Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

League 1 team next season

+5
terenceanne
Sluffy
Whitesince63
Boggersbelief
Norpig
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

31League 1 team next season - Page 3 Empty Re: League 1 team next season Sat May 15 2021, 17:05

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

T.R.O.Y. wrote:Got to sign a keeper, Dapo, somebody ready to step in for Baptiste and a striker in case Doyle can't make the step up. To be honest, i think the most important thing is keeping as many of this first team together as possible, there's a good system in place which works and they players are following, that needs to be retained and any new additions must fit into it - i think that's more important than a raft of new signings.
I agree we need to keep the core of the team together but unless we strengthen significantly, though we shouldn’t do a Swindon and go back down, we won’t be anywhere near challenging for promotion. Doyle alone up top won’t cut it so whether it means IE changing his system slightly to accommodate it is just something we have to do. I think having a more physical target man is essential, even if it’s not every game, because there have been times this season we’ve struggled to get on top of defences. What we do need is more goals from other positions, especially midfield when attacking and central defenders from set pieces and corners. I don’t see either Baps or Rico doing that so I think we do need another commanding centre back. I always thought Greenidge could have been that but he doesn’t seem to have the confidence of IE and will probably be away anyway. I do though trust IE to recruit the players he needs to field a challenging team next year, so first things first, let’s see who he retains tomorrow.

32League 1 team next season - Page 3 Empty Re: League 1 team next season Sun May 16 2021, 15:15

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Our advantage this time around is that the embargo is lifted and we have the so-called big club perception and bigger crowds than most in league one. Therefore more attractive to new players - having said that I don't know where we stand financially at the moment. In theory we should be able to land whoever Ian fancies all things being equal.

33League 1 team next season - Page 3 Empty Re: League 1 team next season Sun May 16 2021, 17:58

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

terenceanne wrote:Our advantage this time around is that the embargo is lifted and we have the so-called big club perception and bigger crowds than most in league one. Therefore more attractive to new players - having said that I don't know where we stand financially at the moment. In theory we should be able to land whoever Ian fancies all things being equal.

Well technically I'm not sure it is until FV pay off the unsecured creditors from the Administration this summer?

I'm certain that will happen because it will trigger a 15 point penalty if it doesn't!!!

34League 1 team next season - Page 3 Empty Re: League 1 team next season Sun May 16 2021, 23:01

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I think the club have already indicated that they can pay the creditors Sluffy and I can’t see them lying about such an important thing, so I’m not unduly worried on that front. We won’t have a lot to spend on transfers though, so I still expect mainly freebies and loans but at least we should be able to match most clubs on wages in L1.

35League 1 team next season - Page 3 Empty Re: League 1 team next season Sun May 16 2021, 23:46

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Whitesince63 wrote:I think the club have already indicated that they can pay the creditors Sluffy and I can’t see them lying about such an important thing, so I’m not unduly worried on that front. We won’t have a lot to spend on transfers though, so I still expect mainly freebies and loans but at least we should be able to match most clubs on wages in L1.

Yes I agree 63, I'm sure they will, I only mentioned it really as a technicality that hasn't been dealt with just yet.

I'm sure there will be a great many players looking for clubs at the end of the season in the EFL and it wouldn't surprise me if we pick up some former Championship regulars, as many clubs will probably be looking to tighten their financial belts following the Covid hit season just gone (and the part hit one the season before).

I can't see Evatt changing his game plan by much so let's hope some of the ones he brings in know where the goals are because we need to be scoring a few more than what we have been doing (as you have been advocating on WW before the usual suspects turned against you!).

You (and anyone else for that matter) are always very welcome on here any time you like, whatever your views and opinions are - you certainly don't have to keep in sweet with the clique on here!

Very Happy

36League 1 team next season - Page 3 Empty Re: League 1 team next season Mon May 17 2021, 14:58

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think we all expect some budgetary constraints so Evatt will have his work cut out and I imagine the real target will be consolidating in league 1 with anything above and beyond survival being a bonus.
I can't imagine in a month of Sundays that we have the funds to attract the talent required to put us in with a chance of promotion - which some fans think is on the cards.

37League 1 team next season - Page 3 Empty Re: League 1 team next season Mon May 17 2021, 16:42

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Sluffy wrote:

Yes I agree 63, I'm sure they will, I only mentioned it really as a technicality that hasn't been dealt with just yet.

I'm sure there will be a great many players looking for clubs at the end of the season in the EFL and it wouldn't surprise me if we pick up some former Championship regulars, as many clubs will probably be looking to tighten their financial belts following the Covid hit season just gone (and the part hit one the season before).

I can't see Evatt changing his game plan by much so let's hope some of the ones he brings in know where the goals are because we need to be scoring a few more than what we have been doing (as you have been advocating on WW before the usual suspects turned against you!).

You (and anyone else for that matter) are always very welcome on here any time you like, whatever your views and opinions are - you certainly don't have to keep in sweet with the clique on here!

Very Happy

Ha, thanks for that Sluffy. I found it hard to see why the abused (me) in trying to defend myself and politely, unlike the effing and blinding abuser cretins frequenting the site, would be the one suspended but hey ho, if that’s the way they want to work, I’m happy to leave them to it and stay here and Trotters sites. 

Like you I don’t see Evatt changing his methods, why should he when he’s got them working and will hopefully improve and build on them even more next season with new recruits on board? I agree there should be a plethora of talent available as clubs look to cut costs, so IE should be more than able to bring the players in that he wants well within the budgets he’s been set. I’m really looking forward to next season in a way that I haven’t for years, feeling much more confident that we are eventually on the way back up to where we belong.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum