You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » Great day for sport today!

Great day for sport today!

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

31Great day for sport today! - Page 2 Empty Re: Great day for sport today! on Sun Jul 14 2019, 21:49

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Sorry Nat, but cricket has taken a turn for the worse. I never thought I'd see the day when I was fed up with cricket, but I reached that point some time ago.
We have so many one day games now, that, quite frankly, I no longer care. No sooner has one biff bang wallop ended, than another one comes along, and you forget everything that went before.
To make matters worse, Test Cricket, as I used to know it, has become a glorified limited overs game, with players no longer content to build an innings, leaving many Test Matches now over in three days.
I know they want to bring new converts in, but in doing so, they're losing the essence of cricket.
Some of the members at Lords, have, on many occasions over the past few years, been seen to be awake. This is a situation that cannot be allowed to continue.
I was brought up on Boycott and Tavare. This biff bang wallop stuff must cease.

32Great day for sport today! - Page 2 Empty Re: Great day for sport today! on Sun Jul 14 2019, 22:00

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@boltonbonce wrote:I was brought up on Boycott and Tavare. This biff bang wallop stuff must cease.

So you enjoy "Parky" cricket?

Sorry, I can't understand how you'd prefer a Boycott-like innings over a Buttler or Stokes biff bang.

33Great day for sport today! - Page 2 Empty Re: Great day for sport today! on Sun Jul 14 2019, 22:06

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
Never been interested in cricket and never will be daft looking game.

34Great day for sport today! - Page 2 Empty Re: Great day for sport today! on Sun Jul 14 2019, 22:12

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Natasha Whittam wrote:
@boltonbonce wrote:I was brought up on Boycott and Tavare. This biff bang wallop stuff must cease.

So you enjoy "Parky" cricket?

Sorry, I can't understand how you'd prefer a Boycott-like innings over a Buttler or Stokes biff bang.

It's a bit like snooker. Watching players banging in huge breaks is all well and good, but it only really gets interesting when it becomes tactical.
Boycott and co, could be dull, but they knew a Test lasted five days, and the way to win was to occupy the crease. Watching great bowlers ply their trade against such men is what made Test cricket so fascinating for me.
And they weren't all like Boycott. Greenidge, Richards, Lara, Botham et al, were all capable of 
fireworks, but could still incorporate their brilliance into a well constructed and patient innings.
Unfortunately, cricket is being turned into a game for people who don't really like cricket, but will give it a go if the bails light up.

35Great day for sport today! - Page 2 Empty Re: Great day for sport today! on Sun Jul 14 2019, 22:20

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@boltonbonce wrote:It's a bit like snooker. Watching players banging in huge breaks is all well and good, but it only really gets interesting when it becomes tactical.
Boycott and co, could be dull, but they knew a Test lasted five days, and the way to win was to occupy the crease. Watching great bowlers ply their trade against such men is what made Test cricket so fascinating for me.
And they weren't all like Boycott. Greenidge, Richards, Lara, Botham et al, were all capable of 
fireworks, but could still incorporate their brilliance into a well constructed and patient innings.
Unfortunately, cricket is being turned into a game for people who don't really like cricket, but will give it a go if the bails light up.

Each to their own, but I'm not convinced cricket could have survived without the new era of big hitting. Yes, those players you name were fantastic, but they stand out because they could hit the ball hard and far. Nowadays there are loads of players who can do that.

36Great day for sport today! - Page 2 Empty Re: Great day for sport today! on Sun Jul 14 2019, 22:32

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Natasha Whittam wrote:
@boltonbonce wrote:It's a bit like snooker. Watching players banging in huge breaks is all well and good, but it only really gets interesting when it becomes tactical.

Each to their own, but I'm not convinced cricket could have survived without the new era of big hitting. Yes, those players you name were fantastic, but they stand out because they could hit the ball hard and far. Nowadays there are loads of players who can do that.
I suppose it's a question of evolve or die, but I can see a time in the not too distant future when they're playing with four stumps and every alternate over having to be bowled underarm.

37Great day for sport today! - Page 2 Empty Re: Great day for sport today! on Mon Jul 15 2019, 01:25

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
@sunlight wrote:I think New Zealand got gypped.

I do too.

They are the moral victors if not the actual ones.

Edge of the seat stuff though. amazing finish (in normal time) but even then NZ should have been given the result because although the scores were tied, they had lost less wickets getting it.

I'm pleased for so many players, such as Morgan, Stokes and Archer but equally heartbroken for the NZ lads who seemed to get the rough end of the deal.

Contrary to Bonce's views, I think the game was the winner here and more youngsters will want to pick up a bat and ball than watching Sir Geoffrey (who I am one of his biggest fans) grind down his opponents by batting for the best part of four days for about seven runs!

38Great day for sport today! - Page 2 Empty Re: Great day for sport today! on Mon Jul 15 2019, 08:46

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
It might be worth having a vote on the most boring sportsman ever. I'd plump for Eddie Charlton.

39Great day for sport today! - Page 2 Empty Re: Great day for sport today! on Mon Jul 15 2019, 08:50

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I have to agree with Nat, i've been going to watch cricket for many years and the game has never been in better health.  Until they jazzed up the one day game and brought in 20/20 the whole sport was dying on it's arse.
The only issue i can see with it is this new stupid 100 game they are bringing out, That really is the game for people who don't know anything about cricket.

As for the final i thought we have blown it at 80 odd for 4 but Stokes and Buttler were immense and as for the finish and the super over - all i can say is wow!

40Great day for sport today! - Page 2 Empty Re: Great day for sport today! on Mon Jul 15 2019, 11:16

okocha

okocha
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Nat and Norpig are 100% right (there's a sentence I never thought I'd write!) 

There is room for both Test Matches and One-Dayers. It's easy to love both for the different approaches needed, but they each provide unbearable, long-drawn-out tension when close. 2005 Ashes almost rivalled yesterday. Different skill sets, but plenty of scope to admire both. Tactical strategy, stamina, skill make these sports fascinating.

I love playing cricket and tennis. Golf is equally dependent on skill and can be just as tense over a long period.   It's "sports" like F1 and cycling that leave me cold.

41Great day for sport today! - Page 2 Empty Re: Great day for sport today! on Mon Jul 15 2019, 12:04

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
I see Monty Panesar has said that England's win will hopefully boost the popularity of the sport because cricket is dying in England.He said the grounds would have been half empty at this tournament if supporters of other teams particularly India hadn't been buying tickets.

42Great day for sport today! - Page 2 Empty Re: Great day for sport today! on Mon Jul 15 2019, 12:22

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Not sure Monty is right about that, Test cricket still gets full houses wherever they play and the one day and 20/20's are well attended. County cricket on the other hand gets one man and a dog watching that so that is something they need to look at.

43Great day for sport today! - Page 2 Empty Re: Great day for sport today! on Mon Jul 15 2019, 12:24

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Norpig wrote:Not sure Monty is right about that, Test cricket still gets full houses wherever they play and the one day and 20/20's are well attended. County cricket on the other hand gets one man and a god watching that so that is something they need to look at.
Any sport that can attract a God is doing ok Mr Pig. Very Happy

44Great day for sport today! - Page 2 Empty Re: Great day for sport today! on Mon Jul 15 2019, 13:17

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
You spotted it before i changed it Boncey, very observant  Laughing

45Great day for sport today! - Page 2 Empty Re: Great day for sport today! on Mon Jul 15 2019, 13:59

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Very Happy

46Great day for sport today! - Page 2 Empty Re: Great day for sport today! on Mon Jul 15 2019, 15:12

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

47Great day for sport today! - Page 2 Empty Re: Great day for sport today! on Tue Jul 16 2019, 14:31

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
For once I agree with Nat completely. Back when I was a kid the West Indies were the supermen of cricket and no one could match them least of all an at best decent England team. Watching the likes of Viv Richards and Malcolm Marshall play at their best was a joy.

Sky have mostly improved cricket and in the one day game at least have made it much more entertaining. I don't rate the idea of "The Hundred", I think that's a gimmick too far but both 20/20 and the 50 over game have become much faster and much more fun to watch. This has inevitably knocked on to Test Cricket where a snooze fest draw with a 2 an over run rate is by and large a thing of the past. While Sky may have done a lot wrong with football I think they have been good for cricket, both the game and the audience.

48Great day for sport today! - Page 2 Empty Re: Great day for sport today! on Tue Jul 16 2019, 14:44

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Meanwhile County cricket plays out to empty grounds.

49Great day for sport today! - Page 2 Empty Re: Great day for sport today! on Tue Jul 16 2019, 14:46

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@boltonbonce wrote:Meanwhile County cricket plays out to empty grounds.

It always has.

50Great day for sport today! - Page 2 Empty Re: Great day for sport today! on Tue Jul 16 2019, 14:47

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I mentioned that in my post (one man and his god  Very Happy) and that is an issue. That is why 20/20, one dayers and internationals if you can get them are massively important to clubs. Lancashire wouldn't survive without that revenue.
I've only ever been to one county game years ago. It was against Yorkshire so you would expect a few in but it was dead and it's not improved from what i can see.

51Great day for sport today! - Page 2 Empty Re: Great day for sport today! on Tue Jul 16 2019, 14:55

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Natasha Whittam wrote:
@boltonbonce wrote:Meanwhile County cricket plays out to empty grounds.

It always has.
But at least your Test players could play for their respective county. Now they're contracted to the England and Wales Cricket Board, and rarely see a county game.
On another note, what about the extra run we were given. The Kiwi's took it well. I don't think we'd have heard the last of it from the Aussies.

52Great day for sport today! - Page 2 Empty Re: Great day for sport today! on Tue Jul 16 2019, 14:59

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I don't think it would have mattered if we had to get one more. Stokes said he knew he couldn't put it in the air just in case but if he needed 3 then he would have had no choice. The ball was a full toss so i reckon he would have hammered it for 4 or 6 if he knew he had to.

It was a bonkers game, the bat overthrows, Boult stepping on the boundary when he caught it meaning it was a 6 and the super over. You'll never see another game like that.

53Great day for sport today! - Page 2 Empty Re: Great day for sport today! on Wed Jul 24 2019, 13:37

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
England - World Cup winners - bowled out for just 85 today in a four day test match against Ireland.

IRELAND!!!!

ALL OUT BEFORE LUNCH!!!!

Back to normal service it is then!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/47324462

54Great day for sport today! - Page 2 Empty Re: Great day for sport today! on Wed Jul 24 2019, 17:00

sunlight

sunlight
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
New Zealand were gypped in the World Cup Final. They won it.

55Great day for sport today! - Page 2 Empty Re: Great day for sport today! on Wed Jul 24 2019, 17:05

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@sunlight wrote:New Zealand were gypped in the World Cup Final. They won it.
They took it well to be fair. The Australian's would have been different.

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum