Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Science Fiction

+4
BoltonTillIDie
gloswhite
boltonbonce
wanderlust
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

21Science Fiction  - Page 2 Empty Re: Science Fiction Fri Sep 27 2019, 18:04

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:I loved the original Start Trek series, all those years ago, as corny as the stories were.
I still watch them. Nothing beats The Twilight Zone though.

22Science Fiction  - Page 2 Empty Re: Science Fiction Fri Sep 27 2019, 21:18

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

As you said earlier Twilight Zone, and Outer Limits were something else.

23Science Fiction  - Page 2 Empty Re: Science Fiction Fri Sep 27 2019, 21:30

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I used to like the outer limits

24Science Fiction  - Page 2 Empty Re: Science Fiction Fri Sep 27 2019, 22:11

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I am pleased that there are so many others who enjoy quality SF and it’s nice to know that I am not alone in my appreciation for the classics like Asimov, Clarke, Simak, Herbert, etc. A couple of other classic series are Niven’s Ringworld and Farmer’s Riverworld.

An all time great vintage SF film is Forbidden Planet.

Glos judging by your tastes I think there are a couple of modern writers you might enjoy: Neal Asher who has a series of books set in the Polity universe and Peter Hamilton who has written several trilogies.

25Science Fiction  - Page 2 Empty Re: Science Fiction Fri Sep 27 2019, 22:40

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I love Forbidden Planet. Based on Shakespeare's The Tempest, although that fact passed me by as a kid.

Have you noticed how most of these 50's SF movies contain 3 must haves.

1. Slightly barmy professor, who thinks he can communicate with a two headed, multi armed, monster, intent on killing off the human race.

2. Beautiful, unattached daughter of said professor, up for some hot romance, if the right, square jawed hunk, possibly in uniform, should make an appearance.

3. Square jawed hunk, possibly in uniform, who gets off to a ropey start with beautiful daughter, but wins her over with his wise cracking charm.

26Science Fiction  - Page 2 Empty Re: Science Fiction Sat Sep 28 2019, 11:43

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

xmiles wrote:I am pleased that there are so many others who enjoy quality SF and it’s nice to know that I am not alone in my appreciation for the classics like Asimov, Clarke, Simak, Herbert, etc. A couple of other classic series are Niven’s Ringworld and Farmer’s Riverworld.

Glos judging by your tastes I think there are a couple of modern writers you might enjoy: Neal Asher who has a series of books set in the Polity universe and Peter Hamilton who has written several trilogies.
Agreed, I've read  a lot of Asher, and Hamilton.
Larry Nivens Ringworld was a classic, and you've just reminded me that I never got to read the last of Farmers Riverworld, (it was a trilogy if I remember ?)
My problem is that I have read so many books on my Kindle that I forget to go back to the latest offering when it comes out, and then wonder what the hell is gong on and what have I still to read  Very Happy

27Science Fiction  - Page 2 Empty Re: Science Fiction Sat Sep 28 2019, 13:28

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There are definite themes that run through Sci-Fi and sometimes they reflect life far too convincingly for comfort. I remember watching Gattaca (the organise society on the basis of perceived genetic superiority theme) and then found out about the CRISPR programme which scared me shitless (think of the implications of this, especially the end bit about creating transgenic animals with targeted mutations!)

28Science Fiction  - Page 2 Empty Re: Science Fiction Sat Sep 28 2019, 14:06

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Silent Running. Very relevant to us now.

29Science Fiction  - Page 2 Empty Re: Science Fiction Sat Sep 28 2019, 14:55

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

gloswhite wrote:
xmiles wrote:I am pleased that there are so many others who enjoy quality SF and it’s nice to know that I am not alone in my appreciation for the classics like Asimov, Clarke, Simak, Herbert, etc. A couple of other classic series are Niven’s Ringworld and Farmer’s Riverworld.

Glos judging by your tastes I think there are a couple of modern writers you might enjoy: Neal Asher who has a series of books set in the Polity
universe and Peter Hamilton who has written several
trilogies.

Agreed, I've read  a lot of Asher, and Hamilton.
Larry Nivens Ringworld was a classic, and you've just reminded me that I never got to read the last of Farmers Riverworld, (it was a trilogy if I remember ?)
My problem is that I have read so many books on my Kindle that I forget to go back to the latest offering when it comes out, and then wonder what the hell is gong on and what have I still to read  Very Happy

Yes it is difficult keeping track of what is out there. I find using Amazon recommendations helpful though.

Farmer actually wrote 5 Riverworld books and the final one, Gods of Riverworld, does bring things to a conclusion.

Have you tried Iain M Banks glos? He used the name Iain Banks for his equally good non SF books.

30Science Fiction  - Page 2 Empty Re: Science Fiction Sat Sep 28 2019, 14:58

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Sorry about jumbling up the text glos. I am using my wife’s IPad and am not familiar with it. The IPad that is not my wife!

31Science Fiction  - Page 2 Empty Re: Science Fiction Sat Sep 28 2019, 14:59

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've just fixed it for you.

32Science Fiction  - Page 2 Empty Re: Science Fiction Sun Sep 29 2019, 02:12

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Thanks karly.

33Science Fiction  - Page 2 Empty Re: Science Fiction Sun Sep 29 2019, 05:37

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Haruki Mirakami’s IQ84 is probably the closest I’ve come to reading sci-fi. I loved it but then I love everything I’ve read of his

34Science Fiction  - Page 2 Empty Re: Science Fiction Sun Sep 29 2019, 09:57

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I think I might have to look at the RiverWorld series again, also check out the Iain Banks, although I'm sure that I'm up to speed on most of his.

35Science Fiction  - Page 2 Empty Re: Science Fiction Sun Sep 29 2019, 15:18

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Any contemporary SF writers you would recommend glos?

36Science Fiction  - Page 2 Empty Re: Science Fiction Sun Sep 29 2019, 15:22

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:Thanks karly.
No problem.

Just seen your post now.

37Science Fiction  - Page 2 Empty Re: Science Fiction Sun Sep 29 2019, 16:19

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

xmiles wrote:Any contemporary SF writers you would recommend glos?
Hhmmm. I'm reading an author named Kallias at the moment. He's not bad, but definitely one in the making. The story is spread over 10 books, and its roping in all the Greek and Asgardian gods, spaceships and some Furies. Actually, I was going to bin it after the first couple f paragraphs, but plodded on, and have now nearly completed them all. One of those where its not too good, but you have to see what happens.
I'll have a look at my Kindle and see what I've been reading, and get back to you.

38Science Fiction  - Page 2 Empty Re: Science Fiction Sun Sep 29 2019, 17:24

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:
xmiles wrote:Any contemporary SF writers you would recommend glos?
Hhmmm. I'm reading an author named Kallias at the moment. He's not bad, but definitely one in the making. The story is spread over 10 books, and its roping in all the Greek and Asgardian gods, spaceships and some Furies. Actually, I was going to bin it after the first couple f paragraphs, but plodded on, and have now nearly completed them all. One of those where its not too good, but you have to see what happens.
I'll have a look at my Kindle and see what I've been reading, and get back to you.
Isn't it nice to have a thread with no vicious arguments?

If you like SF of the classic variety, Theodore Sturgeon is well worth the effort.

39Science Fiction  - Page 2 Empty Re: Science Fiction Sun Sep 29 2019, 17:46

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

By the time I've checked and downloaded all these recommendations I'll be bankrupt  Very Happy

40Science Fiction  - Page 2 Empty Re: Science Fiction Mon Sep 30 2019, 00:52

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Two more classic names that I have enjoyed reading, although very different styles: Robert Silverberg and Philip K Dick.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next