Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ian Evatt wants teams to 'fear' coming to play Bolton Wanderers

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ian Evatt wants Wanderers to start putting fear into teams coming to the University of Bolton Stadium.

After a bland draw against Grimsby Town last weekend, the Whites have been urged to get back on the front foot when they host Oldham Athletic this Saturday.

Evatt is looking to add at least one player to freshen up his squad before Friday’s 5pm deadline but believes he has enough attacking quality in his squad to be making life more difficult for opposing sides.

Wanderers have struggled to raise their game at home and have registered just one victory in 2020 at the UniBol in 11 attempts.

Evatt feels the onus is on his players to find more motivation without the backing of fans inside the stadium.

“It is difficult,” he said. “But we have to find a way of making it more of a fortress.

“We have to make sure that when we get into those dangerous areas that we are putting more pressure on the goalkeeper, that they feel the pressure and our intensity on the ball.

“Teams are coming here, looking at what a wonderful stadium it is, how lovely it is to play here, but we’re not giving them anything to fear. We have to be better.”

Wanderers have failed to score in each of their last three home games but on Saturday will come up against an Oldham side which has conceded a divisional-high 13 goals already this season.

Midfielder Tom White, who will be watching from the side-lines with an ankle injury, says the lack of atmosphere inside the stadium is an issue, but one the players cannot hide behind.

‘It’s difficult to play in our stadium with no fans supporting us, but we still have the best job in the world,” he said. “You can’t get away from that; you can’t whinge and feel sorry for yourself because I’ve wanted to do this since I was a baby. I’m not going to sit and cry about no fans being at the games.

‘I’d love fans to be watching us and supporting us inside the stadium because they’re a passionate group of fans. The feeling is great when the fans celebrate a tackle, celebrate a good pass, a goal or a clearance but it’s still the best job in the world so we need to get our heads down and work hard.

‘There’s maybe periods in games where there’s a bit of a lull and that’s where crowds would get behind us 100 per cent and cheer us on. That does give you that bit more intensity to go and do that extra yard but we need to find a way of almost blocking that out and getting results in any way we can. This is an intimidating place to come for away teams and that advantage is obviously taken away from us because you can’t be intimidated by nobody being here.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum