You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Bolton Wanderers News » Bolton Wanderers boss angry with Northern Ireland striker Josh Magennis

Bolton Wanderers boss angry with Northern Ireland striker Josh Magennis

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Phil Parkinson does not know whether wantaway striker Josh Magennis will play for Wanderers again.

The Northern Ireland international refused to board the team bus heading for Wycombe on Saturday less than 24 hours before kick-off.

It is understood contracted players, including Magennis, were paid their overdue wages on Friday lunchtime but that there was a discrepancy which threatened at one stage to trigger another player strike.

Five senior players did travel to Wycombe – Remi Matthews, Jason Lowe, Erhun Oztumer and Luke Murphy anchoring a side that also included three signings sanctioned on the morning of the game: Harry Brockbank, Josh Earl and James Weir.

Parkinson admitted his frustration, however, that Magennis had dropped the bombshell so close to the team travelling.

“Josh put in his notice like quite a few of the lads and he was obviously hugely frustrated by not being paid for five months,” he told The Bolton News. “He put that in, the administrators appealed against it, and there is a hearing, going forward.

“My gripe with Josh is that he told us just as we were walking out to training and we’d picked the team and he knew we were already struggling.

“We know he is a very emotional lad, and it has affected him mentally in terms of what has happened, his career, and not getting any money.

“We will have to wait for the hearing to see whether Josh stays or whether he goes.”

It is not yet known when Magennis’ case will be heard but Parkinson says he will speak with the 28-year-old this week to assess whether he could be involved in next weekend’s home game against Coventry City.

“It was quite a brief chat I had with Josh, a rather heated exchange as you’d imagine,” the manager said. “We were already under immense stress as a management team coming into this game.

“But when the dust has settled over the weekend we’ll assess what damage has been done.”

Source

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Just get rid of him, he's burned his bridges with the fans now anyway. Imagine what would happen if he did play on Saturday?

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
I don't often resort to language like this but I would tell him to collect his belongings and fuck off

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
@rammywhite wrote:I don't often resort to language like this but I would tell him to collect his belongings and fuck off
I don't resort to this kind of language either Rammy :yeahright: , fine the C@#t two weeks wages and then sack him, piece of shit  Shocked

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Very Happy

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
I disagree. Who can really blame Magennis when he's been stuck with this Mickey Mouse outfit for so long. Frankly with the amount of sheer BS that's been fed to the players and fans I'd have walked long ago. With today's latest silence and the supposed scoop from Nixon about someone ELSE coming in for the Hotel and possibly club I'm rapidly losing interest in whether we survive or not.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@luckyPeterpiper wrote:I disagree. Who can really blame Magennis when he's been stuck with this Mickey Mouse outfit for so long.

I think you're in the minority of one.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Probably Nat but can anyone really say he's wrong? If I didn't get paid I'd look for another job wouldn't you? Personally I think if someone is unpaid for five consecutive months it can't come as a surprise when that employee says "sorry I'm gonna work somewhere else that pays me on time" even if you eventually catch up with their wages. And given the utter carp that's going on now who's to say it won't happen again? Nope, I may be alone in this but I don't blame Magennis at all.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@luckyPeterpiper wrote:Probably Nat but can anyone really say he's wrong? If I didn't get paid I'd look for another job wouldn't you? Personally I think if someone is unpaid for five consecutive months it can't come as a surprise when that employee says "sorry I'm gonna work somewhere else that pays me on time" even if you eventually catch up with their wages. And given the utter carp that's going on now who's to say it won't happen again? Nope, I may be alone in this but I don't blame Magennis at all.

I might well look for another job, but I wouldn't refuse to work for my current employer until my new position was confirmed. Especially if my wages were guaranteed to be paid eventually.




Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
@luckyPeterpiper wrote:Probably Nat but can anyone really say he's wrong? If I didn't get paid I'd look for another job wouldn't you? Personally I think if someone is unpaid for five consecutive months it can't come as a surprise when that employee says "sorry I'm gonna work somewhere else that pays me on time" even if you eventually catch up with their wages. And given the utter carp that's going on now who's to say it won't happen again? Nope, I may be alone in this but I don't blame Magennis at all.

Thing was though Peter he was paid in full!

However because he had already received loans from the PFA they were deducted from his final amount.

It was that he had not agreed for the deductions to have been paid back to the PFA that he was pissed about - ALL the other first team players travelled.

The bloke is just looking for a reason for the club to let him go and for him to pick up a big fat signing on check from Rangers.


luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Maybe so sluffy but I'm going to reiterate something I've said for years.

Being a professional footballer is a job, nothing more and Josh Magennis' first loyalty MUST be to his family and himself same as mine, yours and any other workers. If he can earn more and get better conditions elsewhere then he should do just that. He owes Bolton Wanderers nothing and frankly this crap about betraying the club makes me tired. Fans may be partisan, in fact they will be and I'm as partisan as any of us but players simply cannot afford that sort of sentiment.

And face it, at Rangers he can at least be confident he'll get paid by his employer and on time which is a hell of a lot more than can be said here. Given the latest garbled messages on the takeover I don't blame Magennis a bit for wanting away and doing whatever's needed to force the issue if necessary. Do you? Really?

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I'm sure he had what he considered good reasons for refusing to play, but I just think he'd have got a lot of credit for going down and leading the line for those youngsters.
He'd be leaving with no ill will if he had.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@luckyPeterpiper wrote:Being a professional footballer is a job, nothing more

What a load of nonsense.

It's amazing how many "fans" have lost touch with real football.

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
We’re shit with him and shit without him. Seems pretty obvious what needs to happen.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Ill will? Good will doesn't put money in the bank, pay the bills or feed the family. The club failed to meet it's contractual obligations and Magennis has every right to look elsewhere once that happens. The fact the club are now attempting to force him to stay just shows the level of short sighted stupidity being displayed at BWFC and by the administrators. Frankly if I was Magennis I'd countersue for restriction of trade and for the club's repeated failure to honour the contract they signed.

Remember this, if a player is unpaid for 2 months he is automatically a free agent and can leave immediately. The fact he and so many others stayed for five months even though their wages were only paid in part thanks to loans from the PFA says to me at least that he showed loyalty, a lot of it and frankly more than I would have. He's now given his notice as is his right and the club is well and truly wrong to try and force him to stay and paint him as the bad guy.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I'm sorry. I'd no idea his family were starving.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Whether they are or not is beside the point and you know it bonce. This mantra that footballers should take whatever crap is dished out because they get paid a lot is dumb. They're employees, they expect to be paid on time as per their contract. Why should they have less rights to expect that than anyone else? It's not about the amount, it's the basic priniciple. The amount is irrelevant and given the fact the players were NOT paid and had to get handouts from the PFA to get any money at all negates the argument that somehow Magennis had it easy. Sure he hasn't had it as hard as the staff who needed to use a food bank but that doesn't change the basic fact. BWFC violated their contractual obligations repeatedly and he's got every right to leave if he feels that's best for his family and himself. Frankly I think it's a wonder any of them stayed let alone for so long. And please don't bother to say they were rubbish so didn't deserve paying, contracts don't work that way. In any other line of business we'd be up in arms on the workers behalf if they went through what the staff including the manager and players have been through and we'd cheer on someone who decided enough was enough and took a better job elsewhere.

Lest you forget the takeover STILL isn't done and there's no guarantee BWFC will even exist in a month as yet. Magennis may just be getting out before the Titanic finally goes down once and for all.

Biggie

Biggie
Admin
I don't see what point he was making by refusing to pay other than sticking his feet in the ground to be awkward. 
He could still have played and still have left. 
No wonder we got relegated and it looked like the players weren't interested. It's because they Really Were Not Interested.

http://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I'm interested in this concept that playing football is just a job.
Couldn't we employ supporters too? I'd willingly accept the minimum wage, although if a Championship club came calling, I'd be foolish not to accept.
I'd like to stay in this country, if possible, but a move abroad wouldn't be out of the question.
Age is against me in many respects, but my experience is invaluable.My early days in the Lever end has also left me with a large collection of useful chants.
If you can call 'Who's the bastard in the black' a chant.
I'll sit anywhere.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Bonce I appreciate the droll humour but you know as well as I do that the days of players coming from the local town and spending their whole career with one club are long gone and never coming back. For them it's a job, how they make their living and if they like the club they're at so much the better but they are like most employees going to take their services to the place that pays them the most and gives them the best conditions. At the end of the day their loyalty, like mine and yours to be frank is firstly to family and self which is as it should be.

Whether or not Magennis has handled this badly is actually beside the point. He's within his rights and the only reason the club are trying to block it is they want a fee for him, something I personally feel is a joke given they couldn't even pay him on time for almost half a year.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum