Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do You Miss The Pub?

+8
gloswhite
wessy
wanderlust
xmiles
sunlight
Sluffy
boltonbonce
Natasha Whittam
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Do You Miss The Pub? Sat Jun 20 2020, 21:06

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A lot is being made about the re-opening of pubs and restaurants on 4th July, reading a couple of other forums it seems people are on the verge of topping themselves if they aren't allowed to buy a pint come July.

I don't get it though, you can freely buy alcohol in supermarkets and hang out in your back garden or the local park with family or close friends - so what is it about sitting inside drinking alcohol that appeals so much?

Do you go to the pub? Are you counting down the hours until that first £4 pint passes your lips?

2Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? Sat Jun 20 2020, 21:22

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

No. Not been since they vetoed my Brucie themed Quiz night.

3Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? Sat Jun 20 2020, 21:26

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Don't turn this into a Brucie thread.

::seething::

4Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? Sat Jun 20 2020, 21:34

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I appear to have stirred a memory. Very Happy

5Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? Sat Jun 20 2020, 21:37

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Wish it was only £4 a pint, it's a bit dearer than that where I live.

No and yes is my answer!

No because I've always been very much a social drinker throughout my life and can take or leave alcohol, I certainly don't drink on my own - but yes because of the social side to the pubs/hotels/theatres/restaurants/bistros/museums-places of interest, etc, etc being open again and being able to meet up with friends and relatives and being able to do things again together.

Can't see myself catching the tube into London to meet up with friends, enjoy a meal and a few drinks, see a show then tube home again in the foreseeable future until a vaccine is found that will protect me from the virus.

I'm happy for my daughter to do it though because the youngsters aren't killed by the virus as a rule but old farts like me are and we have to weigh the risks of whatever we do these days.

Life will get back to normal for most fairly soon if not already for most once the 2m rule is scrapped and everything open again - which will happen within a week or two if not sooner but some of us will be having to watch everything we are doing - so for me pubs are definitely out for the foreseeable future unfortunately no matter how soon they re-open.

6Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? Sat Jun 20 2020, 21:48

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

In London they have no doubt been sat at home simulating being at the pub by binning a tenner everytime they open a can of Stella. I can see what you mean about people missing the Pub. I think its because when people are in the pub it is a bubble of escapism from the real world.
I wont be able to go to the Pub, for two reasons. One is that I dont drink, and two because my Nokia 3310 wont do the app thats needed to order from the Bar.

7Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? Sat Jun 20 2020, 21:55

Not too bothered about inside the pub, but meeting friends and doing a few decent pubs/taprooms in the sun is always a highlight of summer. The quality of pubs and restaurants is one of the major benefits of living in London, it helps justify the sky high mortgage/rents.

8Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? Sat Jun 20 2020, 22:05

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T.R.O.Y. wrote:Not too bothered about inside the pub, but meeting friends and doing a few decent pubs/taprooms in the sun is always a highlight of summer.

You can do that now. Buy a few beers (or Appletinis), grab a few friends (the non-blow up kind), and walk from street to street. You could even pull down a few statues.

9Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? Sat Jun 20 2020, 22:09

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:Wish it was only £4 a pint, it's a bit dearer than that where I live.

No one likes a bragger.

10Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? Sat Jun 20 2020, 22:11

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

sunlight wrote:One is that I dont drink

Why not?

11Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? Sat Jun 20 2020, 22:12

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Sluffy wrote:Wish it was only £4 a pint, it's a bit dearer than that where I live.

No one likes a bragger.

At those prices it's made me more of a pauper.

12Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? Sat Jun 20 2020, 22:14

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Expensive alcohol keeps the riff-raff away. You don't want to pitch up in a pub and find Bonce & KP at the next table.

13Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? Sat Jun 20 2020, 22:19

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

:trust:

14Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? Sat Jun 20 2020, 22:22

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Why not?

I havent had a drink for almost 8 years now. I am not opposed to drinking. I like a good drink now and again. Mainly it is because it was affecting my work, because I am getting too old for it and the hangovers were awful.
When I was younger I used to drink a lot.

15Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? Sat Jun 20 2020, 22:24

Natasha Whittam wrote:

You can do that now. Buy a few beers (or Appletinis), grab a few friends (the non-blow up kind), and walk from street to street. You could even pull down a few statues.

True but that won’t keep my beer/appletini cold.

Could be up to 33 here next week according to the weather, I’ll need to stay close to my fridge.

16Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? Sat Jun 20 2020, 22:25

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Natasha Whittam wrote:Expensive alcohol keeps the riff-raff away. You don't want to pitch up in a pub and find Bonce & KP at the next table.

Is it true that Bonce drinks pints of Ovaltine so that when it's his turn for to get the round in, he's already fast asleep?

17Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? Sat Jun 20 2020, 22:30

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I don't miss pubs but I do miss restaurants (including the restaurants in pubs).

18Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? Sat Jun 20 2020, 22:30

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

Is it true that Bonce drinks pints of Ovaltine so that when it's his turn for to get the round in, he's already fast asleep?
Bullery!

19Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? Sat Jun 20 2020, 23:47

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm worried that my local favourite may never be the same again.

20Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? Thu Jun 25 2020, 11:27

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I imagine some on here have used the Wetherspoons app.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/order-and-pay-app

One of the functions -

Buying rounds? Save time with our reorder function – and avoid forgetting someone’s drink…

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum