Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » Alphabetical Order

Alphabetical Order

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Alphabetical Order Empty Alphabetical Order Sun Jun 13 2021, 18:23

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Obviously a lot of people invite me round to their house so I see a lot of interiors. Wherever I go I make a beeline for the hosts music collection because it says a lot about that person. Sadly, I often have to leave immediately as the quality is so poor.

But what really annoys me is when people don't have their CDs/vinyl/cassettes in alphabetical order. How can you live your life in such chaos? I have a lot of music and it is all perfectly alphabetised. Ok, it can be annoying when you get a new album where the artist begins with 'A', and you have to move the majority of your collection down one, often onto another shelf. But it's worth it.

I imagine TROY, sluffy & finlay all have their collection neatly in alphabetical order. But I bet Hip Priest has Abba next to ZZ Top and KP has Britney Spears alongside Take That.

Posters that I think have an alphabetical system:

Me
Sluffy
TROY
Observer
Glos
Okocha
Whitesince63
Cajun
Finlay
Bobsworth
Terenceanne

Posters that I think live in musical chaos:

KP
Hip Priest
Norpig
Bonce
BTID
Keegan
Boggers
Martin
Wanderlust
Wessy
LPP

I'm right aren't I.

2Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Sun Jun 13 2021, 18:54

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I live in the future and use Spotify.

3Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Sun Jun 13 2021, 19:05

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@BoltonTillIDie wrote:I live in the future and use Spotify.

Ok, what about your Mr Men books?

4Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Sun Jun 13 2021, 19:10

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I get YouTube to read them for me, that way I only have to worry about falling asleep.

5Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Sun Jun 13 2021, 19:36

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
'F' for Folk. Simple.

And Bob has to be organised. Stacking 78's is murder.

6Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Sun Jun 13 2021, 20:57

T.R.O.Y.


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
You’d be wrong about me my vinyls a mess and I like it that way, keeps me guessing. Don’t have that much though - around 50. I’m the iTunes generation 10,000 useless mp3s downloaded then stuck on a hard drive. I can’t bring myself to delete any of them despite it all being on Spotify now.

Kids will never understand the skill in finding a good torrent which wouldn’t infect your computer.

7Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Sun Jun 13 2021, 21:38

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
I had quite a lot of vinyl's back in the day,  I also had a very good memory back then too!

I didn't have a system as such but always put the last record I played at the front of my collection (so in a sense I did have a very simple system).

If I wanted to find a record I hadn't played for a while I simple pulled out one where I thought it would be and could judge fairly accurately if I'd played that one more recent or not than the one I was looking for and could track down the one I wanted quickly and easily from there.

Back in the day I was quite a big Tamala Motown fan and a bit later Bowie/Roxy music.

I didn't mind The Beatles, Stones, Beach Boy stuff but I couldn't stand the headbanging and psychedelic shit and the up their own arse big vanity concept albums of the day.

I didn't mind the Punk era but lost interest when New Romantic came along and gave up completely when rap and hip hop took over.

I ended up giving my vinyl collection to my nephew's son a few years back - apparently he was over the moon to inherit such a collection - made him really cool at school and all that!

Don't know if he still listen's to them or car booted them but they kept me amused at the time.

And for those of you who may think Greta, Dale Vince and Boncey are here to save the world for us, here is Marvin telling us about it in a record from 50 years ago!!!

8Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Sun Jun 13 2021, 22:21

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@T.R.O.Y. wrote:Kids will never understand the skill in finding a good torrent which wouldn’t infect your computer.
Haha so true! 

Napster when it first came out was a nightmare for that until it finally went legit. 

It brought back memories of Kazaa too that did! Very Happy

9Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Sun Jun 13 2021, 22:48

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Our old record player used to constantly skip. We finally solved the problem by weighing the stylus arm down with a threepenny bit. 
Stone age technology.

10Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Sun Jun 13 2021, 23:22

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Natasha Whittam wrote:Obviously a lot of people invite me round to their house so I see a lot of interiors. Wherever I go I make a beeline for the hosts music collection because it says a lot about that person. Sadly, I often have to leave immediately as the quality is so poor.

But what really annoys me is when people don't have their CDs/vinyl/cassettes in alphabetical order. How can you live your life in such chaos? I have a lot of music and it is all perfectly alphabetised. Ok, it can be annoying when you get a new album where the artist begins with 'A', and you have to move the majority of your collection down one, often onto another shelf. But it's worth it.

I imagine TROY, sluffy & finlay all have their collection neatly in alphabetical order. But I bet Hip Priest has Abba next to ZZ Top and KP has Britney Spears alongside Take That.

Posters that I think have an alphabetical system:

Me
Sluffy
TROY
Observer
Glos
Okocha
Whitesince63
Cajun
Finlay
Bobsworth
Terenceanne

Posters that I think live in musical chaos:

KP
Hip Priest
Norpig
Bonce
BTID
Keegan
Boggers
Martin
Wanderlust
Wessy
LPP

I'm right aren't I.
I'm more in the "posters that don't give a flying f*** about how you organise your popular dance combo and talking ego recordings" category but personally my vinyl is in boxes, everything else is digital and I have a storage unit for especially for rap...........
Alphabetical Order Old-trashcan-clipping-path-picture-id171584082?s=612x612

11Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Sun Jun 13 2021, 23:34

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Had a summons from my mum today. I thought it might be about her new slippers being too tight, too big, or not the colour they looked on amazon.
But no. She wanted me to buy her some Boy George CD's.
History has taught me not to ask questions, so I said I would, and left it at that. Now I'm wondering what has caused her to take this drastic musical step.
Is George big with the over nineties? Have I missed something. I've not seen her this excited since Brian Poole and The Tremeloes.

12Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Sun Jun 13 2021, 23:42

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
@boltonbonce wrote:Our old record player used to constantly skip. We finally solved the problem by weighing the stylus arm down with a threepenny bit. 
Stone age technology.

Used to do that often back in the day.

When I was a child I remember as a 'treat' my grandfather used to take us into his front parlour (we never went in there ever otherwise) and he used to play us records on his gramophone which had the 'trumpet' looking thing something like the HMV logo one.

Alphabetical Order Old-gramophone-picture-id495213723

I remember him 'winding it up' and also swivelling the needle round to play.

Thinking about it a bit he served in WWI so probably bought it sometime in the 1920/30's.

I can even remember the music was the Caruso 'opera' type stuff.

I was too young to realise much of what was going on at the time, I was still at the 'are you sitting comfortably, then I'll begin' radio listening stage of my life but even then I knew I didn't like the music he was playing.

Hard to imagine really that I can in effect link things that my grandad had and used and talk about on here which spans a hundred years or more ago.

Amazing to think how things have changed so much over the years.

13Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Sun Jun 13 2021, 23:50

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Great those wind up jobs. Had to stuff a sock down the trumpet to muffle the sound. Hence the phrase 'put a sock in it'.
My grandad had one. His records alternated between opera and jazz, and he was a big fan of Swedish tenor Jussi Bjorling, a passion he passed on to me.

14Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Mon Jun 14 2021, 00:38

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
You’re absolutely right about me. All my vinyl is alphabetized with the exception of The Damned who have their own shelf. I got rid of my cassettes years ago and the alphabetized CDs reside in the basement now as I no longer have anything to play them on.

15Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Mon Jun 14 2021, 01:38

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
@boltonbonce wrote:Had a summons from my mum today. I thought it might be about her new slippers being too tight, too big, or not the colour they looked on amazon.
But no. She wanted me to buy her some Boy George CD's.
History has taught me not to ask questions, so I said I would, and left it at that. Now I'm wondering what has caused her to take this drastic musical step.
Is George big with the over nineties? Have I missed something. I've not seen her this excited since Brian Poole and The Tremeloes.

I think the answer to your quandary Bonce is that either BBC4 or Sky Arts (can't remember which) had a bit of a Boy George nostalgia night a couple of nights ago. Didn't watch it myself but it would appear your mum probably did. God knows how George has managed to worm his way into your mum's affections at her age, (I mean it's not like he is a Clark Gable or a Kirk Douglas type or anything like that is it). You'd better keep an eye on her, if she suddenly starts buying tartan items of clothing and singing "Shang a Lang" all the time you might have a bit of a problem. Very Happy

16Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Mon Jun 14 2021, 01:57

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
You're half right about me Nat. I have a mountainous collection of vinyl. cassette tapes and CD's which have accumulated over the years . For almost the whole of my life their organisation could be described as chaotic at best. Finally, 2 years ago I surrendered to the constantly nagging OCD side of my brain and organised my CD collection into alphabetic order. I have so many that it took me the best part of a week to do but it was immensely gratifying and gave me a great sense of peace and achievement.
Unfortunately young Doffcocker now borrows them on a regular basis and slots them back wherever it suits him, so I'm back at square 1 really.

17Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Mon Jun 14 2021, 08:35

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Hip Priest wrote:

I think the answer to your quandary Bonce is that either BBC4 or Sky Arts (can't remember which) had a bit of a Boy George nostalgia night a couple of nights ago. Didn't watch it myself but it would appear your mum probably did. God knows how George has managed to worm his way into your mum's affections at her age, (I mean it's not like he is a Clark Gable or a Kirk Douglas type or anything like that is it). You'd better keep an eye on her, if she suddenly starts buying tartan items of clothing and singing "Shang a Lang" all the time you might have a bit of a problem. Very Happy
I've now checked, and she did watch those programmes. I'm hoping I can steer her away from any programmes about Bono.

18Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Tue Jun 15 2021, 08:25

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
yes i i am in musical chaos, i have my Public Enemy cd's on the shelf with my Nick Drake collection  Very Happy

It can be a bugger trying to find a cd on my rack of shelves but i get there in the end and sometimes i stumble across something i'd forgotten about which is always a bonus.

I do use bandcamp and itunes more now but do still buy the occasional cd.

19Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Tue Jun 15 2021, 09:59

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Norpig wrote:yes i i am in musical chaos, i have my Public Enemy cd's on the shelf with my Nick Drake collection  Very Happy


Listen to Mr Eclectic musical taste.

20Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Tue Jun 15 2021, 10:38

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Natasha Whittam wrote:

Listen to Mr Eclectic musical taste.
I'm more impressed with the fact that he has a shelf. I just keep them in boxes.

21Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Tue Jun 15 2021, 12:12

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I have 4 full CD towers from Ikea and piles of CD's on my book shelves as well. I very rarely listen to them though as i just copy them on to itunes and still use my prehistoric ipod classic  Very Happy

22Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Tue Jun 15 2021, 12:45

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Norpig wrote:I have 4 full CD towers from Ikea and piles of CD's on my book shelves as well. I very rarely listen to them though as i just copy them on to itunes and still use my prehistoric ipod classic  Very Happy
I also have an Ipod classic with just over 100 gb of assorted stuff on it and it's great - much quicker to find what I want than Spotify, no ads and it's free. The only reason they discontinued it was because they realised that owners would never need (aka have to pay for) anything else - ever. Unless it breaks down which most haven't.
Technically speaking the iPod classic is organised alphabetically in e.g artist listings and playlists - but playlists themselves aren't.
My Nick Drake "collection" consists of one song as it's the only one I like (no prizes)

23Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Tue Jun 15 2021, 12:52

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@finlaymcdanger wrote:You’re absolutely right about me. All my vinyl is alphabetized with the exception of The Damned who have their own shelf. I got rid of my cassettes years ago and the alphabetized CDs reside in the basement now as I no longer have anything to play them on.
Nat wasn't suggesting that you organise your stuff alphabetically though.

Nat said that you thought that Nat organised her? stuff alphabetically i.e. it was about Nat attempting to read your mind as regards your opinion of Nat's filing system - as if you had one Smile

24Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Tue Jun 15 2021, 14:35

observer


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
MP3's alphabetical of course.  mp4's are also alphabetical.

25Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Tue Jun 15 2021, 16:34

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
You put me in the right list, Nat.....I like to be able to lay my hands on things quickly (no innuendo intended!) Can't see how people manage life without having some order to it......music, work, diary, books, addresses, notes etc.

Musical taste very varied: rock, folk, pop, classical, blues. jazz....even musical theatre songs.....anything that can move my emotions. Even like some rap. Great lyrics matter to me, so Joni tops my list. Peerless

26Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Tue Jun 15 2021, 17:14

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@okocha wrote:You put me in the right list, Nat.....I like to be able to lay my hands on things quickly (no innuendo intended!) Can't see how people manage life without having some order to it......music, work, diary, books, addresses, notes etc.

You mean the "posters that think Nat has an alphabetical list" list?
What's the relevance of your own habits to that?

I'm pretty sure we did "comprehension" at school Okocha so you've no excuse Smile

27Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Wed Jun 16 2021, 01:46

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
@Norpig wrote:yes i i am in musical chaos, i have my Public Enemy cd's on the shelf with my Nick Drake collection  Very Happy

It can be a bugger trying to find a cd on my rack of shelves but i get there in the end and sometimes i stumble across something i'd forgotten about which is always a bonus.

I do use bandcamp and itunes more now but do still buy the occasional cd.

You have a Nick Drake collection Norpig ?

It's only a couple of days ago you were calling me and Boncey old fogies for listening to the likes of that kind of stuff.  Very Happy

28Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Wed Jun 16 2021, 11:02

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Hip Priest wrote:

You have a Nick Drake collection Norpig ?

It's only a couple of days ago you were calling me and Boncey old fogies for listening to the likes of that kind of stuff.  Very Happy
Time has told him.

29Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Wed Jun 16 2021, 13:33

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@wanderlust wrote:
Time has told him.

30Alphabetical Order Empty Re: Alphabetical Order Wed Jun 16 2021, 13:35

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I like a lot of different genres of music, not as big a fan of the old folkie stuff like Bonce and HP though and i hate prog rock.

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum