Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Next Labour leader

+10
Hipster_Nebula
sunlight
Norpig
Sluffy
MartinBWFC
xmiles
karlypants
Natasha Whittam
boltonbonce
Cajunboy
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 11]

61Next Labour leader - Page 4 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Mon Jan 06 2020, 23:46

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:Labour leadership: Rebecca Long-Bailey enters race

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51012381

Next Labour leader - Page 4 _110339287_mediaitem110339184
Charisma and likeability factor of my dustbin.

62Next Labour leader - Page 4 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Tue Jan 07 2020, 00:03

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sir Keir will win it because:
- He has an exemplary career fighting injustice
- He's a Knight of the Realm and a QC
- He has a reputation for being honest, straightforward and trustworthy
- He's a family man with two photogenic teenage children
- He's successful and a millionaire
- He is heterosexual
- He ain't bad looking and has a reasonably fit missus

...the last being his biggest asset in an election, sad to say.

63Next Labour leader - Page 4 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Tue Jan 07 2020, 06:57

Never been too impressed by RLB to be honest, and too close to Corbynism for what needs to be a clear split from the current leadership.

Starmer is currently the favourite, but so was Burnham when Corbyn got in so a lot can change.

64Next Labour leader - Page 4 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Tue Jan 07 2020, 08:32

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm a myopic lunatic.  Shocked  Why has no one mentioned this before?

65Next Labour leader - Page 4 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Tue Jan 07 2020, 16:02

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

wanderlust wrote:Sir Keir will win it because:
- He is heterosexual

All compelling reasons (as is his impeccable working class background) but unfortunately for him he represents a London constituency and is a man.

I suspect the two candidates the Tories are most worried by are Starmer and Phillips, although I don't think Phillips will win.

I haven't seen your dustbin WL but if it is anything like mine I agree with your assessment of RBL. As TROY has already said the last thing the Labour party needs is another Corbyn.

66Next Labour leader - Page 4 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Tue Jan 07 2020, 16:12

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:I'm a myopic lunatic.  Shocked  Why has no one mentioned this before?

Don't worry, but perhaps it would be wise to have a chat with your GP.

67Next Labour leader - Page 4 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Tue Jan 07 2020, 16:15

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

xmiles wrote:
wanderlust wrote:Sir Keir will win it because:
- He is heterosexual

All compelling reasons (as is his impeccable working class background) but unfortunately for him he represents a London constituency and is a man.

I suspect the two candidates the Tories are most worried by are Starmer and Phillips, although I don't think Phillips will win.

I haven't seen your dustbin WL but if it is anything like mine I agree with your assessment of RBL. As TROY has already said the last thing the Labour party needs is another Corbyn.
With an 80 seat majority, they aren't worried by any of the candidates.

68Next Labour leader - Page 4 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Tue Jan 07 2020, 17:14

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cajunboy wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:I'm a myopic lunatic.  Shocked  Why has no one mentioned this before?

Don't worry, but perhaps it would be wise to have a chat with your GP.
I did, but he kept laughing. Neutral

69Next Labour leader - Page 4 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Tue Jan 07 2020, 18:37

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Don't worry Bonce, this phase will pass, as will the current Labour party  Very Happy

70Next Labour leader - Page 4 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Tue Jan 07 2020, 18:42

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

T.R.O.Y wrote:I hope they keep the main policies - nationalise rail and energy and properly fund public services. That’s what I voted for. Am I not entitled to want that?
Of course you are entitled to want that, in fact as well as the rail and energy enterprises, I would also add buses. i would prefer them to be run on a business basis, but without as much profit generated as there is now, which would not only pay for the service, but also allow a little profit that could be plowed back into developing the business.

71Next Labour leader - Page 4 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Tue Jan 07 2020, 18:48

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I'm not sure what Cummings intends to do with the Civil Service, but would ask this: How can an adviser seemingly do what he likes with the biggest institution in the country? 
I neither like nor trust Cummings, and though he successfully steered Brexit through a minefield I'll be happy to see him go.

72Next Labour leader - Page 4 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Tue Jan 07 2020, 20:31

gloswhite wrote:
T.R.O.Y wrote:I hope they keep the main policies - nationalise rail and energy and properly fund public services. That’s what I voted for. Am I not entitled to want that?
Of course you are entitled to want that, in fact as well as the rail and energy enterprises, I would also add buses. i would prefer them to be run on a business basis, but without as much profit generated as there is now, which would not only pay for the service, but also allow a little profit that could be plowed back into developing the business.

Glad you agree, got to say I am now even more confused you’d vote Tory - a party who are completely opposed to such a policy.

Both yourself and Cajun seem pretty smug about the Tory victory, and if your only criteria of success is to leave the EU no matter the damage to the economy then I can see why.

Whether that will be enough for the millions of other Tory voters who have been sold dreams of a positive Brexit that will transform the average man’s fortunes is a different matter.

Boris has a huge amount to deliver, a lot of which is out of his control now.

73Next Labour leader - Page 4 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Tue Jan 07 2020, 22:59

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:
I neither like nor trust Cummings, and though he successfully steered Brexit through a minefield I'll be happy to see him go.
Do you really think that the strategist behind Brexit and the election victory would plan his own demise?
He'll go if and when he's ready.

74Next Labour leader - Page 4 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Tue Jan 07 2020, 23:16

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I see Corbyn is sitting on the fence again: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51021030

75Next Labour leader - Page 4 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Wed Jan 08 2020, 09:18

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I have no idea who i want as leader to be honest as none of them other than Starmer seem up to the job of leading an opposition to a government with such a bug majority.

As much as i liked Corbyn i suspected he wouldn't win the election but was shocked how badly they did. I think Momentum has too much power within the party and the party as a whole has gone to far to the left for your average voter.
His stance on Brexit and the scattergun election manifesto didn't help either,  free broadband and promising to throw money at everything was seen as desperation and just not believable.

76Next Labour leader - Page 4 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Wed Jan 08 2020, 14:48

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Andrew Harrop in the latest issue of Fabian Review.

'Individual voters didn't engage with all this policy detail. But they got enough of it to smell a rat. Unlike in 2017, this manifesto was an epic failure because Labour's programme was for the movement, not the country.
Once the leadership contest is over, on policy the party must start again'.

78Next Labour leader - Page 4 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Wed Jan 08 2020, 17:11

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Unison backs Sir Keir

More votes than all the other candidates combined!

79Next Labour leader - Page 4 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Wed Jan 08 2020, 23:15

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:Unison backs Sir Keir

More votes than all the other candidates combined!

You do realise that Unison is only actually backing Sir Keir's nomination and they aren't actually voting for him as union block votes no longer exist, don't you, as the way you've posted seems to suggest Starmer's already won the leadership contest.

I'm not a Long Bailey supporter and note Momentum and all the other Corbynistas are giving her their full backing but I remember listening to her maiden speech when she was first elected to Parliament and thought she stated her views very well.

Certainly well worth a listen if you like such things -

80Next Labour leader - Page 4 Empty Re: Next Labour leader Thu Jan 09 2020, 06:56

One day in parliament under this Tory majority shows everything you need to know about them, and why this failure is a catastrophe:

▪Scrapping guarantees of workers’ rights
▪Stopping refugee children reuniting with their families
▪Clamping down on young people’s chances of studying abroad
▪Making sure Parliament has no say in any deal

Next Labour leader - Page 4 ENy-FgEWAAAedxt?format=jpg&name=medium
Next Labour leader - Page 4 ENy-FggWAAANZsu?format=jpg&name=medium
Next Labour leader - Page 4 ENy-FieXsAIzvtu?format=jpg&name=medium
Next Labour leader - Page 4 ENy-FkzWsAcGfKY?format=jpg&name=medium

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum: