Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bidding farewell to Burnden: Wanderers through the years

3 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Wanderers had played their final game at Burnden Park against Charlton Athletic in 1997 but there was still time for one last line-up.
The loyal staff posed for The Bolton Evening News cameras a few days after the players had bid their emotional farewell to the grand old ground.
Can you spot any names you know?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Everything but everything was up for sale when Burnden Park closed its doors for the last time in April 1997.
Turf, floodlights, turnstiles, corner flags and even the boardroom carpet was available at a price as the final curtain came down on the stadium.
Wanderers produced a series of leaflets to let fans know what was going on sale, and also produced a number of commemorative items to sell in the club shop - some of which are pictured here.
Burnden’s turf was available at £5 per half metre and came with a certificate of authenticity. A framed section of the boardroom carpet, complete with the BWFC logo, was offered in two sizes at an approximate cost of £35.95 for a 24” X 20” section and £25.95 for 14” X 10.

On this week in history:

1929: WANDERERS’were leading 3-1 at Fratton Park against struggling Portsmouth with George Gibson scoring two of the goals. But the home side mounted a stirring comeback and the game finished 4-4 with Bolton hanging on by the skin of their teeth for a point.
1966: HAT-TRICKS were all the rage against Preston North End with Wyn Davies helping Bolton to an exciting 4-2 victory against their Lancashire rivals at Burnden Park, Later that season, Francis Lee did the same in a 3-1 win at Deepdale.
1996: ONE of the lowest moments for any Bolton fan of the generation came as Manchester United strolled to a 6-0 victory at Burnden Park. Wanderers were struggling at the foot of the table and John McGinlay summed up the dismay in the dressing room after the game, adding: “We didn’t lay a finger on them all day. We’ll be relegated playing like that.”
2010: BOLTON’S FA Cup replay at Tottenham became their first ever beamed live on the internet, via the FA website. The club received £123,750 for the privilege but were beaten 4-0.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

There were just over 5,000 at Burnden Park in 1992 to see John McGinlay make his first home appearance against Hartlepool United. 22,000 saw his last in 1997.

But no sooner had the club taken up residence at the impressive new Reebok stadium, than  the club shelled out £3.5m on a striker called Holdsworth, doubtless on wages to match, selling Super John for one fifth of that.

SJM probably was past his best before date but his five years at BWFC hadn't just seen him transformed as a player, he had been an inspiration in helping transform the fortunes of BWFC, providing memories that will last forever for those with the good fortune to have followed the club through the McGinlay years.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

This was the first time I ever saw McGinlay play...

It was also the first match I ever sat in the stands (Manchester Road) as my usual spot Manchester Road Terrace had sold out.

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:This was the first time I ever saw McGinlay play...

It was also the first match I ever sat in the stands (Manchester Road) as my usual spot Manchester Road Terrace had sold out.
First time for me too, Sluffy.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum