Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wanderers could be spared relegation if Southend chief gets his way

+5
gloswhite
Natasha Whittam
BoltonTillIDie
xmiles
karlypants
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The chairman of Southend United – who sit a place above Wanderers in the League One table – has called for the season to be voided completely.

Ron Martin, whose club has taken fewer points than Bolton in their 35 games so far, believes extending the season could have serious consequences for the following campaign.

Likewise, he reckons any attempt to base promotion and relegation on current league position would bring about further problems.

Restarting the season, claims Martin, would be understandable in the circumstances.

He told the Southend Echo: “If the season was extended for a couple of months it has a knock-on effect for next season and then when does it stop?

“That’s the reason why it makes good sense to draw a line under it now and say it’s the end before starting the new season afresh in August.

“I think there are too many games to go to draw a line under the season and say the table stays as it is now because there would be many dissatisfied and hugely upset clubs.

“Equally, the clubs near the bottom who feels they can survive should be given the opportunity to continue. Things can still change dramatically.

“If it’s null and void then people could look at it and see it’s an unprecedented position so unprecedented steps were taken and the season was cancelled.

“I think people could understand that rationale.”

The EFL will hold a board meeting on Wednesday to discuss their options following UEFA’s decision to push the European Championships on to next summer.

The governing body has indicated that every effort will be made to complete domestic competitions by the end of June.

But with no guarantees on when restrictions on social gatherings will be relaxed, or when the coronavirus outbreak will fade, the pressure in on the EFL to come up with a workable solution.

“It’s an impossible choice and you will not find a solution to suit everyone,” said Martin.

“I know it would suit us for it to be null and void but it would be upsetting for the teams who could be promoted.”

Source

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I don't think it will happen but it would probably be good for us if it did.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

very unlikely...

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ha ha, absolutely no chance of that happening.

Can you imagine the outcry if Bolton avoided relegation.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Especially from us fans, as we've been expecting it all season  Very Happy

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

To be honest it would be the fairest and most reasonable decision to take.

There's going to be a whole flood off legal action taken if teams are awarded promotion or relegation based on an incomplete season and I personally don't think this virus will go away anytime soon until we've all had it or been inoculated against it - so I can't really see a window for all games to be played before the end of June when many players will be out of contract and some even having signed contracts with other clubs in advance of the window opening in July.

The PL seem to be a law unto themselves and may go down the route of having no relegation this season and having Leeds and WBA join them next, irrespective of any outstanding Championship games being left to play - and sod Fulham or whoever potentially would have won the play-offs.

The real worry for the EFL clubs is how financially stable they are as I can't see any games being played for the rest of this season or next.

And I'm not usually a pessimistic sort of bloke!

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

It'll be a massive blow to Liverpool if they don't come out with something this season.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:It'll be a massive blow to Liverpool if they don't come out with something this season.
This season must be completed, however long it takes. If it means cancelling next season then so be it. We can take a sabbatical.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:
gloswhite wrote:It'll be a massive blow to Liverpool if they don't come out with something this season.
This season must be completed, however long it takes. If it means cancelling next season then so be it. We can take a sabbatical.

The problem with that is players contracts are up and leave and new players are signed from July and clubs outside the PL can't afford to have next season cancelled because they still have to pay the players contracts and depend far more than the PL do for income from gate receipts.

If next season is cancelled then there will be nothing to broadcast and therefore no SKY money.

Cancelling next season will almost certainly result in teams going bust.

The easy and most obvious option is to void this season if it can't be completed before the end of June.

Nobody of course will make any decision until the very last minute to allow as much wriggle room as possible to come up with a solution that will please everyone - but I can't see the virus going away anytime soon.

I think however next season will be disrupted anyway until the virus is beaten.

Good job we have slipper talk to keep us going until then!

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

As I posted on a different thread the EFL has the power to deem the season complete and teams promoted/relegated accordingly if 75% or more of all fixtures have already been played. Since all 3 divisions of the EFL have indeed passed that point the only remaining question would be how and when to play the playoff matches. Every team in the EFL has signed the articles and as such are bound by the rules including this one so there is no chance whatsoever of the season being declared void OR any team being able to successfully sue the league should they activate this rule.

The reality is that the EFL does not WANT to use the 75% clause and many teams oppose it being used but the fact is it may well come to that should football not be resumed by around the end of April. One reason for that is of course the absolute chaos that would ensue with many players being contracted until June 30th and the sheer confusion that would result if the various leagues aren't complete including play offs by that date.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:

The problem with that is players contracts are up and leave and new players are signed from July and clubs outside the PL can't afford to have next season cancelled because they still have to pay the players contracts and depend far more than the PL do for income from gate receipts.

If next season is cancelled then there will be nothing to broadcast and therefore no SKY money.

The easy and most obvious option is to void this season if it can't be completed before the end of June.

Nobody of course will make any decision until the very last minute to allow as much wriggle room as possible to come up with a solution that will please everyone - but I can't see the virus going away anytime soon.

I don't believe any club would be allowed to go bust. Surely the amount of money washing about at the top of the pyramid should allow for some of it to be donated to clubs at risk.
Surely the football family, after this horror has passed, could come together as one.
If not, is it really a sport I'd still want to be associated with.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:
Sluffy wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:

I don't believe any club would be allowed to go bust. Surely the amount of money washing about at the top of the pyramid should allow for some of it to be donated to clubs at risk.
Surely the football family, after this horror has passed, could come together as one.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk/t20843-bolton-could-get-slice-of-50m-bail-out-from-efl-in-covid-19-crisis

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:
Sluffy wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:

It simply doesn't work like that mate.

Stop thinking of football clubs and start thinking of them as privately owned business - which they really are.

Some are run prudently and live within their means but others are run deliberately at a loss with the owner/s funding the club from their own pockets in an attempt to buy success - which we did with Eddie's personal money.

The clubs at the top of the leagues in all divisions usually (not always) are run at a loss - a huge part of their annual revenue is spent on signing the best players on top wages, meaning the clubs at the bottom being the ones who have been frugal and have the lesser quality of players they can afford, or teams like us who have to all intent and purposes gone bust and falling down the leagues until we can be saved.

So teams like Liverpool, Man United and City are earning vast fortunes but spending the lions share on player wages, who are the ones who have become fabulously wealthy from the system.

This artificial bubble that props everything up is the sale of TV rights, with companies such as SKY spending their money in order to get advertisers to spend mega money to run their adverts to primetime worldwide audiences of the footy games they are exclusively broadcasting.

The vast bulk of this money is fed to the PL who hardly trickle anything much to clubs in the EFL (hence why the relegated clubs get parachute payments to keep them on life support for a few years in order to come to financial terms outside the PL).

So as long as the PL is ok, who gives a fuck about the lower divisions - answer no one.

The EFL package referred to is basically advanced schedule payments to clubs that they were going to get anyway and an offer of loans - which will have to be paid back.

Why would clubs want to take on more debt when they don't even know if there will be a season next year let alone ending this one?

If you look at things more broadly, that is the same picture for the economy too - why would business want to accept government loans (take on debt) when they can't see (at least for now) when people will want to buy their goods/services again?

Who in the world wants to go traveling right now - why do we need all those planes and pilots then, who wants to stay in hotels when they are basically stuck indoors whilst they are there - why do we need all the support staff then - and so on.

The world economy is crashing, it's inevitable unless this is over quickly that clubs will go to the wall and all those mega rich players won't be putting their hands in their pockets to save us.

Did you notice people we made into millionaires such as Kevin Davies, Zat Knight, Jussi and the rest of them dip into their wealthy pockets to help save us when it was looking the darkest for us last year because I certainly didn't - and this was pre-virus and when the club had a possible future (thanks Sharon for investing in us).

It's not football, it's big business and people still can't see that.

Bob and I tried to explain this during Anderson's tenure but people didn't want to hear it.

Believe me this is much worse than then.

Clubs like ours have to trade to survive, which means we are highly dependant on gate receipts and associated income.

No games equals no income, equals going out of business.

It's as simple as that.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I have a Quixotic outlook, Sluffy. You may be right, but I'm ready to tilt to the bitter end.

Wanderers could be spared relegation if Southend chief gets his way Quixotic

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:I have a Quixotic outlook, Sluffy. You may be right, but I'm ready to tilt to the bitter end.

Wanderers could be spared relegation if Southend chief gets his way Quixotic

Romanticism I'm afraid, even the Don faced up in the end that he couldn't beat real life.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Barry Hearn agrees with me. He's no mug.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:Barry Hearn agrees with me. He's no mug.

The positives for BWFC are that we've got a owner in Sharron who has backed herself with her own money, and the debt we have is more a 'friendly' debt in that Warburton, James and EDT are the major creditors.

Another big positive is that we are committed to having just five players contracted to us for next season, so wages will be small compared to many other clubs - but saying that even if those five amounted to just £2k pw each, that is still half a million to find over the year.

Maybe Sharron can even do a deal to turn the hotel into some sort of NHS or Government use - perhaps an isolation place or accommodation for troops or health staff say?

I think it is more than likely Sharron will weather the storm for a year but many other clubs may not be in a position to do so.

summercummings

Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

The Premier League are desperate to get the season finished because of the amount of money involved.Sky and BT would be entitled to £750 million back if the season isn't finished by 31 July.Whether they would sue for that money is debateable but it is written in the contract between themselves and the PL Clubs.
On top of that other groups entitled to money back if the season isn't finished are club sponsors, shirt sponsors, bookmakers who pay PL clubs to allow gambling on their matches. Man Utd have a deal with Adidas that they are paid an extra £25 million if they finish in the top 4.
The PL would play the matches on a beach on a remote island in the Indian ocean if they could rather than the season be voided.
On the other hand Uefa have said the football season needs to end by 30 June.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum