Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Bolton Wanderers Banter » Southend 0-1 Bolton

Southend 0-1 Bolton

+9
karlypants
luckyPeterpiper
wessy
BoltonTillIDie
Cajunboy
T.R.O.Y.
wanderlust
Natasha Whittam
Norpig
13 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Southend 0-1 Bolton Fri Feb 19 2021, 11:41

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
A long journey but i think it will be worth it, i reckon we'll beat them 2-0 and continue to climb the table

2Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Fri Feb 19 2021, 12:06

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
When have Bolton ever found it easy to knock over the teams at the bottom?

1-1.

3Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Fri Feb 19 2021, 13:13

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Must win. Again.

4Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Fri Feb 19 2021, 13:42

T.R.O.Y.

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
They’ve just had two decent results against teams above us in the league so this is tricker than it might look at first glance. But we should be dicking this lot let’s be honest. Arthur surely in from the start (for Isgrove) and away we go.

5Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Fri Feb 19 2021, 15:34

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
This has banana skin written all over it.

6Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Fri Feb 19 2021, 17:24

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
has 3 points written all over it Smile

7Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Fri Feb 19 2021, 17:55

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
Southend 0 BWFC 2   Lee

8Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Fri Feb 19 2021, 20:39

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
I'm not feeling all that confident tbh. I think we'll get a drab 0-0 draw.

9Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Sat Feb 20 2021, 00:39

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

10Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Sat Feb 20 2021, 11:56

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Preview: Southend United vs Bolton Wanderers

Bolton Wanderers head to Essex on Saturday afternoon to face Southend United at Roots Hall in buoyant mood after winning their previous two Sky Bet League Two fixtures.

Pre-Match Quotes:

Ian Evatt: “Southend have certainly got threats and have got some good results so we’re not going to rest on our laurels and take it for granted.

“We’re going to go there full tilt and try and win the game and respect the opposition. I thought they were a much better team than what people give credit for.

"I thought even the 3-0 game at the University of Bolton Stadium, they had a chance at 0-0 that Matt (Gilks) saved and the game could have been completely different had it gone in.

“We have to respect them, which we certainly will, and go there and give the best we can and try and get three points.”

Mark Moseley: "The last couple of games we’ve shown the right credentials, but we’re also haunted by the previous results before that.

"Football serves a quick reminder if you ever get too far ahead of yourself.

"We have a mammoth game in front of us. Bolton Wanderers; what a big Football Club that is.

"Another manager [Ian Evatt] who has done very well and plays a very distinct style of football. It’s another tough challenge.”

How to Watch:

Wanderers supporters can watch the clash with Southend United by purchasing an iFollow BWFC video match pass for just £10 so you don’t have to miss a kick.

An iFollow BWFC video match pass will ensure supporters do not miss a minute of the action, with the entire match streamed through any compatible laptop, computer, tablet, or mobile device in the United Kingdom.

Team News:

Captain Antoni Sarcevic will be available for selection after returning to full fitness following a spell on the sidelines.

The midfielder suffered a groin injury during the game against Tranmere Rovers in January and has been recuperating ever since.

There are no fresh injury concerns from the midweek win at Mansfield, so manager Ian Evatt will have a selection headache on his hands.

Striker Nile Ranger could be involved for Southend after joining the club on a month-to-month contract.

He’s been training with the Blues for several weeks in a bid to earn a contract.

Former Wanderer Jacob Mellis may also feature after recently penning a deal for the club.

Bookies Odds:

Southend United win: 14/5

Draw: 23/10

Bolton Wanderers win: 19/20

Correct as of 19/02/2021 (10am) on skybet.com

Form:

Wanderers have lost just once in their last six league encounters and come into the weekend’s game on the back of two successive victories against Stevenage at home and an away win at Mansfield on Wednesday evening.

Southend are unbeaten in their last two which halted a four-game losing streak.

Last time out:

The two teams last met at the beginning of December at the University of Bolton Stadium where Ian Evatt’s men ran out 3-0 winners.

Goals from Nathan Delfouneso and a double from Eoin Doyle sealed an emphatic win for Wanderers.

Match Officials:

Referee: Declan Bourne.

Assistant Referees: Paul Lister and Paul Kelly.

Fourth Official: Anthony Da Costa.

11Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Sat Feb 20 2021, 14:05

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

12Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Sat Feb 20 2021, 14:07

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Surprised that Arthur is not playing and Maddison retains his place.

Evans out.

13Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Sat Feb 20 2021, 14:08

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
King Arthur deserves a start no doubt

14Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Sat Feb 20 2021, 14:17

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Maddison needs to show his worth today. He's been far too casual in his play so far, trying fancy touches and spraying the ball around without any success as if he feels it should all just happen for him. A bit more concentration and effort and maybe then I'll start believing in him.

Happy with Arthur on the bench though - he's been a bit of a supersub when the pressure's on and maybe that's when he's at his best.

15Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Sat Feb 20 2021, 15:01

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Radio Nuts is now live!

16Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Sat Feb 20 2021, 17:09

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
Come back, Bonce. We should all be enjoying this together!

17Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Sat Feb 20 2021, 17:11

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Up to 10th now and 4 points away from a playoff spot.  No danger of relegation now Smile

18Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Sat Feb 20 2021, 17:33

Whitesince63

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
That second half was just excruciatingly bad but if we can be that poor and still come out with 3 points, bring it on I say. We still miss a player in the middle of the park to boss the game though, put his foot on the ball and direct play. None of our midfield are like that, other than possibly Young George. I just hope he doesn’t get sacrificed for Sarcevic now he’s fit again, he produces twice as much and his range of passing is immense. I’d have put him on instead of Sarcevic today as he did on Wednesday because we were crying out for someone to control the play but in the end we got the result. Two winnable home games coming up now which should see us into the play off places unless we cock it up again like last time we got on a run!!

19Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Sat Feb 20 2021, 17:52

T.R.O.Y.

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Great win, crap performance. If we actually start playing well we’ll blow teams away in this league, I’d play Sarc instead of Delf next game and Arthur in for Maddison.

Agree on Thomason but it’s either him or Lee at the moment so can see why Lee is keeping his place for the moment. Can’t remember having such strength in depth for years.

20Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Sat Feb 20 2021, 18:11

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
Another fluke another three points.

How many times today did we pass the ball straight out of play.......anyway take the three and run.

If we can just improve a small percentage then we should be able to beat all comers ---- easier said than done of course -----onwards.

21Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Sat Feb 20 2021, 18:19

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
If we can be so poor and win then promotion is on, missed a couple of chances first half but so poor second.

Maddison needs minutes on the pitch if he is to return to the form he showed, and IE knows this he will stay in however he may rest him on Tuesday just to protct him from injury,the frustrating thing with MM is he should do the simple things well whilst regaining fitness rather than doing the fancy stuff, always reckon it takes 5 or 6 games to find your touch, the point proved by Lee who continues to improve MOM for me, best player on the pitch however was George of Southend.

22Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Sat Feb 20 2021, 18:42

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:That second half was just excruciatingly bad but if we can be that poor and still come out with 3 points, bring it on I say. We still miss a player in the middle of the park to boss the game though, put his foot on the ball and direct play. None of our midfield are like that, other than possibly Young George. I just hope he doesn’t get sacrificed for Sarcevic now he’s fit again, he produces twice as much and his range of passing is immense. I’d have put him on instead of Sarcevic today as he did on Wednesday because we were crying out for someone to control the play but in the end we got the result. Two winnable home games coming up now which should see us into the play off places unless we cock it up again like last time we got on a run!!
I think Williams did a decent job and he and Lee are quality at this level but my biggest concern is the lack of cohesion when we get up the pitch. Worryingly a lot of it is down to poor touch and passing which really does have to improve massively if we are to get anywhere this season. So frustrating to watch them turn the ball over so often. Luckily we haven’t played teams capable of taking advantage recently but that will change.

Don’t forget everyone has 2 to 4 games in hand on us  so we just need to keep on winning and hope it’s enough.

23Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Sat Feb 20 2021, 19:05

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
For the second game running I was in the toilet when Bolton scored a late winner.

24Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Sat Feb 20 2021, 20:16

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:For the second game running I was in the toilet when Bolton scored a late winner.
Drink yourself stupid before the next game. This is definitely the only reason we won the past two

25Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Sat Feb 20 2021, 21:29

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I'll up my Pepsi intake for the team.

Crap performance today, but the 3 points is all that matters.

26Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Sat Feb 20 2021, 23:12

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
I'd forgotten what it felt like to go on a run like this but boy it feels good. Very Happy

Yes I know it's only League Two and we're still only 10th but so what? It's been too long since I felt luck is WITH us for a change so I'm going to enjoy this while it lasts. :COYW: :drink: :toppoints: ::bwfcfan::

27Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Sat Feb 20 2021, 23:15

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Report: Southend United 0-1 Bolton Wanderers

Substitute Shaun Miller scored his 100th career goal as he came off the bench to secure a late winner to complete a Sky Bet League Two double over Southend United at Roots Hall.

The striker was in the right place at the right time to fire home from close range after fellow sub Antoni Sarcevic’s deflected volley spun off the bar.
​​
​​The victory was Wanderers' third on the spin taking their unbeaten record to five games as they moved to tenth spot in the table.
​​
​​Ian Evatt made one change to the team that travelled to Roots Hall with Nathan Delfouneso coming in for Lloyd Isgrove, who was named amongst the substitutes.
​​
​​Wanderers started brightly and Dapo Afolayan was unlucky to fire a low shot just wide from the edge of the box after being played in by Declan John.
​​
​​Mark Oxley spilled a low shot from distance from Marcus Maddison with Doyle not far away with the follow up which looped just over the bar.
​​
​​At the other end, Ashley Nathaniel-George should have done better but drilled his effort wide of Matt Gilks’ right-hand post from the edge of the box.
​​
​​A clever flick from Afolayan saw him create space to surge into before threading the ball through to Doyle whose first-time strike went wide of goal.
​​
​​Afolayan had the ball in the back of the net after 17 minutes but the linesman had penalised Doyle for an offside in the build-up.
​​
​​Elvis Bwomono headed over from close range after reaching Hackett-Fairchild’s swing into the box with the game evenly poised.
​​
​​Oxley made a point-blank save from Alex Baptiste after Marcus Maddison had swung in a decent free-kick from the far side.
​​
​​Doyle then had a powerful angled drive cleared off the line after some good work from Delfouneso while Maddison was narrowly wide with a strike from distance seconds later which whistle just wide of the post.
​​
​​
​​Although no clear-cut chances were created during the opening stages of the second period, Wanderers were enjoying more possession and looking resolute in defence at the same time.
​​
​​Wanderers made a triple substitution after 63 minutes with Antoni Sarcevic, Arthur Gnahoua, and Lloyd Isgrove coming on for Afolayan, Maddison, and Delfouneso respectively.
​​
​​Evatt made another change with 15 minutes to go when Miller came on for Doyle to lead the line.
​​
​​Miller put Wanderers in front under bizarre circumstances with seven minutes to go with his first league for the club.
​​
​​Sarcevic’s volley from just outside the box took a wicked deflection which looped up and appeared to be going over the bar, but the ball floated down rebounded off the bar and into the substitute’s path. The former Crewe man made no mistake with his close-range volley to fire home.
​​
​​Wanderers survived two late corners with keeper Oxley allowed to join the attack, presumably to try and atone for his error which led to Miller’s winner.
​​
​​But they hung on for a memorable three points to take back home.
​​

Southend United: Oxley, Bwomono, Hobson, White, Clifford (Hart 78), Demetriou (Taylor 86), Dieng, Hackett-Fairchild (Holmes 67), Ferguson (Acquah 78), Nathaniel-George, Akinola.

Subs Not Used: Seaden, Cordner, McCormack.

Bolton Wanderers: Gilks, Jones, Williams, Almeida Santos, Delfouneso (Isgrove 63), Doyle (Miller, 75), Maddison (Gnahoua 63), Baptiste, John, Lee, Afolayan (Sarcevic 63).
​​
​​Subs Not Used: Jackson, Tutte, Thomason.

Goals: Miller (82).

28Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Sun Feb 21 2021, 15:08

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson
One important change I noticed, firstly in the Mansfield game because of the crap pitch, and a bit more yesterday, was that Gilks was kicking the ball much further up the pitch, 
The Mansfield game it was the right idea, as it was yesterday. However, yesterday, nobody had told the team that the ball was going to go further up the park, leaving most players in the two thirds nearest the goal, and there was no great rush to advance.
As for Maddison, he reintroduced the snapshot and long crossfield balls, back into the game, which is great, otherwise he was as much use as tits on a bull. You never know where he will be, and he really doesn't like getting involved in tackles. We need him, but can we afford to carry him for so much of the game?

29Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Sun Feb 21 2021, 19:00

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
I think you've answered your own question there gloswhite. We need Madison and that means we might have to carry him a bit but without him we're a poorer side. For now at least I'd say that ends the debate wouldn't you?

30Southend 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Southend 0-1 Bolton Sun Feb 21 2021, 19:29

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I think you've answered your own question there gloswhite. We need Madison and that means we might have to carry him a bit but without him we're a poorer side. For now at least I'd say that ends the debate wouldn't you?
Until the next game probably, especially if the rest of the team improve.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum