Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Bolton Wanderers Banter » Orient 4-0 Bolton

Orient 4-0 Bolton

+10
boltonbonce
wessy
Norpig
Sluffy
wanderlust
MartinBWFC
Natasha Whittam
bryan458
karlypants
BoltonTillIDie
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21Orient 4-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Orient 4-0 Bolton Sun Nov 01 2020, 11:38

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

First of all if we stick with this keeper we can't progress, i have watched every game (Excluding Bradford) Consistantly he flaps at high balls, beaten easily from distance and three times beaten (twice yesterday) because he can't organise a wall or position himself properly.

We have conceded 3 at Barrow after comic cut start 2 down in 4 minutes, and yesterday concede 4 after yet another comic start. These two teams are not going to figure any where near top six, so for me i would be happy to see a resetting on Tuesday, with a change of keeper and any system that says protect the keeper even if it compromises going forward, if you concede Nil you don't lose. if you pinch a goal you win, and that's a start.

The other end is a problem with injuries and no cover up top but one calamity at a time.

22Orient 4-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Orient 4-0 Bolton Sun Nov 01 2020, 12:33

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Sluffy, you mention 442 as being a solution because Sarc and Doyle both excel in it, is that what Plymouth and Swindon played last year?

Personally wouldn't trust our centre backs in a 2, and I think a 2 of Tutte/Crawford or Sarc would get overrun in midfield. 

I'd stick with the system, there have been positive signs in recent weeks. However, I would like to see Baptiste out next game with Brockbank dropped into the back 3 and Mascoll at LWB.

I would not know as I didn't follow them or League 2 but they certainly weren't playing slow patient possession football trying to walk the ball in the net that's for certain.

I suspect at this tier of football most teams keep it simple and build around what strengths they had so I wouldn't think either teams were root one and we've brought in Doyle 'winger' so obviously his team were not playing with wing backs (which suggests a back four to me). Sarcevic seemed to be the heartbeat of his team so I guess he was given a freer role to play and if so would suggest a style of more through the middle type play than attacking down both wings which again suggests to me a traditional back four behind him.

That's what I'd do with players who are obviously the best in their roles at this level as proved by their performances last season.

If we've paid top money to sign the best then why not play to THEIR strengths rather than play them in a system that (up to now at least) isn't suiting them?

What do I know though, just my opinion.

Just seems common sense to me.

23Orient 4-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Orient 4-0 Bolton Sun Nov 01 2020, 13:04

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Baptiste can be replaced easily enough as we have plenty of CB's but GK is a massive problem. Evatt put all his eggs in one basket with Crellin as back up is an 18 year old and a 38 year old who is also the GK coach.
Personally i'd take Crellin out of the firing line and play Gilks. If we leave him in it's going to ruin his confidence if things keep going the way they are and a short spell out would do him good i think.

24Orient 4-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Orient 4-0 Bolton Sun Nov 01 2020, 17:24

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Baptiste can be replaced easily enough as we have plenty of CB's but GK is a massive problem. Evatt put all his eggs in one basket with Crellin as back up is an 18 year old and a 38 year old who is also the GK coach.
Personally i'd take Crellin out of the firing line and play Gilks. If we leave him in it's going to ruin his confidence if things keep going the way they are and a short spell out would do him good i think.
A short spell really ? period

25Orient 4-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Orient 4-0 Bolton Sun Nov 01 2020, 17:40

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
A short spell really ? period
Couldn't really blame him for the pen, but he has to look at himself for the free kicks. All these decision making problems can be ironed out with experience, but the fact is, in our position, we can't afford a keeper who's learning on the job.

26Orient 4-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Orient 4-0 Bolton Sun Nov 01 2020, 18:05

T.R.O.Y.

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

I would not know as I didn't follow them or League 2 but they certainly weren't playing slow patient possession football trying to walk the ball in the net that's for certain.

I suspect at this tier of football most teams keep it simple and build around what strengths they had so I wouldn't think either teams were rout one and we've brought in Doyle 'winger' so obviously his team were not playing with wing backs (which suggests a back four to me).  Sarcevic seemed to be the heartbeat of his team so I guess he was given a freer role to play and if so would suggest a style of more through the middle type play than attacking down both wings which again suggests to me a traditional back four behind him.

That's what I'd do with players who are obviously the best in their roles at this level as proved by their performances last season.

If we've paid top money to sign the best then why not play to THEIR strengths rather than play them in a system that (up to now at least) isn't suiting them?

What do I know though, just my opinion.

Just seems common sense to me.

Fair enough. Personally I like the system for the reasons mentioned in my earlier post, suspect Evatt will stick with it.

27Orient 4-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Orient 4-0 Bolton Sun Nov 01 2020, 19:10

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

As per above posts. A team has to have a good goalkeeper. He is the most important man in the team. Without a good goalie you will not do well. The defence will have no confience.
Bolton teams that have done well have all had good goalies. My fave was Jim Mcdonagh, a very brave and competent goalkeeper that helped get us promoted to the top division.
Sort the Goaly or forget it.

28Orient 4-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Orient 4-0 Bolton Sun Nov 01 2020, 23:20

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Marc Iles "Big Match Verdict" was thought-provoking this week. He hypothesised about "why we are where we are" in some detail, but sadly that is little consolation.

29Orient 4-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Orient 4-0 Bolton Mon Nov 02 2020, 11:43

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I was traveling so didn't see or hear it.  Sounds like the same as usual though.....laughable goal keeper situation with brockbank out of position and Baps as per normal.
Looks like Ian is going to be pig headed about this so the only solution is as with all recent Bolton Managers......Ian Out ! Smile

30Orient 4-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Orient 4-0 Bolton Mon Nov 02 2020, 13:46

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I was traveling so didn't see or hear it.  Sounds like the same as usual though.....laughable goal keeper situation with brockbank out of position and Baps as per normal.
Looks like Ian is going to be pig headed about this so the only solution is as with all recent Bolton Managers......Ian Out ! Smile
Evatt has no choice but to stick it out with these players and try to make it work - for now. I can't see any way we'll be promoted and relegation also seems unlikely so likeliest outcome is a slow burner if he's given the time - as he was at Barrow.
My understanding is that the contracts handed out ensure he won't have difficulty getting rid so maybe after a couple of transfer windows it'll come good?
Our problem is expectation management after the big hoo-hah pre-season when we were unexpectedly made favourites to go up - despite having a fair chunk of signings with little experience at this level. Moneyball is great on an individual basis but it doesn't take account of how they fit into a team so squad adjustments will have to be made if we are to progress.

31Orient 4-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Orient 4-0 Bolton Mon Nov 02 2020, 17:14

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

It looks more like MoneyBollocks to me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum