Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OFFICIAL - George Johnson signs a three year contract!

+2
wanderlust
Sluffy
6 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Uncomfortable interview in many ways possibly due to the same old scripted questions. They may have been scripted answers too - how many times have we heard "massive club"/ "knew Bolton as a Premiership team when I was growing up" etc etc. I have to say I'm finding it difficult to learn anything about players from this series of interviews.
Still glad he's on board though as we'd be in deep shit with just Delaney as back up.

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Well maybe to them we are a massive club Wander and at their age, they would have remembered us as a PL side and be aware of our fall from grace. I’m not sure what other questions you’d like to be asked because if you look at interviews at other clubs they’re all pretty similar. The guys only been here a matter of days so there’s not much more he can say than he did in this interview but what questions would you like to be asked and maybe they can be used in forthcoming ones?

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Not sure where this lad fits in - seems like center back is his preferred position. So back up to Baps?  - maybe setting up for next year when Baps lets go - dunno.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

terenceanne wrote:Not sure where this lad fits in - seems like center back is his preferred position. So back up to Baps?  - maybe setting up for next year when Baps lets go - dunno.

The thought crossed my mind too.

I believe I read somewhere that his position is left sided centre back (although can play in other defensive positions) in which case he's more likely to be back up to Santos.

Seems fairly obvious that Santos and Baptiste can't play every match next season so it makes sense to get decent understudies to get used to the players and systems and step up to cover when required for Santos and Baptiste who is probably in his last season anyway.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Evatt talked about having cover in every position and with JohnsTon and Delaney we now have the CB thing boxed off and they can scrap for who starts.

Whitesince wrote: wrote:Well maybe to them we are a massive club Wander and at their age, they would have remembered us as a PL side and be aware of our fall from grace. I’m not sure what other questions you’d like to be asked because if you look at interviews at other clubs they’re all pretty similar. The guys only been here a matter of days so there’s not much more he can say than he did in this interview but what questions would you like to be asked and maybe they can be used in forthcoming ones?

All I'm saying is that the Q&A's are getting so repetitive especially in the use of certain words and phrases that I suspect they've been media-trained and briefed. Fair enough if you don't want anyone to say anything daft but f*** me it's boring Smile
IMO they should be asked a few more challenging questions like "how fast are you?" or "how many injuries have you had?" or "why do you think you can break into this team and what are you especially good at?" or "how many goals are you going to score next season?" - you know, stuff we can hang them with if they don't deliver Smile

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Bolton Wanderers beat us to George Johnston, admits Wigan Athletic chief

WIGAN Athletic chief executive Mal Brannigan has confirmed that his club tried to sign defender George Johnston before he opted to join Wanderers.

Johnston helped the Latics avoid relegation in League One last season, making 22 appearances and scoring one goal in a loan move from Dutch giants Feyenoord.

The former Liverpool Under-23s defender became a free agent in the summer, with Wigan one of a handful of League One clubs who tried to bring him back to the UK on a permanent basis.

Wanderers won the race, snapping him up on a three-year deal last week.

Brannigan – whose club also lost out on the signing of Lee Evans to Ipswich Town – explained to Wigan Today: “Our offers were at the level we were happy with.

“Beyond that, if the offers are higher elsewhere, then so be it.

“Sometimes players move because they want to seek a different challenge, at a different point in their career.

“In terms of those two players (Evans and Johnston), and maybe others, that can happen.

“But there is a reason for that, and sometimes that reason is not always within our control.”

Wanderers have made a solid start to their recruitment this summer, bringing in three players on permanent deals so far.

Ian Evatt has also said he is “confident” that an arrangement will soon be reached with left-back Declan John, although at time of writing there is no official announcement due.

The Bolton boss has stated repeatedly that the club will not compromise its plan to remain financially stable but he feels there are other attractive factors which convince targets to pick the UniBol over rivals in the division.

“We are not going to be the biggest spenders in League One and I don’t want us to be,” he said.

“Some clubs will offer more money for the players we are targeting but this football club, the fanbase, the stadium, the training ground, the way we play, that all has a value as well.

“It may not be a financial value – but there is a value to it – and players need to understand that.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

3 years for someone I've never heard of?

Madness.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i see you've got more positive in your time away from here  Very Happy

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's dishing out silly contracts that contributed to the financial mess we got ourselves into.

3 years for anyone is too long at this level.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum