Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » Facemasks in shops

Facemasks in shops

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Facemasks in shops Empty Facemasks in shops on Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:37 am

okocha

okocha
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Do you wear one at the moment? Will you do when it becomes mandatory? How will it be policed? Will the government change their minds again before then? Smile

2Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:29 am

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I'll be wearing one. I'm very law abiding.

3Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:31 am

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
My face shouldn't be covered by a mask as it brings such joy to people.

4Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:35 am

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Natasha Whittam wrote:My face shouldn't be covered by a mask as it brings such joy to people.

Is that when it's round a customers bellend? Very Happy

5Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:36 am

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I've always worn a mask and will continue to do so.

The only reason the government have made it compulsory to wear one now is that people can now buy them.

They obviously didn't want to cause panic before due to the shortage of PPE in the UK.

6Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:50 am

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@karlypants wrote:I've always worn a mask and will continue to do so.


I'm sure Mrs KP is very grateful.

7Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:53 am

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@karlypants wrote:

Is that when it's round a customers bellend? Very Happy

Very Happy

8Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:06 am

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I wear one on the bus but plenty don't which annoys me but haven't been wearing them in shops as yet.

It all seems too little too late to me.

9Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:17 am

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
This morning TV was full of people demanding to know why the public weren't forced to wear facemasks much earlier, I wanted to punch each and every one of them.

I tried to buy some facemasks in April and I couldn't find any available in the UK at a reasonable price. I had to buy from China and it took 3 weeks to arrive.

If the government had said it was mandatory to wear a mask in public in April there would have been utter panic, the vast majority of folk wouldn't have been able to leave their house even for basic essentials.



10Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:50 am

okocha

okocha
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Seemed to me the decision was eventually made in order to make people more confident about going out and buying stuff on the high street, but ironically it may make folk more inclined to shop online which will be the death knell for the high street shops and maybe even some supermarkets.

The work-from-home message changed to "go to the office etc if you can", because the government thought that town centre shops would be boosted by lunchtime trade from office workers. (All this while using public transport where possible.....great for NHS staff!!)

Will shop staff put profit first.... or stop non-masked people going into their stores to buy their goods, take names and addresses and report them to the police?

If teachers wear face masks, will communication with children become difficult, especially with the older ones who may also have to wear face-coverings? What about those who rely on lip-reading?

A final thought:-it was not long ago that Boris said that face-coverings suggested bank robbers...

11Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:36 am

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Natasha Whittam wrote:This morning TV was full of people demanding to know why the public weren't forced to wear facemasks much earlier, I wanted to punch each and every one of them.

I tried to buy some facemasks in April and I couldn't find any available in the UK at a reasonable price. I had to buy from China and it took 3 weeks to arrive.

If the government had said it was mandatory to wear a mask in public in April there would have been utter panic, the vast majority of folk wouldn't have been able to leave their house even for basic essentials.


I'm sure I said that earlier. Smile

12Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:41 am

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
You said something about bellends. Your favourite subject.

13Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:46 am

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Natasha Whittam wrote:You said something about bellends. Your favourite subject.

Very Happy

14Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:58 am

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
I agree with okocha that this is all about getting people more confident about going out and buying stuff on the high street.

The medical logic is all over the place though. You don't need a mask in a pub or restaurant or school but you now have to wear one in a giant supermarket although the staff don't. In my local supermarket most of the staff are filling trolleys for online shoppers, hardly any of them are behind tills so the queues at checkout are worse than the queues to get in.

Not happy about the compulsory nature of this but I will comply. It is particularly irritating if you wear glasses.

15Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:03 am

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@xmiles wrote:I agree with okocha that this is all about getting people more confident about going out and buying stuff on the high street.

The medical logic is all over the place though. You don't need a mask in a pub or restaurant or school but you now have to wear one in a giant supermarket although the staff don't. In my local supermarket most of the staff are filling trolleys for online shoppers, hardly any of them are behind tills so the queues at checkout are worse than the queues to get in.

Not happy about the compulsory nature of this but I will comply. It is particularly irritating if you wear glasses.
Yes, they get steamed up and I can't see a thing.

16Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:34 am

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson
I always wear one when I go into a shop, or when there are a few people about. Unlike many, I didn't need to be told that it's safer to wear a mask than not. How much safer is irrelevant, when your dead you're 100% dead. Add to that the news that there now appears to be long term problems appearing if you've had it. Never mind the politics, use your head and look after yourself, and others where you can.

17Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:39 am

sunlight

sunlight
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
@gloswhite wrote: look after yourself, and others where you can.

Great advice.

18Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:03 pm

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Natasha Whittam wrote:
If the government had said it was mandatory to wear a mask in public in April there would have been utter panic, the vast majority of folk wouldn't have been able to leave their house even for basic essentials.
...in which case tens of thousands of dead Brits would still be alive.

I guess that means they died for us defending our freedom to act like a twat?

19Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:29 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
@wanderlust wrote:
@Natasha Whittam wrote:
If the government had said it was mandatory to wear a mask in public in April there would have been utter panic, the vast majority of folk wouldn't have been able to leave their house even for basic essentials.
...in which case tens of thousands of dead Brits would still be alive.

I guess that means they died for us defending our freedom to act like a twat?

Anyone really believe people will wear masks anywhere?

My daughter went to London on the train, travelled around on the tube and returned by train on Saturday - she was the only one in the carriages she was in who actually wore a mask.

She did say the trains were not crowded but the majority she saw simply completely flouted the rule (well law now as I believe you can be fined for not doing so) and no one bothered to even try to enforce it.

Most responsible people will wear a mask, but I guess there will be plenty who just won't give a feck - and who will stop them shopping - I doubt the shop staff will want to argue with them.

I notice Tesco's have scrapped the one-way system in their stores - from what I used to see, I was the only one who used to follow the arrows - everyone else couldn't be arsed. In the end I gave up too - I'm what was the point anymore, I was actually (needlessly) walking passed more by people going up and down the aisles following the arrows, then just going to what I wanted and get out of there the fast I can.

You can't enforce one-systems, 2m social distancing, lockdowns, wearing masks, etc, etc, if there is no enforcement and people just can't be arsed complying with them.

Everybody I seem to see must think the rules don't apply to them because precious few seem to be bothering to follow them.

It doesn't help when those who should be leading by example believe the rules don't apply to them and break them with absolute disdain and impunity such as Cummings did.

I guess we are going for the herd option anyway but by default rather than intent!

Keep safe everyone.

20Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:14 pm

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Fact is it would take an enormous upswing in deaths to stop Brits from huggin' and akissin' and generally invading each other's personal space especially after we've been starved of our regular diet of hugs, kisses and personal contact for a few months. The need for physical reassurance (grooming in monkeys) is ingrained in the British psyche which is why we have more deaths per capita than Brazil, the USA, Spain, Italy, Sweden, France - in fact more than every country in the world apart from Belgium which has a population that's a sixth of ours and is practically surrounded by foreign countries.

We're a small island FFS!!! HTF can the government fail to control it in what is effectively a lab?

21Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:42 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
@wanderlust wrote:Fact is it would take an enormous upswing in deaths to stop Brits from huggin' and akissin' and generally invading each other's personal space especially after we've been starved of our regular diet of hugs, kisses and personal contact for a few months. The need for physical reassurance (grooming in monkeys) is ingrained in the British psyche which is why we have more deaths per capita than Brazil, the USA, Spain, Italy, Sweden, France - in fact more than every country in the world apart from Belgium which has a population that's a sixth of ours and is practically surrounded by foreign countries.

We're a small island FFS!!! HTF can the government fail to control it in what is effectively a lab?

Any government can only be effective through the acceptance and actions of the people it governs and it seems pretty clear, especially in regards to the millennial generation that many of them don't 'do' lockdowns, social distancing, masks, etc and much prefer to attend illegal gatherings/raves, go to the beach/beauty spots until they are crammed full to bursting and are out and about with their mates having fun, rather than following the rules.

That's how it is these days.

I know you hate the government and blame it for everything but people would have behaved very much the same under any government these days.

Do you think those people would have followed the rules if Starmer or even Corbyn had been in charge of a Labour Government right now?

Of course they wouldn't.

And with all the heightened sensitivity with BLM recently could you just imagine the rage on the streets would have been if the police/army/anyone even attempted to enforce 'the new normal' way we should all be behaving?

And fwiw I certainly haven't been brought up a 'hugger' or have a need for any social 'monkey grooming', I've never understood why people do it tbh, most of it is clearly fake and insincere and is basically a social greeting habit which used to simply be a handshake - or even just a nod of the head.

22Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:55 am

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
@xmiles wrote:I agree with okocha that this is all about getting people more confident about going out and buying stuff on the high street.

The medical logic is all over the place though. You don't need a mask in a pub or restaurant or school but you now have to wear one in a giant supermarket although the staff don't. In my local supermarket most of the staff are filling trolleys for online shoppers, hardly any of them are behind tills so the queues at checkout are worse than the queues to get in.

Not happy about the compulsory nature of this but I will comply. It is particularly irritating if you wear glasses.

And you don't have wear a mask in an office. Even though you are in close proximity to others in a confined space for long periods of time. Can't see the logic or the science here.

23Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:12 am

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson
@xmiles wrote:

And you don't have wear a mask in an office. Even though you are in close proximity to others in a confined space for long periods of time. Can't see the logic or the science here.
I'm assuming that its because offices have to be made Covid compliant.

24Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:19 am

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
@gloswhite wrote:
I'm assuming that its because offices have to be made Covid compliant.

But how do you do that if someone who has Covid can sit there breathing out the virus all day?

25Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:26 am

okocha

okocha
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
More Hancock gobbledygook and apparent illogicality. Plus: will ministers set an example or blatantly flout the laws as before?


"There is a difference between visiting a shop for a few minutes and working alongside colleagues at a desk for several hours," he said.
"When you're in close proximity with somebody that you have to work closely to, if you're there for a long time with them, then a mask doesn't offer that protection."
Facemasks in shops _113397476_truss_gove_eyevine_one_use Cabinet ministers Liz Truss and Michael Gove appeared to take different approaches to face coverings on Tuesday

26Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:52 am

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson
My wife's place of work, (and my old one), has desks that cater for at least 3 people.s Each one is separated by a screen, and the distancing rules are scrupulously observed. However, the offices are open-plan and the air conditioning passes the air all around the building. Even though the air is scrubbed before recirculating, nothing is 100% effective. I remember always getting colds whilst at work, and we all blamed the AC and the proximity of others. Nothing will hae changed poste Covid.
I am due to go back to my part-time job in the same building on 3rd August, but I will be away from the crowds mostly. I for one will be wearing a mask as often as I need, but I do think that to abandon them for convenience in the office isn't too smart, and wearing them should be encouraged depending on the area and the numbers involved.

27Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:37 am

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
@okocha wrote:More Hancock gobbledygook and apparent illogicality. Plus: will ministers set an example or blatantly flout the laws as before?


"There is a difference between visiting a shop for a few minutes and working alongside colleagues at a desk for several hours," he said.
"When you're in close proximity with somebody that you have to work closely to, if you're there for a long time with them, then a mask doesn't offer that protection."

It actually does make some sense when you think about it.

Masks if they are not air tight basically gives limited protection to the wearer and those around them.

I've read that a rule of thumb is that it gives about a 80% chance of passing the infection and if you have the virus and wear a mask and 20% protection from others who have the virus.

Basically it is a physical barrier to block the larger 'germs' from when you (or someone else) coughs and sneeze.

However that isn't the only way you can catch airborne virus as there are the very fine spray from peoples breath that hang in the air for a much longer timeframe.

So if you are sat in an office with someone affected with the virus for six, seven, eight hours, then wearing a mask really won't stop you catching it sooner or later.

The way I reason it is how often I can smell scent/perfume, cigarette smoke, etc, that hangs in the air, even when the people wearing it/smoking them have long since passed by.

Of course wearing a mask must be better protection than nothing and I doubt an employer would stop people using them in the office but I would imagine if you have to share an indoor place with someone with the virus for several hours the chances are a mask isn't necessarily going to save you from catching to any great degree.

28Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:00 am

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

29Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:32 am

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Useful stuff but as a glasses wearer I would say the washing them in soapy water tip doesn't work. Best advice is to use surgical tape if you have it.

30Facemasks in shops Empty Re: Facemasks in shops on Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:29 am

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Glad I read that, I was going to wear it round my chin otherwise.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum