Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » Do You Miss The Pub?

Do You Miss The Pub?

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Do You Miss The Pub? on Sat Jun 20 2020, 21:06

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
A lot is being made about the re-opening of pubs and restaurants on 4th July, reading a couple of other forums it seems people are on the verge of topping themselves if they aren't allowed to buy a pint come July.

I don't get it though, you can freely buy alcohol in supermarkets and hang out in your back garden or the local park with family or close friends - so what is it about sitting inside drinking alcohol that appeals so much?

Do you go to the pub? Are you counting down the hours until that first £4 pint passes your lips?

2Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Sat Jun 20 2020, 21:22

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
No. Not been since they vetoed my Brucie themed Quiz night.

3Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Sat Jun 20 2020, 21:26

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Don't turn this into a Brucie thread.

::seething::

4Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Sat Jun 20 2020, 21:34

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I appear to have stirred a memory. Very Happy

5Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Sat Jun 20 2020, 21:37

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
Wish it was only £4 a pint, it's a bit dearer than that where I live.

No and yes is my answer!

No because I've always been very much a social drinker throughout my life and can take or leave alcohol, I certainly don't drink on my own - but yes because of the social side to the pubs/hotels/theatres/restaurants/bistros/museums-places of interest, etc, etc being open again and being able to meet up with friends and relatives and being able to do things again together.

Can't see myself catching the tube into London to meet up with friends, enjoy a meal and a few drinks, see a show then tube home again in the foreseeable future until a vaccine is found that will protect me from the virus.

I'm happy for my daughter to do it though because the youngsters aren't killed by the virus as a rule but old farts like me are and we have to weigh the risks of whatever we do these days.

Life will get back to normal for most fairly soon if not already for most once the 2m rule is scrapped and everything open again - which will happen within a week or two if not sooner but some of us will be having to watch everything we are doing - so for me pubs are definitely out for the foreseeable future unfortunately no matter how soon they re-open.

6Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Sat Jun 20 2020, 21:48

sunlight

sunlight
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
In London they have no doubt been sat at home simulating being at the pub by binning a tenner everytime they open a can of Stella. I can see what you mean about people missing the Pub. I think its because when people are in the pub it is a bubble of escapism from the real world.
I wont be able to go to the Pub, for two reasons. One is that I dont drink, and two because my Nokia 3310 wont do the app thats needed to order from the Bar.

7Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Sat Jun 20 2020, 21:55

T.R.O.Y.

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
Not too bothered about inside the pub, but meeting friends and doing a few decent pubs/taprooms in the sun is always a highlight of summer. The quality of pubs and restaurants is one of the major benefits of living in London, it helps justify the sky high mortgage/rents.

8Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Sat Jun 20 2020, 22:05

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@T.R.O.Y. wrote:Not too bothered about inside the pub, but meeting friends and doing a few decent pubs/taprooms in the sun is always a highlight of summer.

You can do that now. Buy a few beers (or Appletinis), grab a few friends (the non-blow up kind), and walk from street to street. You could even pull down a few statues.

9Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Sat Jun 20 2020, 22:09

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Sluffy wrote:Wish it was only £4 a pint, it's a bit dearer than that where I live.

No one likes a bragger.

10Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Sat Jun 20 2020, 22:11

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@sunlight wrote:One is that I dont drink

Why not?

11Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Sat Jun 20 2020, 22:12

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
@Natasha Whittam wrote:
@Sluffy wrote:Wish it was only £4 a pint, it's a bit dearer than that where I live.

No one likes a bragger.

At those prices it's made me more of a pauper.

12Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Sat Jun 20 2020, 22:14

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Expensive alcohol keeps the riff-raff away. You don't want to pitch up in a pub and find Bonce & KP at the next table.

13Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Sat Jun 20 2020, 22:19

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
:trust:

14Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Sat Jun 20 2020, 22:22

sunlight

sunlight
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
@Natasha Whittam wrote:

Why not?

I havent had a drink for almost 8 years now. I am not opposed to drinking. I like a good drink now and again. Mainly it is because it was affecting my work, because I am getting too old for it and the hangovers were awful.
When I was younger I used to drink a lot.

15Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Sat Jun 20 2020, 22:24

T.R.O.Y.

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
@Natasha Whittam wrote:

You can do that now. Buy a few beers (or Appletinis), grab a few friends (the non-blow up kind), and walk from street to street. You could even pull down a few statues.

True but that won’t keep my beer/appletini cold.

Could be up to 33 here next week according to the weather, I’ll need to stay close to my fridge.

16Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Sat Jun 20 2020, 22:25

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
@Natasha Whittam wrote:Expensive alcohol keeps the riff-raff away. You don't want to pitch up in a pub and find Bonce & KP at the next table.

Is it true that Bonce drinks pints of Ovaltine so that when it's his turn for to get the round in, he's already fast asleep?

17Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Sat Jun 20 2020, 22:30

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
I don't miss pubs but I do miss restaurants (including the restaurants in pubs).

18Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Sat Jun 20 2020, 22:30

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Sluffy wrote:

Is it true that Bonce drinks pints of Ovaltine so that when it's his turn for to get the round in, he's already fast asleep?
Bullery!

19Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Sat Jun 20 2020, 23:47

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I'm worried that my local favourite may never be the same again.

20Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Thu Jun 25 2020, 11:27

sunlight

sunlight
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
I imagine some on here have used the Wetherspoons app.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/order-and-pay-app

One of the functions -

Buying rounds? Save time with our reorder function – and avoid forgetting someone’s drink…

21Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Thu Jun 25 2020, 13:36

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
I think it's an age thing, when i was younger would have been desperate to go for a pint and meet up with the lads, now happy to have a can or three in house over the weekends.

Won't be going anywhere near any time soon, And eating out not a chance, before covid some of the kitchens were lets say dodgy, with covid not going to risk some unknown herbert cooking and serving meals when i had to wait 3 months to see my grandkids. Wetherspoon never going in that place again the guy who own's it would put his own Grandma on the menu if it turned a profit selfish sod.

22Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Thu Jun 25 2020, 18:12

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson
Never been one for drinking at home, always saw it as a social habit. Didn't stop me getting rat-arsed with the family on my birthday though, on Brandy

23Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Thu Jun 25 2020, 18:19

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@gloswhite wrote:Didn't stop me getting rat-arsed with the family on my birthday though, on Brandy

Was she the stripper?

24Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Thu Jun 25 2020, 18:23

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson
What a cracking idea. The only stripper I'm likely to see nowadays is steam operated and takes off wallpaper.  Laughing

25Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Thu Jun 25 2020, 22:55

sunlight

sunlight
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
Indeed, when the Coronavirus Pandemic started, the owner of Wetherspoons sacked all his staff. His comment was that they can all go and get a job in a Supermarket. I also will never go into any of his businesses.

26Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Thu Jun 25 2020, 23:27

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
Just thought I'd post this up - seems obvious to me with the way many are behaving now that they have already given up on lock down!

Coronavirus: Police fear disorder as lockdown eases

A combination of frustration after months of lockdown, warm weather and the availability of alcohol are regarded as having created a perfect storm for unrest.

The head of the Police Federation in England and Wales, John Apter, fears the reopening of pubs and bars in England on 4 July will put his members at risk.

"Easing of lockdown on a Saturday has created almost a countdown to carnival and I am deeply concerned that we're going to see big problems on that day," he told the BBC.

"It's only through fortune my colleagues are not being more seriously injured - or in fact killed. That's how bad it's getting, and something has to be done".

More here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53187031

27Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Sun Jun 28 2020, 01:23

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
I miss going in Bolton on Friday nights, but I'm not sure why because it's just full of horrible people, none more so than the bar staff, door staff, etc. And it's not just Bolton, it's basically everywhere in the UK on a Friday/Saturday night.

People are talking like reopening pubs is gonna be amazing but places like Old Man n Scythe and Hogarths were hostile enough without all the new measures and restrictions that are gonna be in place. It definitely won't be the same and it might not even be practical for some places.

28Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Sun Jun 28 2020, 05:00

sunlight

sunlight
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
@doffcocker wrote:I miss going in Bolton on Friday nights, but I'm not sure why because it's just full of horrible people, none more so than the bar staff, door staff, etc. And it's not just Bolton, it's basically everywhere in the UK on a Friday/Saturday night.

People are talking like reopening pubs is gonna be amazing but places like Old Man n Scythe and Hogarths were hostile enough without all the new measures and restrictions that are gonna be in place. It definitely won't be the same and it might not even be practical for some places.
I agree totally. Pubs are full of horrible people. This is a very hateful town.  People dont care what they do to others. We are going backwards as a society.
There is an underclass now, which is below working class and it is cheaper for them to buy drugs than to drink.
I dont miss drinking at all. You cant beat sober and a clear mind.

29Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Sun Jun 28 2020, 10:28

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Lets be honest after a few pints who's going to stick to one metre plus nevermind two metres?

30Do You Miss The Pub? Empty Re: Do You Miss The Pub? on Sun Jun 28 2020, 11:59

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@doffcocker wrote:I miss going in Bolton on Friday nights, but I'm not sure why because it's just full of horrible people, none more so than the bar staff, door staff, etc. And it's not just Bolton, it's basically everywhere in the UK on a Friday/Saturday night.

It seems that everywhere you go people are hostile towards you.

Do you easily upset folk?

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum