Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ian Evatt assesses Bolton Wanderers' busy schedule

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There are pluses and minuses for Ian Evatt when it comes to Bolton Wanderers' packed fixture programme.

On the one hand he feels it has helped build momentum, with a six-game winning run propelling them into the League Two play-offs positions before Saturday's point at Bradford City.

But on the other hand he is convinced he would be getting even more from his men if they were afforded a breather in between games.

Tonight's visit of second placed Cambridge United (kick-off 7pm) is the last midweek fixture this month - the 10th in a run of Saturday-midweek games stretching back to late January.

As it turns out, Wanderers are unbeaten in all of them so far.

But Evatt is looking forward to the chance to give his players rest and recovery in between fixtures, and hopefully reap the benefit that brings.

"It's easy for me to say it's been good for us because we've been on a great run," said Evatt when asked about the impact of playing twice a week. "We ARE on a great run.

"But we don't know how it would be if it was Saturday-Saturday-Saturday.

"My players are fatigued, of course they are. Would they produce even more if they were getting Saturday-Saturday rest? I think so because we can then get some more content and some more layering of the detail into the players on the training pitch and on the grass.

"We haven't had that opportunity. It's play-recover, play-recover and we're learning on the job.

"So after this week we're looking forward to having Saturday-Saturday games for the rest of March where we can get some content into the lads, get some recovery and go again for the last 10-11 games.

"But for now it is what it is, it's the same for every team.

"We're blessed that we've got a very strong squad, it's a competitive squad and they're all pushing each other in the right direction."

That upturn in form has led to both Evatt and defender Ricardo Santos being nominated for the League Two manager and player of the month awards respectively.

Imposing centre half Santos has contributed to four clean sheets, but his ability on the ball to move it out of defence was just as impressive in Wanderers' flawless February.

But Evatt is maintaining his focus on the bigger picture, not individual honours.

"It’s great for the club and my staff that I’m nominated. It’s great for Rico that he’s nominated. It just means that we are doing things right," he said.

"But awards mean nothing in February, no disrespect to anybody or the EFL. We want the awards in May and that’s what we’re going for.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum