chosen to live with the EU regs we have now. 

We also chose to leave the EU. Not that we ever will.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
I don't know HN, its starting to look more likely, especially when people are confronted with the possibility of Corbyn running the country. 
We do need some sort of deal, but if the EU still believe that Parliament will manage to stop the government, they will offer nothing, and out we go, with no deal.

sunlight

sunlight
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
All I want is a room somewhere, far away from the cold night air.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
@sunlight wrote:All I want is a room somewhere, far away from the cold night air.
Will it need to be of the padded variety?  Very Happy

sunlight

sunlight
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
@gloswhite wrote:
@sunlight wrote:All I want is a room somewhere, far away from the cold night air.
Will it need to be of the padded variety?  Very Happy
For those who have read it. It is a line of prose from `Pygmalion` or ` my fair lady` by a character called Eliza Doolittle.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
@sunlight wrote:
@gloswhite wrote:
@sunlight wrote:All I want is a room somewhere, far away from the cold night air.
Will it need to be of the padded variety?  Very Happy
For those who have read it. It is a line of prose from `Pygmalion` or ` my fair lady` by a character called Eliza Doolittle.
I haven't read Pygmalion. 

Can a similar reference be found in any Science Fiction tomes ?  Very Happy

Its all I read now, much better than the real world.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
@gloswhite wrote:
@sunlight wrote:
@gloswhite wrote:
@sunlight wrote:All I want is a room somewhere, far away from the cold night air.
Will it need to be of the padded variety?  Very Happy
For those who have read it. It is a line of prose from `Pygmalion` or ` my fair lady` by a character called Eliza Doolittle.
I haven't read Pygmalion. 

Can a similar reference be found in any Science Fiction tomes ?  Very Happy

Its all I read now, much better than the real world.
XM, I'm expecting you to come back with some sort of reference to me not reading, and Brexit  Very Happy

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
George Bernard Shaw ( a rampant socialist - I think he was a Fabian) wrote Pygmalion-  and the songs for my Fair Lady, on which it was based, were written by Frederick Loewe.. You'll really have to search for a reference to Brexit in that lot.
Although Rex Harrison was in the film-  and rex is halfof brexit-  so is that the connection?

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@rammywhite wrote:George Bernard Shaw ( a rampant socialist - I think he was a Fabian) wrote Pygmalion-  and the songs for my Fair Lady, on which it was based, were written by Frederick Loewe.. You'll really have to search for a reference to Brexit in that lot.
Although Rex Harrison was in the film-  and rex is halfof brexit-  so is that the connection?
I'm a Fabian myself. Not often the society gets a mention on here.
As for Glos and his SF reading, the Germans are once again at the forefront.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/30/german-scifi-fans-reading-dystopia-brexit-britain

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
@boltonbonce wrote:
@rammywhite wrote:George Bernard Shaw ( a rampant socialist - I think he was a Fabian) wrote Pygmalion-  and the songs for my Fair Lady, on which it was based, were written by Frederick Loewe.. You'll really have to search for a reference to Brexit in that lot.
Although Rex Harrison was in the film-  and rex is halfof brexit-  so is that the connection?
I'm a Fabian myself. Not often the society gets a mention on here.
As for Glos and his SF reading, the Germans are once again at the forefront.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/30/german-scifi-fans-reading-dystopia-brexit-britain
Good for you BB-  I have great sympathy for the type of socialism the the early Fabians showed-  so different from what is on offer as socialism  in the UK nowadays.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Still makes me laugh. As does this.

sunlight

sunlight
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
I wasnt referencing the book or the character ` Eliza Doolittle`. I was referencing those lines of that particular song. Also all the song, But those lines quoted mainly, as an anthem of the poor if we get a no-deal Tory Brexit, which no-one voted for, and half the Tories are against also.

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum