Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

World Ping Pong Championships

+2
Norpig
karlypants
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

61World Ping Pong Championships - Page 4 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Wed Feb 19 2020, 14:33

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sunderland used to have Swiss player called Bernt Haas. His nickname was Vindaloo. Very Happy

62World Ping Pong Championships - Page 4 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Wed Feb 19 2020, 14:48

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:Sunderland used to have Swiss player called Bernt Haas. His nickname was Vindaloo. Very Happy
Ah yes and before that Everton's Trebilcock and going further back our own Terry Alcock, better known as a Norwich City hero.

63World Ping Pong Championships - Page 4 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Sat Feb 22 2020, 09:16

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Posted by Chester yesterday, a photo of him and Denis Neale partnering each other round about the time I played in a match against Denis and in practice against Chester. I think I got nine points a game start against Denis in a handicapped cup match. It wasn't enough, not nearly enough.
World Ping Pong Championships - Page 4 ERTGDEUX0AAtCUt?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

64World Ping Pong Championships - Page 4 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Sat Feb 22 2020, 09:22

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm not really up on table tennis, but I know there's been some considerable controversy in years gone by about the bats, or at least what covering they have. Is there a standard that all competitors must comply with?

65World Ping Pong Championships - Page 4 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Sat Feb 22 2020, 09:36

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I'm not really up with it either but I used to have a Chester Barnes style bat with anti-spin rubber on one side and high-spin rubber on the other. The opponent couldn't tell what the ball would do with those who flipped the bat during a point. I didn't. I used the anti-spin for backhand defence and the high spin for forehand attack.

I think these type of arrangements got banned later but ping pong by contrast is played with old-style sandpaper covering on both sides of the bat which tend to sandpaper your fingers after you've played with them a bit.

66World Ping Pong Championships - Page 4 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Sat Feb 22 2020, 09:47

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The last bats my brother and I used were bought from Salters in Farnworth, and that was a very long time ago. Our problem was that we were always running out of balls, mainly due to dad standing on them.
There's nothing sadder than a squashed ping pong ball. Game over.

67World Ping Pong Championships - Page 4 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Sat Feb 22 2020, 11:02

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

More depressing than any number of burst ping pong balls are folk who hang on the words of Marc Iles on football finance and think he makes sense.
Please tell me you aren't one of them, Boncey.

68World Ping Pong Championships - Page 4 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Sat Feb 22 2020, 13:13

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:More depressing than any number of burst ping pong balls are folk who hang on the words of Marc Iles on football finance and think he makes sense.
I take notice of anyone who's an expert in their field. Iles doesn't come into that category with regard to financial affairs. It's an intricate subject.
However, I wouldn't trust an accountant as far as I could throw him. 
Boss. 'How are the books looking?'
Accountant. 'How do you want them to look?'

69World Ping Pong Championships - Page 4 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Sat Feb 22 2020, 13:59

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Some folks, Boncey, have avoided some nasty financial consequences of their oversights or mistakes by listening to sound professional advice. One, having previously fallen for hogwash, recently took the trouble to fully express his gratitude in his first published e-book.

His previous accountant had told him he wasn't paying much tax because he had a 'good accountant'.
It took me about five minutes to see that the 'good accountant' had been getting his accounts wrong for years. It took a bit longer to get it all sorted.

70World Ping Pong Championships - Page 4 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Sat Feb 22 2020, 17:20

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

World Ping Pong Championships - Page 4 A6b959fb388bd0d4e149d63342b9355a

71World Ping Pong Championships - Page 4 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Sat Feb 22 2020, 17:43

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:World Ping Pong Championships - Page 4 A6b959fb388bd0d4e149d63342b9355a
Laughing

72World Ping Pong Championships - Page 4 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Sun Feb 23 2020, 09:47

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:
Ten Bobsworth wrote:More depressing than any number of burst ping pong balls are folk who hang on the words of Marc Iles on football finance and think he makes sense.
I take notice of anyone who's an expert in their field. Iles doesn't come into that category with regard to financial affairs. It's an intricate subject.
However, I wouldn't trust an accountant as far as I could throw him. 
Boss. 'How are the books looking?'
Accountant. 'How do you want them to look?'
That's never happened to me, Boncey, but I am aware that there are environments were accountants are under pressure to please their bosses or find somewhere else to work. Although there have been some well-publicised scandals in big business, the most blatant examples I have personally come across have been in the public sector, with no publicity.

73World Ping Pong Championships - Page 4 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Mon Feb 24 2020, 08:23

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

The dream team will be back in action at the Spagbol Arena this week, Boncey. Grandson 1 was away skiing with the school last week so Grandma had to step up to the Sponeta after cooking our weekly favourite.

She played very well but we got pipped in the deciding game.

74World Ping Pong Championships - Page 4 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Sun Mar 01 2020, 15:39

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Watch the Table Tennis National Championship here - live now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/table-tennis/51491244

75World Ping Pong Championships - Page 4 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Sun Mar 01 2020, 16:05

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Can we please get back to slippers, this thread is excruciatingly dull.

76World Ping Pong Championships - Page 4 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Sun Mar 01 2020, 16:14

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cajunboy wrote:Can we please get back to slippers, this thread is excruciatingly dull.
Do like I do. Combine the two.

77World Ping Pong Championships - Page 4 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Tue Mar 03 2020, 10:27

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:Ping Pong isn't a sport. It's a parlour game.  :bomb:
There are a couple of pages in Richard Brooks book, 'The Great Tax Robbery', entitled Parlour games.
All about how Ray Parlour got away with paying 20% income tax on annual gross earnings of  £1.55m

78World Ping Pong Championships - Page 4 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Tue Mar 03 2020, 10:37

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:Ping Pong isn't a sport. It's a parlour game.  :bomb:
There are a couple of pages in Richard Brooks book, 'The Great Tax Robbery', entitled Parlour games.
All about how Ray Parlour got away with paying 20% income tax on annual gross earnings of  £1.55m
No wonder he can afford a few drinks.

79World Ping Pong Championships - Page 4 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Mon Mar 30 2020, 22:29

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

20% income tax sounds like extortion compared to our Forest Green Friend, Bonsey.

What do you supppose he spends his MILLION QUID A YEAR on after he's put away a couple of hundred a month to pay his tax bill?

80World Ping Pong Championships - Page 4 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Mon Mar 30 2020, 23:13

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:20% income tax sounds like extortion compared to our Forest Green Friend, Bonsey.

What do you supppose he spends his MILLION QUID A YEAR on after he's put away a couple of hundred a month to pay his tax bill?
This is a Limerick written by an accountant.

The gap in audit expectation
Needs no further clarification!
You can show it is there,
But this does not make it clear
Why it needs further investigation?

I rest my case. Neutral

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum