You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » So much for parliamentary democracy

So much for parliamentary democracy

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

1So much for parliamentary democracy Empty So much for parliamentary democracy on Wed Aug 28 2019, 09:18

xmiles

xmiles
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49493632

I thought brexiteers were supposed to be big fans of democracy. Apparently not.

2So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Wed Aug 28 2019, 09:32

okocha

okocha
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
A lesson in how to cause even more division in our troubled country. Tin-pot dictatorship springs to mind

3So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Wed Aug 28 2019, 09:34

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@xmiles wrote:I thought brexiteers were supposed to be big fans of democracy. Apparently not.

Isn't democracy to have a vote and then honour the result of that vote?

I don't remember democracy being: have a vote, if you don't like the result try and have another vote until you get the result you want.

4So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Wed Aug 28 2019, 09:57

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Natasha Whittam wrote:
@xmiles wrote:I thought brexiteers were supposed to be big fans of democracy. Apparently not.

Isn't democracy to have a vote and then honour the result of that vote?

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Remainers only like it when it goes their way!

5So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Wed Aug 28 2019, 10:00

xmiles

xmiles
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
@Natasha Whittam wrote:
@xmiles wrote:I thought brexiteers were supposed to be big fans of democracy. Apparently not.

Isn't democracy to have a vote and then honour the result of that vote?

I don't remember democracy being: have a vote, if you don't like the result try and have another vote until you get the result you want.

We are supposed to live in a parliamentary democracy. Suspending parliament for personal gain is a blatant abuse of power and fundamentally anti democratic.

As for keeping having votes until you get the result you want, that is the whole basis of the brexit campaign. We voted to join the EU but brexiteers in the Tory party kept whining about it until Cameron pandered to them and held a referendum.

6So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Wed Aug 28 2019, 10:02

xmiles

xmiles
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
@karlypants wrote:
@Natasha Whittam wrote:
@xmiles wrote:I thought brexiteers were supposed to be big fans of democracy. Apparently not.

Isn't democracy to have a vote and then honour the result of that vote?

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Remainers only like it when it goes their way!

You have that the wrong way round. Brexiteers would not accept the vote to join the EU and have whined about ever since. The referendum in 2016 was a second vote because brexiteers could not accept the first vote.

7So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Wed Aug 28 2019, 10:06

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@xmiles wrote:We are supposed to live in a parliamentary democracy. Suspending parliament for personal gain is a blatant abuse of power and fundamentally anti democratic.

As for keeping having votes until you get the result you want, that is the whole basis of the brexit campaign. We voted to join the EU but brexiteers in the Tory party kept whining about it until Cameron pandered to them and held a referendum.

Pathetic response.

Let's say Labour won the next election by a slim margin. If a few weeks later people were saying we need to have another election you'd rightly laugh in their faces.

We had a vote, leave won, the result has to be honoured. And if that means shutting down parliament to make sure the leave process can't be stopped then so be it.



8So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Wed Aug 28 2019, 10:10

xmiles

xmiles
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
@Natasha Whittam wrote:
@xmiles wrote:We are supposed to live in a parliamentary democracy. Suspending parliament for personal gain is a blatant abuse of power and fundamentally anti democratic.

As for keeping having votes until you get the result you want, that is the whole basis of the brexit campaign. We voted to join the EU but brexiteers in the Tory party kept whining about it until Cameron pandered to them and held a referendum.

Pathetic response.

Let's say Labour won the next election by a slim margin. If a few weeks later people were saying we need to have another election you'd rightly laugh in their faces.

We had a vote, leave won, the result has to be honoured. And if that means shutting down parliament to make sure the leave process can't be stopped then so be it.




Truly your response is pathetic. You ignore the two basic points I made.

!. the 2016 referendum was the SECOND vote and brexit does not honour that vote.
2. do you even understand what the words parliamentary democracy mean?

9So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Wed Aug 28 2019, 11:25

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Omg the remainer tears are going to be delicious. 

Having said that the establishment judges and anti democrats like fat fuck Ian blackford will find a way to stop it. 

Money talks.

10So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Wed Aug 28 2019, 11:44

T.R.O.Y


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Not great this, nobody’s voted for no deal so there’s no grounds for forcing it through in this manner.

The sooner we can get this government out the better, only hope this accelerates their demise.

11So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Wed Aug 28 2019, 12:35

okocha

okocha
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
"This is from the party, from the man, who promised this was all about bringing back control and bringing sovereignty back to the UK Parliament - and one of his first acts as prime minister is to ask for Parliament to be suspended.
"We all know what this is really about - this is about avoiding scrutiny of the disaster of a reckless no-deal Brexit.
"It is a slippery slope, a dangerous road to embark on to undermine the accountability of Parliament."
The primary concern of all of us should be to ensure that the future of the UK and its citizens is not based on a gamble. What we know now is not the same as it was in 2016. The pitfalls are now clear. After a certain amount of time it becomes legitimate to question whether the public have changed their minds.
Surely Boris would not want the likely horrendous consequences of such rashness to be laid at his door.if the gamble fails. He would go down in history for all the wrong reasons. Only a fool would rely on the capricious Trump for trade deals.
In the end, this is about trust and there are too many liars sounding off to be able to pin our faith in any of them. Not dissimilar to trusting Anderson or Bassini

12So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Wed Aug 28 2019, 12:40

xmiles

xmiles
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
@okocha wrote:"This is from the party, from the man, who promised this was all about bringing back control and bringing sovereignty back to the UK Parliament - and one of his first acts as prime minister is to ask for Parliament to be suspended.
"We all know what this is really about - this is about avoiding scrutiny of the disaster of a reckless no-deal Brexit.
"It is a slippery slope, a dangerous road to embark on to undermine the accountability of Parliament."
The primary concern of all of us should be to ensure that the future of the UK and its citizens is not based on a gamble. What we know now is not the same as it was in 2016. The pitfalls are now clear. After a certain amount of time it becomes legitimate to question whether the public have changed their minds.
Surely Boris would not want the likely horrendous consequences of such rashness to be laid at his door.if the gamble fails. He would go down in history for all the wrong reasons. Only a fool would rely on the capricious Trump for trade deals.
In the end, this is about trust and there are too many liars sounding off to be able to pin our faith in any of them. Not dissimilar to trusting Anderson or Bassini

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

13So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Wed Aug 28 2019, 12:57

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Parliament will be sitting for four days less than was originally planned. 

What a total meltdown by remainers over nothing.

14So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Wed Aug 28 2019, 13:31

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@xmiles wrote:the 2016 referendum was the SECOND vote and brexit does not honour that vote.

Is that the best argument you can come up with, we should honour a referendum held decades ago, before many of us were born and when the world was a different place?

:facepalm:

15So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Wed Aug 28 2019, 13:53

xmiles

xmiles
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
@Natasha Whittam wrote:
@xmiles wrote:the 2016 referendum was the SECOND vote and brexit does not honour that vote.

Is that the best argument you can come up with, we should honour a referendum held decades ago, before many of us were born and when the world was a different place?

:facepalm:

You can apply the same principle to the second referendum. There are plenty of people who were not eligible to vote in 2016 and the circumstances have very definitely changed.

16So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Wed Aug 28 2019, 14:02

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
When would the third ref be? You know just to check people haven't changed their minds again.

17So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Wed Aug 28 2019, 14:14

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
@T.R.O.Y wrote:Not great this, nobody’s voted for no deal so there’s no grounds for forcing it through in this manner.

The sooner we can get this government out the better, only hope this accelerates their demise.
No chance.

18So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Wed Aug 28 2019, 14:30

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
What a monster i love it rock on Boris stick up them.

19So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Thu Aug 29 2019, 08:54

gloswhite

gloswhite
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
Do I note a touch of hysteria in our Remainer members!
Over three years of discussions and they complain about losing 4 days, when the real reason  for prorogation is to put the pressure on the EU.

20So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Thu Aug 29 2019, 09:11

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
How is it only 4 days if Parliament is shut for 5 weeks till October 14th when the normal close down period is usually a couple of weeks?

21So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Thu Aug 29 2019, 10:26

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Hilarious this morning. SNPs EUROPE spokesman on the radio when told he would only lose 4 days said.

"Exactly. The greatest constitutional crisis in our history and we get 4 days"

Errr no, might want to actually know what you're angry about.

22So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Thu Aug 29 2019, 10:53

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I'm loving it. Boris has taken the first step on the road to an election defeat.

23So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Thu Aug 29 2019, 11:25

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
And yet still polling miles ahead of labour.

24So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Thu Aug 29 2019, 11:38

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Labour are a right mess.

25So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Thu Aug 29 2019, 11:45

xmiles

xmiles
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
@boltonbonce wrote:I'm loving it. Boris has taken the first step on the road to an election defeat.

I love the optimism bonce.

26So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Thu Aug 29 2019, 11:48

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Boris won't be worried by an election, he'll almost certainly increase his current slim majority.

27So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Thu Aug 29 2019, 23:20

gloswhite

gloswhite
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
An election is a certain no deal Brexit

28So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Sun Sep 01 2019, 19:12

okocha

okocha
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Not exactly about parliamentary democracy, but still an interesting letter as a comment on our times:

So much for parliamentary democracy Safe_image.php?d=AQBSFm0mKBtjvKWm&w=540&h=282&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thepoke.co.uk%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F08%2Fbu

29So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Sun Sep 01 2019, 19:19

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
@okocha wrote:Not exactly about parliamentary democracy, but still an interesting letter as a comment on our times:

So much for parliamentary democracy Safe_image.php?d=AQBSFm0mKBtjvKWm&w=540&h=282&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thepoke.co.uk%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F08%2Fbu

Well said Henry Stewart

30So much for parliamentary democracy Empty Re: So much for parliamentary democracy on Sun Sep 01 2019, 20:21

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Deary me. What a terrible letter. 

Hitler and Stalin both had a moustache. I think banning moustaches should probably come before suits If this prats theory was to be put into practice.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum