Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Bolton Wanderers Banter » OFFICIAL - Bolton Wanderers YouTube documentary PART ONE BELOW!!!

OFFICIAL - Bolton Wanderers YouTube documentary PART ONE BELOW!!!

+3
Norpig
BoltonTillIDie
Sluffy
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin


Here's everything we know so far

FOR several years now Bolton Wanderers fans have joked that the club’s fluctuating fortunes should have been made into a Hollywood drama.

Relegations, promotions, ownership battles, administration – the truth at the University of Bolton stadium genuinely has been stranger than fiction, for the most part.

At the start of the year a top-secret project was launched by production company 5or6 Creative, charting the recent history of a founder member of the Football League, which had by that point fallen into the fourth tier for only the second time in its history.

Cameras were given exclusive behind-the-scenes access to the dressing room, the training ground and everywhere in between to bring a unique view of Ian Evatt’s side in action.

On Friday, the first of a two-part documentary will air on Wanderers’ official YouTube channel entitled: Born to be a Wanderer.

The producers were responsible for the video which has accompanied Bolton’s season ticket campaign, which has gone down well with supporters, and a trailer released in midweek for the forthcoming documentary has also sparked excitement.

The sneak peek outlined a few of the things we can expect from the programme, which also contains appearances from chairman, Sharon Brittan, chief operating officer, Andy Gartside, Bolton’s media guru, Paul Holliday, manager, Ian Evatt, and Wanderers legend, John McGinlay.

But what else can we glean from the minute-long preview? We decided to take a look…

A TASTE OF HISTORY - “People of the town, the supporters, they are proud of their football club, they are proud of their town,” begins McGinlay, before stock footage of Nat Lofthouse, Frank Worthington, McGinlay himself and a snippet of commentary from the much-missed Dave Higson plays in the background.

“We have seen some hard times lately,” he adds, as a clip of Michael Ricketts scoring the winner against Manchester United in 2001.

A qualified narrator of all things Wanderers, the former Burnden Park favourite knows what makes fans of his beloved club tick.The sneak peek outlined a few of the things we can expect from the programme, which also contains appearances from chairman, Sharon Brittan, chief operating officer, Andy Gartside, Bolton’s media guru, Paul Holliday, manager, Ian Evatt, and Wanderers legend, John McGinlay.

But what else can we glean from the minute-long preview? We decided to take a look…

A TASTE OF HISTORY - “People of the town, the supporters, they are proud of their football club, they are proud of their town,” begins McGinlay, before stock footage of Nat Lofthouse, Frank Worthington, McGinlay himself and a snippet of commentary from the much-missed Dave Higson plays in the background.

“We have seen some hard times lately,” he adds, as a clip of Michael Ricketts scoring the winner against Manchester United in 2001.

A qualified narrator of all things Wanderers, the former Burnden Park favourite knows what makes fans of his beloved club tick.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]



Last edited by Sluffy on Fri 11 Jun - 17:13; edited 1 time in total

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
looking forward to this

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
Part One

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Watched it last night and it was interesting, especially the part with Evatt dishing out a HT bollocking  Very Happy

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
Tbh I thought is was more on the sickly sweet side for my liking.

I was hoping for a warts and all documentary not a loving and emotional one.

The Evatt tantrum was what I was hoping to see rather the hearts and flowers stuff although it did make me laugh when Paul Holliday was talking about how the staff wouldn't let the club die and would never go on strike - maybe not Paul but Wheater and the rest of the players did - a few times as well!!!

Ten Bobsworth


El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Tbh I thought is was more on the sickly sweet side for my liking.

I was hoping for a warts and all documentary not a loving and emotional one.

The Evatt tantrum was what I was hoping to see rather the hearts and flowers stuff although it did make me laugh when Paul Holliday was talking about how the staff wouldn't let the club die and would never go on strike - maybe not Paul but Wheater and the rest of the players did - a few times as well!!!

I haven't watched it, Sluffy, and I'm not sure I'm going to bother. From what I've heard it sounds a lot like tosh for TWE*PS

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Give it a go Bob, it's bona.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Tbh I thought is was more on the sickly sweet side for my liking.

I was hoping for a warts and all documentary not a loving and emotional one.

The Evatt tantrum was what I was hoping to see rather the hearts and flowers stuff although it did make me laugh when Paul Holliday was talking about how the staff wouldn't let the club die and would never go on strike - maybe not Paul but Wheater and the rest of the players did - a few times as well!!!

I haven't watched it, Sluffy, and I'm not sure I'm going to bother. From what I've heard it sounds a lot like tosh for TWE*PS

It was only about 20 mins long, so very much shorter than I was expecting and I mistakenly thought it would be about the players and managers behind the scenes as the second half of the season unfolded - and really what a great story it was with a cliff hanger up to the last day to see if we would go up automatically or not but instead we had Dearden, Iles, Gartside, McGinlay, Holliday and Sharon telling us what a wonderful club we had, we lived the dream but spent foolishly, acted badly (I can't recall Ken Anderson was ever mentioned but clearly he was clearly the name that no one mentioned but everybody meant as the bad guy) and how Sharon had a dream as a child to own a club and here she is now living it!

The to wrap the first part up we had Evatt telling us he shared Sharon's dream and together they will lead us back to the promise land.

I'm a bit too hard nose for such sentimental slush but no doubt many others loved every word of it all.

Maybe the concluding part will be about our rise from 20th (iirc) at the end of January to almost champions a few months later, or about whatever Phoenix was about and why he was shown the door, or what really happened with Madison (I've read different story's about why he went!).  Let's see the team bonding and the bollockings, the dirty tricks played on us and us on other teams, the player personalities, the jokers and the driven - there's really so much good stuff to see.

I somehow think it's going to be more of the hearts and flowers though - hope I'm wrong.

Ten Bobsworth


El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

It was only about 20 mins long, so very much shorter than I was expecting and I mistakenly thought it would be about the players and managers behind the scenes as the second half of the season unfolded - and really what a great story it was with a cliff hanger up to the last day to see if we would go up automatically or not but instead we had Dearden, Iles, Gartside, McGinlay, Holliday and Sharon telling us what a wonderful club we had, we lived the dream but spent foolishly, acted badly (I can't recall Ken Anderson was ever mentioned but clearly he was clearly the name that no one mentioned but everybody meant as the bad guy) and how Sharon had a dream as a child to own a club and here she is now living it!

The to wrap the first part up we had Evatt telling us he shared Sharon's dream and together they will lead us back to the promise land.

I'm a bit too hard nose for such sentimental slush but no doubt many others loved every word of it all.

Maybe the concluding part will be about our rise from 20th (iirc) at the end of January to almost champions a few months later, or about whatever Phoenix was about and why he was shown the door, or what really happened with Madison (I've read different story's about why he went!).  Let's see the team bonding and the bollockings, the dirty tricks played on us and us on other teams, the player personalities, the jokers and the driven - there's really so much good stuff to see.

I somehow think it's going to be more of the hearts and flowers though - hope I'm wrong.
No room for Terrie and the Dreamers then, Sluffy? Are they saving the ST mob for Part 2?



Did anyone mention who paid for the Reebok? Good luck to her, but could it be that its Sharon that's 'living the dream' and that she hasn't had to pay much for it? Well not yet anyway.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
There was a small clip of an unattributed bloke saying something outside the Reebok who I believed to be Ian Bridge of the ST but he nor the ST were mentioned by name.  There was a clip of the pointless crowd protest of the lap around the Reebok (just shows how many 'sheep' there are in life) but I can't recall the commentary stating what the clip was about.

Tbh I don't really know why they've done this documentary at all?

Who is the intended audience?

Who commissioned it and why?

I mean there is a 'story' there which is of interest, namely a 'fairy tale' rise of a club on the brink of relegation out of the league to automatic promotion against all the odds but the documentary, up to now anyway, has just been about 'look how nice we are' sort of thing to my eyes.

Let us see what part two brings.

Ten Bobsworth


El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:There was a small clip of an unattributed bloke saying something outside the Reebok who I believed to be Ian Bridge of the ST but he nor the ST were mentioned by name.  There was a clip of the pointless crowd protest of the lap around the Reebok (just shows how many 'sheep' there are in life) but I can't recall the commentary stating what the clip was about.

Tbh I don't really know why they've done this documentary at all?

Who is the intended audience?

Who commissioned it and why?

I mean there is a 'story' there which is of interest, namely a 'fairy tale' rise of a club on the brink of relegation out of the league to automatic promotion against all the odds but the documentary, up to now anyway, has just been about 'look how nice we are' sort of thing to my eyes.

Let us see what part two brings.
That was Ian Bridge. Lost a lot of weight. Hope he's OK.

Heard the voice of Maggie Tetlow too.

Its intended for those who are relatively easily seduced by nicey nicey gestures, PR and lip gloss and is evidently something of a collaboration between the Beeno, the ST and the club's PR set-up.

I was reminded of that Panorama programme where the Beeb tried to stitch up Phil Gartside and Sam Allardyce based almost entirely on innuendo and dubious hearsay.

Mistakes were made by somebody at sometime and we're too smart to do the same! Yeh right.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:There was a small clip of an unattributed bloke saying something outside the Reebok who I believed to be Ian Bridge of the ST but he nor the ST were mentioned by name.  There was a clip of the pointless crowd protest of the lap around the Reebok (just shows how many 'sheep' there are in life) but I can't recall the commentary stating what the clip was about.

Tbh I don't really know why they've done this documentary at all?

Who is the intended audience?

Who commissioned it and why?

I mean there is a 'story' there which is of interest, namely a 'fairy tale' rise of a club on the brink of relegation out of the league to automatic promotion against all the odds but the documentary, up to now anyway, has just been about 'look how nice we are' sort of thing to my eyes.

Let us see what part two brings.
That was Ian Bridge. Lost a lot of weight. Hope he's OK.

Heard the voice of Maggie Tetlow too.

Its intended for those who are relatively easily seduced by nicey nicey gestures, PR and lip gloss and is evidently something of a collaboration between the Beeno, the ST and the club's PR set-up.

I was reminded of that Panorama programme where the Beeb tried to stitch up Phil Gartside and Sam Allardyce based almost entirely on innuendo and dubious hearsay.

Mistakes were made by somebody at sometime and we're too smart to do the same! Yeh right.

Yes I thought the same too about Bridge's weight loss and similarly wish that he's well and healthy.

I also noticed at the end credits it mentioned The Wanderer podcast - who has Tetlow has one of the main leads on there.  (Personally I am not a big fan of the podcast and seldom listen to it but I know many people are avid listeners).

The documentary is clearly under the control of Sharon as it is just directly echoing what she wants us to hear, namely the one club, one community mantra she wants us to believe and buy into - which of course many will.

I'm not against that in its self but I still can't see why she has gone to the trouble of buying our particular club and potentially be millions of pounds out of pocket to do so and run it when she hasn't even got a Bolton connection with either the club or the community herself???

There's got to be more to it in my mind and if people want to believe in Father Christmas, the Easter Bunny and Sharon is doing all this simply from the goodness of their heart, well that is up to them.

Anyway let us see what part two brings, maybe we will see a bit of the football rather than the flowery gush we've had served to us so far?

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
As promos go it wasn't bad. Easy to pick holes in it but given the very specific content I guess the target market is former and potential season ticket holders and the objective is to boost season ticket sales - and they haven't done a bad job. Not sure how effective it will be as the low hanging fruit has already been picked but let's hope it works.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
Just been trying to figure out what all this is about and have come up with this -

Fiveorsix is the company that made the documentary and call themselves this from their twitter account -

We are 5or6 Creative, a global specialist in #branding, #digitalmarketing #webdesign #videoproduction Here to help you tell your brand story.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Their web site is a bit weird but if you 'fish around' with your cursor on their front page (their front page is completely black and counts up from 1 to 100 them just stops?) you can find things (at the top right) to click on - and even then it seems to take an age to load their next (scroll up) pages?

Anyway this is what they say they've done for BWFC -

In a season with no fans in the Stadium due to the COVID-19 pandemic, a new owner, new manager and 11 players making their league debut on the first game of the season, the club wanted to reach its supporters by bringing them access like they’ve never had it before. We were given open-door access to the historic club to tell the story of their 2020/21 season.

After the highs of Premier League successes and European adventures, Bolton Wanderers find themselves struggling in League Two with its very existence in the balance. This series reflects on some of the darkest moments in recent history and for the first time, gives an insight into the new owner Sharon Brittan and what’s driven her to save the football club.

After an initial teaser trailer, the two-part documentary aired via Bolton Wanderer’s social media channels. The first episode tracks new manager Ian Evatt just as the club starts to turn the corner after a tough few months in League Two. Episode 2 charts club Player of the Year Ricardo Almeida Santos and top goalscorer Eoin Doyle as the season reaches its dramatic climax.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Tbh, I'm still non the wiser of what the purpose of the documentary really is?

I don't think it is aimed at selling ST's, Wanderers fans know the score and will buy them or not irrespective of this 'documentary'.

Is it some sort of advert to help sell the club, attract investment?  Is it to put Santos and Doyle in the shop window?  Is it a vanity project?  Is it a dry run for the company to do a Netflix type Sunderland documentary at presumably a 'big' club - as I can't see the nation tuning in to see how we get on in Division 3 can you?

I don't know, wonder if Fin has got some sort of professional take on this?

Any opinion Fin?

At least there should be some football in part 2!

Ten Bobsworth


El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
5 or 6 Limited is a micro company with net assets of £1,269. 

Global specialist? More like fur coat and no knickers if you ask me but there's plenty of TWE*Ps who like that sort of stuff.

And well done Sluffy for sniffing it out.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:5 or 6 Limited is a micro company with net assets of £1,269. 

Global specialist? More like fur coat and no knickers if you ask me but there's plenty of TWE*Ps who like that sort of stuff.

And well done Sluffy for sniffing it out.

Thanks Bob.

I was just curious to learn what the purpose of the documentary was all about - and I still don't - but I am beginning to wonder if the benefit of it all was not for BWFC (as we all assume it to be) but for 5or6 Ltd themselves?

Dr Peter C Simmons is the CEO of 5or6 Elite as per his Twitter account...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

...but if you care to look at his background (all in the public domain I add) he also turns out to be the Vice President of Loughborough University's Football Club

Loughborough University
18 years

Vice President
May 2012 - Present - 9 years 2 months

Loughborough, England, United Kingdom

Vice President of Loughborough University football club.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

(Now if you recall we held our preseason at Loughborough University - so I guess there must be some sort of connection dating back to then if not before).

If you look at the previous work 5or6 has undertaken it ALL seems to be sports related and sport has, as we know, been badly effected by Covid so much so that most outside the elite sport level has been stopped/suspended for a year or more.

I'm beginning to wonder that 5or6 had no work to do, possibly normally use or employ university students from Loughborough University, and thus had the time and resources to undertake a several months long project starting in January, for someone they already knew (Sharon/BWFC) funded by Loughborough University and not actually BWFC and this being part of the University 'teaching' for students who also have been impacted by the pandemic?

Whoever did the filming/interviews etc had to be part of the 'bubble' at the club, particularly if and when they were interviewing and filming with Evatt and the players - so I'm guessing the clubs PR staff themselves were somehow directly involved behind the scenes of the documentary?

I'm just guessing really but it could be an explanation behind as to why such a strange documentary has been made - and I mean strange in the sense that it clearly isn't commercial (who will see it other than Bolton fans - and remember it is free to view - ok a few adverts added but you can skip them like I did), it clearly doesn't feature on the main general interest namely our unexpected fairy tale promotion which coincided with the filming, and why presumably it was free or little cost to the club which had to play a full year without fans and match day revenues.

A sort of win, win collaboration for both sides (including the University) rather than a commissioned work from BWFC.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Definitely promotional. As it says on the tin "here to help you tell your brand story".
PR is a a very broad church - not just old school advertising.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Definitely promotional. As it says on the tin "here to help you tell your brand story".
PR is a a very broad church - not just old school advertising.

A promotional for what though?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I don't think it is aimed at selling ST's, Wanderers fans know the score and will buy them or not irrespective of this 'documentary'.

Is it some sort of advert to help sell the club, attract investment?  Is it to put Santos and Doyle in the shop window?  Is it a vanity project?  Is it a dry run for the company to do a Netflix type Sunderland documentary at presumably a 'big' club - as I can't see the nation tuning in to see how we get on in Division 3 can you?

It has been done for a reason but what is that reason?

As I say, the reason may not even have been driven by BWFC at all and the club could simply be more the recipient and beneficiary of rather than having even commissioned and paid for it?

Not that it matters either way, I'm simply just curious what is the reason why one was done and what presumably a two twenty minute documentary, destined to be seen by precious few other than existing Bolton fans, is a worthwhile outcome of following a club for half a season in which we got promoted in fairy tale style!

I can only assume there is more to the reasons than just a promotional video - and let's be honest, one that even could have been done by the clubs own inhouse PR team - indeed it wouldn't surprise me in the least if large parts had!

I suspect the Loughborough University connection is the key to understanding all of this.

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
I just read the "documentary" as being part of their overarching brand campaign. It's still an ad. Whatever their mission statement is, whatever they consider their USPs to be, I'd imagine their intention is to build on their (so far) commendable efforts to better connect the club to the fanbase - which it does a good job of - and gradually grow it. These spots sell the history of the club with legends like Lofthouse, Worthington, McGinlay which appeals to the older fans and makes us proud to be Bolton fans. Gives them some good social media content too which has been very poor to date.

Ultimately though, these brand spots are in support of their Welcome Home season ticket campaign which seems to focus on the current regime of our exciting young manager Ian Evatt and our promotion winning heroes who hopefully appeal to a younger fanbase.

At the end of the day it all ladders up to the same message... Buy a season ticket!

I think the creative agency did a pretty good job with what I would imagine was a pretty small budget. We were once a great club, sank to the depths of the football league but now we're on the rise again with great things to come. Seems like the right narrative to me.

Ten Bobsworth


El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
'Global specialist' or Loughborough University wallah doing a bit on the side?

PR folk employ the same tactics as scammers. Press their buttons and see how many daft b*ggers fall for it.

Lets see the accounts. I'd be interested to know if anyone's put in, or left in, as much as Michael James/Prescott Business Park Ltd (who rarely  get a mention).

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I just read the "documentary" as being part of their overarching brand campaign. It's still an ad. Whatever their mission statement is, whatever they consider their USPs to be, I'd imagine their intention is to build on their (so far) commendable efforts to better connect the club to the fanbase - which it does a good job of - and gradually grow it. These spots sell the history of the club with legends like Lofthouse, Worthington, McGinlay which appeals to the older fans and makes us proud to be Bolton fans. Gives them some good social media content too which has been very poor to date.

Ultimately though, these brand spots are in support of their Welcome Home season ticket campaign which seems to focus on the current regime of our exciting young manager Ian Evatt and our promotion winning heroes who hopefully appeal to a younger fanbase.

At the end of the day it all ladders up to the same message... Buy a season ticket!

I think the creative agency did a pretty good job with what I would imagine was a pretty small budget.

Thanks for your input Fin.

The timing of the documentary certainly coincides with ST's going on general sale but if it was just for that purpose alone then why do an open access to all areas of the club, five month project, just to do that???

I don't know what these things cost but the club has had no match day income for a year and is due to pay off £3.5m worth of unsecured creditors shortly, so it doesn't make such a venture seem financially viable - I mean they would get exactly the same result they wanted by just these spots (which I assume you mean interviews?) without the need to pay for them to follow the club around for half a season as well, wouldn't they?

I guess we will never actually know but I suspect this is more a two-way beneficial project to all partys involved than simply a BWFC commission simply to flog a few more ST's.

Thanks again for your reply.

Hope you and your family are keeping safe over the other side of the pond.

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
Dunno, Sluffy. I only skimmed it. Done properly creative is generally 10% of the overall campaign budget whatever the goal. They may also have obligations to partners and investors to spend x amount on marketing every year.

All good over here thanks. I hope you and yours are well too.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Maybe they used the students at Loughborough Uni who are on the types of courses that could produce videos like this? Would be good for them and cheap for us.

I thought the same as Fin, it was to encourage people wondering whether to get a season ticket for next season to actually get one.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Maybe they used the students at Loughborough Uni who are on the types of courses that could produce videos like this? Would be good for them and cheap for us.

I thought the same as Fin, it was to encourage people wondering whether to get a season ticket for next season to actually get one.

That's actually the point I've been alluding to (and that it would also keep the company 5to6 ticking over whilst there isn't much sports promotion work about during the last year or so).

Maybe it is all about selling ST's but if it is then how does a 5 month open all areas of the club, help in doing that - and why pay for such if it really doesn't add to selling ST's if that was the only objective in the first place.

Just doesn't fit together in my mind - not that it really means much - just got me a bit curious, that's all.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Dunno, Sluffy. I only skimmed it. Done properly creative is generally 10% of the overall campaign budget whatever the goal. They may also have obligations to partners and investors to spend x amount on marketing every year.

All good over here thanks. I hope you and yours are well too.

All good for me too thanks, my daughter is now living in London and gets her first jab this week, so she's moving forward with her life too.

We don't seem to hear much about Covid and America much over here so I assume that no news is good news - hope so any way?

Thanks for your replies about the documentary, as long as those that are/have paid for it are happy then I guess that's all that matters - certainly the twitter reply's to it are all swooning over it (but then again the saying preaching to the converted comes to mind it those cases).

Onwards and upwards now for the mighty whites from now on eh!

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
I'm typically inclined to trust that the owners/people running the business side of things and those managing the football operations to know what they're doing.

As far as I'm aware Sharon Brittan has done a great job since taking over and Ian Evatt certainly delivered last season, albeit by the skin of his teeth. I'll never know enough about running a football club to question her decisions and I'm not one to question team selections by any manager because I don't work with the players every day or study the opposition. They're the experts.

I just hope that we're financially stable enough to support IE in his League 1 campaign. I've noticed a lot of optimism about our chances of promotion next season but only see a League 2 squad so far. I don't know if there is a big difference in quality between L1 and L2 but can only presume that the majority of players in L1 are there because they're better than their L2 counterparts. Hopefully, our current squad can make the step up.

Let's see what happens between now and the new season kicking off but I'll be happy with staying up at this stage. New signings with experience of playing at a higher level are essential in the next few weeks if we're to keep the momentum and winning mentality around the club.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Part 2 coming out at 5 

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum