Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Remembering the Burnden Park Disaster on the 74th Anniversary

2 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Remembering the Burnden Park Disaster on the 74th AnniversaryMarch 9, 1946 is a day in the history of Bolton as a town and as a club that will never be forgotten.

On this day, Bolton Wanderers were playing at home in an FA Cup quarter final second-leg tie against Stoke City.

The ground became the scene of, at the time, the worst tragedy in British football history, when 33 Wanderers fans were crushed to death and many more had life changing injuries.
That day there was an estimated 85,000 crammed in for the game, at least 15,000 over-capacity.

The disaster led to an official report, of which I have an original copy in my office. Moelwyn Hughes' official report recommended more rigorous control of crowd sizes.

A conference on the licensing and regulation of sports grounds was also held where it was recommended that, as a voluntary code, local authorities should inspect grounds with a capacity of 10,000 spectators and agreed safely limits should be in place for grounds of more than 25,000 capacity.

Turnstiles should mechanically record spectator numbers and grounds should have internal telephone systems.

We are one of a handful of clubs that stand together in the history of tragedies of this kind. Each disaster must never be forgotten and the people that lost their lives must hold a special place in our memory.

Our Book of Remembrance is open at the front of the University of Bolton Stadium where the names of those who died are listed.

As always, at our Annual Service of Remembrance and Thanksgiving at the end of the season, we shall pause to remember those that died in this tragedy and light candles in their memory.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I hope they are putting this in the paper in Wigan as half those who died were Wanderers fans from the Wigan area and the relatives may wish to attend the remembrance service.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum