Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Covid TV Interview Background Bookshelves In Peoples Homes

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

These Covid TV interviews, streamed from in peoples homes. I started to cringe a long time ago. People, and they seem to be mostly middle class, have to be filmed in front of a bookshelf. Each passing week sees them sitting even closer to their bookshelf. It seems to be people using television to advertise themselves as well read and actively studying. I think to myself that it is a free advert for themselves on television, bigging themselves up.
Tim Vine got it right with his. Laughing
This is what most of these peoples bookshelves looked like before Covid TV interviews.

Covid TV Interview Background Bookshelves In Peoples Homes 8dt52Md

Last edited by sunlight on Sun Jul 12 2020, 10:14; edited 1 time in total

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

That's Tim Vine, Sunlight!

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

okocha wrote:That's Tim Vine, Sunlight!
Oh thank you. I made a typo its been a difficult week. I shall edit.

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I want to see Boris Johnsons bookshlef. Comics have to lie flat, obviously.

He will be keeping his volumes of Dodge Books on it.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

sunlight wrote:I want to see Boris Johnsons bookshlef. Comics have to lie flat, obviously.

He will be keeping his volumes of Dodge Books on it.
My bookshelves are embarrassing, although more for what's on top of the books, than their messy appearance.
To my right as I type I see Sooty and Sweep, sitting happily next to a human skull. Ahead of me I see my three bears, Baldwin, Edgar, and Mr Beasley.
To my left is a stringed puppet of a little Dutch girl, sat on a Buffalo Bills NFL ball.
There's more, but it's best left alone.

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

boltonbonce wrote:
My bookshelves are embarrassing, although more for what's on top of the books, than their messy appearance.
To my right as I type I see Sooty and Sweep, sitting happily next to a human skull. Ahead of me I see my three bears, Baldwin, Edgar, and Mr Beasley.
To my left is a stringed puppet of a little Dutch girl, sat on a Buffalo Bills NFL ball.
There's more, but it's best left alone.

Your bookshelves are honest. There isnt anything pretentious there.
You should go on BBC News tomorrow morning with your bookshlef, proudly, and accuse the middle classes of being Hypochondriacs. you would have nothing to worry about.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I used to work with a bloke who hadn't read more than about four books in his entire life, but kept shelves and shelves of them at home because 'It impresses visitors'.

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

boltonbonce wrote:I used to work with a bloke who hadn't read more than about four books in his entire life, but kept shelves and shelves of them at home because 'It impresses visitors'.
Thats a bit like playing Tetris on a Kindle while telling people you are reading Kafka on it isnt it.
I suppose E-readers like kindle dont have the effect that a  physical 68 leather bound series of literature books have upon the eye.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Better on the arm muscles too !  Very Happy

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Someone should go on the BBC News tomorrow and tell the middle classes that its time they all got out of bed and returned to work, but display a HDD and a Kindle on the table while you are talking. When you have finished your discussion point at your HDD and Kindle and tell them all that you have over 55 thousand literature books on it and you have read them all and that you laugh openly and loudly at their pathetic ikea bookshelves with a smattering of Swinburne and Rimbaud on them.

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I hope people dont think I am being serious. I am being silly. Silliness is required after a week of seriousness.
I dont drink, I have to escape with pondering.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

"'So you see inspector the only person could have done these murders is the man sitting over there.' So saying, Johnny Oxford pointed his finger at -- Men are you skinny? Do you have sand kicked in your face?"

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Covid TV Interview Background Bookshelves In Peoples Homes 220px-10

Hancock still makes me laugh, it just doesn't seem to date at all.

I've always been a big fan of Alan Bennett and I was really looking forward to the reworking of his Talking Heads  series.  Sadly they seemed very dated, turgid , bleak and rather misogynistic.  He never seems to let any sunlight  into his characters.

I still enjoy his diaries though.

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

This week I read through a Spike Milligan various book. I havent encountered such an easy to read author as Spike. I have read through this book at least a dozen times. His personality is just so entertaining, and intelligent.
One of the parts that made me laugh this morning was in a short story from his time just after in the  war in a Hotel with other musician ex-squaddies. He was going to bed drunk, as per, and he was told by the receptionist as he walked through the Foyer that " Breakfast will be served between 7 and 9 oclock tomorrow morning " . Spike wrote " Thats me turning up at five to nine then ". The next paragraph started " The queue for breakfast at five to nine the next morning ..."  Laughing
He is the funniest person Ive read.

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Covid TV Interview Background Bookshelves In Peoples Homes I3BLmOc

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

sunlight wrote:This week I read through a Spike Milligan various book. I havent encountered such an easy to read author as Spike. I have read through this book at least a dozen times. His personality is just so entertaining, and intelligent.
One of the parts that made me laugh this morning was in a short story from his time just after in the  war in a Hotel with other musician ex-squaddies. He was going to bed drunk, as per, and he was told by the receptionist as he walked through the Foyer that " Breakfast will be served between 7 and 9 oclock tomorrow morning " . Spike wrote " Thats me turning up at five to nine then ". The next paragraph started " The queue for breakfast at five to nine the next morning ..."  Laughing
He is the funniest person Ive read.
Covid TV Interview Background Bookshelves In Peoples Homes Icon_lol  I'm a five to nine person too.

If you haven't read it already, do read SPIKE AN INTIMATE MEMOIR by Norma Farnes, she was Spike's manager for 36 years.  It's a lovely book to read  and  to hear so much about his warm and generous personality.

I'm glad you mentioned Spike, I'm going to read that book again now.

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I don't know what Spike would say, but it's available on ebay for £2.47 with free postage.

Unlike dear old Spike it's in very good condition.

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Cajunboy wrote:
Covid TV Interview Background Bookshelves In Peoples Homes Icon_lol  I'm a five to nine person too.

If you haven't read it already, do read SPIKE AN INTIMATE MEMOIR by Norma Farnes, she was Spike's manager for 36 years.  It's a lovely book to read  and  to hear so much about his warm and generous personality.

I'm glad you mentioned Spike, I'm going to read that book again now.
I will look out for it.  Theres way too much happening at the moment to get anything, but later in the year it will be calmer.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum