Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Wanderers fan's view: Things starting to come together

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Fresh from having my first Covid-19 vaccination this week, I am hoping that life has taken a step forward towards a return to normal and in particular being able to watch the Wanderers live.

We fans are desperate to be there and support the lads in their final push for the play-offs this season. But it was back to the quarantine of iFollow to watch us take on the ‘Borough’ from Stevenage, one of only two League Two games to survive the big freeze.

At least we could keep warm, unlike the media contingent shivering in the Baltic conditions at the stadium.

While it was good that Marcus Maddison’s red card from the Morecambe match was rescinded, it is a pity that the EFL could not do anything about the two points that it cost us.

Though I applaud Ian Evatt’s stance that we should not stoop to the dark arts, I do think that we have to accept it and respond accordingly.

Gary Neville once wrote that at half time in his first European match, he complained to Alex Ferguson that the winger he was up against was diving to win free kicks all the time. Typically, Ferguson roasted Neville telling him not to let them dive and if they did, make sure it was in their half.

Evatt was able to make four changes with Gethin Jones coming in for the injured Harry Brockbank and first starts for Declan John, Marcus Maddison and Oladapo Afolayan.

The Wanderers started brightly and went ahead after seven minutes with a cracking shot from Declan John.

Generally, we were in control of the match until the referee, Mr Kettle, spouted another dubious red card to add to his growing collection against Bolton.

Unlike the Morecambe match, we held firm defensively and saw the match out.

I am reluctant to criticise referees as they only get one look at an incident but are we upsetting the officials now that we do not print their names in the programmes?

This win should add to our rising confidence. There is plenty to build on with this squad. The defensive pairing of Ricardo Santos and Alex Baptiste is beginning to look solid. MJ Williams and George Thomason are gelling in midfield.

We have got substitutes that can make a difference. If we can just get Eoin Doyle out of isolation, the only way is up.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum