Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » Paraphrasing Laura Whitmore's comments on Caroline Flack being driven to suicide

Paraphrasing Laura Whitmore's comments on Caroline Flack being driven to suicide

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

okocha

okocha
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
"To paparazzi and tabloids looking for a cheap sell, to trolls hiding behind a keyboard - enough! 


We can choose to be mean and hateful, forever looking to find fault, often with tragic consequences..... or  choose to be kind, loving and caring.


The problem is, much of the outside world chooses the former. Anyone who has ever compared one woman against another on Twitter, knocked someone because of their appearance, invaded someone else's privacy, who have made mean, unnecessary comments on an online forum - they need to look at themselves."


Piers, Andrew Pearce  and the tabloids, Laura is talking to you, in particular!.


It will be no surprise if Meghan and Harry are the next ultimate victims of cruel, unsubstantiated, trumped-up opinions and harrassment, made to cover for the inadequacies of the perpetrators.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
A lot of talk in the media about 'being kind'.

Are we all going to be kind on here?

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@boltonbonce wrote:Are we all going to be kind on here?

Only if you stop your crazy slipper fetish. Razz

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@karlypants wrote:
@boltonbonce wrote:Are we all going to be kind on here?

Only if you stop your crazy slipper fetish. Razz
Fetish? I like to think I've brought the world of leisure footwear to a wider audience. 

I'm feeling a bit guilty about bad mouthing Buckley. I'll start being kind from now on. Very Happy

okocha

okocha
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
It's more to do with press and media regulation versus uncurbed free speech.

 Government needs to act on the excesses of the press that lead to heartache, self-harming and suicide.

But will they take on the predominantly Tory papers and Murdoch?

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson
If the press are to be challenged, (again), why can't we curb individuals using the social media sites. Having an opinion is fine, but vindictive and spiteful remarks should also be curtailed. Not an easy task, but we could start with properly managing the big American social media sites. The problem now is that these people, and the media, are now so big and influential that they are almost a law unto themselves.
Regards bad comments on here, although sometimes unnecessary, at least we have the option to respond, so a clamp down on here isn't warranted, unless it gets out of hand and personally abusive.

okocha

okocha
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
It would be interesting to see what Nat thinks. Evidently upset over recent posts.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@gloswhite wrote:If the press are to be challenged, (again), why can't we curb individuals using the social media sites. Having an opinion is fine, but vindictive and spiteful remarks should also be curtailed. Not an easy task, but we could start with properly managing the big American social media sites. The problem now is that these people, and the media, are now so big and influential that they are almost a law unto themselves.
It will be interesting to see what new powers OFCOM are given under the new proposals and moreover how far they are prepared to go to enforce them.

As for this case, I don't really know who Caroline Flack is or what evidence there is to prove that it was media intrusion and media intrusion alone that caused her to top herself - surely she must have had some underlying problem not to take alternative action e.g. selling up and moving to a remote tropical island? I know she was a TV celebrity so she can't have been too skint to have had no other options.

okocha

okocha
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
The 2011 and 2012 Leveson inquiry investigated the conduct of the press after the phone-hacking scandal, but the second part of the inquiry was scrapped by the government, and a new system of self-regulation was set up. However, it's not independent; it's too much influenced by salacious, powerful newspaper editors with tragic results.
Self-interest is the government's main priority here. Politicians do not want the press to turn on them,
I already fear for Meghan and Harry's welfare due to press harrassment and intrusion into their private lives.. If you or I were to camp outside someone's home, taking photos and following their every move, we would be prosecuted as stalkers, so why are the press allowed to get away with it?
Social media is another matter but the press  should be subject to the same laws as the rest of us are.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
A French mayoral candidate was brought down recently after the publication of a sex tape. The general reaction was outrage at an intrusion of privacy.
In my view, if you're going to have a public face that extolls family virtues, falling below those standards in private makes you fair game.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@boltonbonce wrote:A French mayoral candidate was brought down recently after the publication of a sex tape.
Did they vote him down because his election finished prematurely?

I read that the Flack suicide was because she lost the plot after being arrested for a particularly nasty and bloody assault on her boyfriend and couldn't handle being charged with domestic violence offences/name in mud/career in tatters.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@wanderlust wrote:
@boltonbonce wrote:A French mayoral candidate was brought down recently after the publication of a sex tape.
Did they vote him down because his election finished prematurely?

I read that the Flack suicide was because she lost the plot after being arrested for a particularly nasty and bloody assault on her boyfriend and couldn't handle being charged with domestic violence offences/name in mud/career in tatters.
I'm sure more will come out, but it seems to me her problems went much deeper.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
George having his say.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum