Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

EFL Cup: Bolton 0-0 Barnsley (5-4 on penalties after 90 minutes)

+4
Leeds_Trotter
Bolton Nuts
Sluffy
karlypants
8 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Preview: Bolton Wanderers vs. Barnsley

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Wanderers are back in home action at the University of Bolton Stadium this Tuesday evening with a Carabao Cup First Round tie against last season’s Sky Bet Championship Semi-Finalists, Barnsley.

Ian Evatt’s men head into their second home fixture in four days following on from a 3-3 draw against MK Dons on the opening day of the season last weekend. Barnsley opened up their campaign under new manager Markus Schopp with a 1-1 draw at Cardiff City, and the Austrian will be looking to record his first win as Tykes boss.

Pre-match quotes:

Ian Evatt: “We’ll be coming up against a good team. They finished fifth in the Championship last season, so they’ve got some very talented players. They’ve also got a new manager.”

“I’ve watched a lot of their games during pre-season and then their game on Saturday, and they change the way they play quite a lot. Sometimes they’re possession-based and build from the back, and sometimes they’re more direct and play up to the front lads and get runners off them.

“Whatever we come up against, we’ll have to work it out pretty quickly and problem-solve for ourselves out on the pitch. We’ve got to do that and then implement our own game style.”

Team News:

Ian Evatt will likely make changes to the team that drew against MK Dons on Saturday, with a number of players requiring game time to improve their match fitness.

Ricardo Almeida Santos was an unused substitute at the weekend, and Kieran Lee came on for a second-half cameo – the pair of them could slot into the starting eleven. Between the sticks, Matt Gilks got the nod to start in the previous fixture, but Joel Dixon could come into contention this evening.

Ticket News

Supporters will be able to pay on the turnstiles for Wanderers' Carabao Cup Round One fixture against Barnsley on Tuesday 10 August.

Kicking off at 8 pm at the University of Bolton Stadium, admission on the day of the game can be found at the following turnstiles:

Please note that only certain lower tiers of the University of Bolton Stadium will be accepting cash for this fixture to Wanderers supporters.

Nat Lofthouse East Stand Lower - Blocks K and J (for entry to Blocks I and L)

Carrs Pasties North Stand Lower - Block M

Supporters who wish to sit in the Bolton Kia West Stand will be able to buy from the Ticket Office sales windows.

Tickets will be sold on a cash-only basis from 6.45 pm onwards, while prices for the match are as follows:

Adults: £10

Over 65s: £5

Under 18’s: £5

To avoid the queues on matchday the easiest way to purchase will always be online at via the Clubs Ticketing Platform.

Last Time Out

Wanderers last welcomed Barnsley to the University of Bolton Stadium in December 2017 and it was to be a successful afternoon.

Going head to head in the Sky Bet Championship, Wanderers came out on top. Gary Madine opened the scoring after twenty minutes before Tom Bradshaw equalised from the penalty spot a couple of minutes later.

Madine scored a penalty himself before the break to give Phil Parkinson’s side the lead, and Mark Little wrapped up the victory with a second-half strike.

Match Officials:

Referee: David Webb

Assistants: Graeme Fyvie and Joe Simpson

Fourth Official: Paul Marsden

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by karlypants on Tue Aug 10 2021, 23:16; edited 2 times in total

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Bolton Nuts

Admin

A fairly strong line up for this kind of game... Good to see a result against a good championship team.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Radio Nuts is now live!

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Anyone in the portal?

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Still level at half time but rather fortunate it seems so let’s hope our luck holds and we can get a win tonight. Barnsley are a good Championship side so this is a big test for the boys. Come on you White men, don’t let these Yorkshire puddings get the better of us.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Anyone with access to DAZN the game is on DAZN3

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've only just remembered we were playing, still 0-0

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Won on penalties!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Well done whites. Seems like we deserved it too! 5 quality pens apparently too!

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Biggie wrote:Well done whites. Seems like we deserved it too! 5 quality pens apparently too!
And a good save by Dixon as well by all accounts Biggie so cracking performance and result. A cup run this season would be very welcome.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bloody missed most of this as had to pop out.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

What a strange (but very effective) goal the winning penalty was!

I don't think I've ever seen one scored aimed at the top of the goals in the centre (well slightly off centre) before.

I've not seen many scored at the top of the goals in the corners before - even though, in theory at least, it should be physically impossible for a keeper in from a standing start to reach such a shot in time.

I was always taught to hit the side netting at the bottom when I took a penalty for the same reason but keepers are enormous these days and I don't doubt a few could stop them now?

Looks as though Evans has had the players practising taking them.

Well done Bolton!

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Barnsley bossed the first 20 minutes but from then on we matched them, and created better chances, entertaining 90 minutes, No extra time went straight to penalties and we scored all 5, another step forward.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The penalty by Sarcevic was fantastic in the top corner!

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Sluffy wrote:What a strange (but very effective) goal the winning penalty was!

I don't think I've ever seen one scored aimed at the top of the goals in the centre (well slightly off centre) before.

I've not seen many scored at the top of the goals in the corners before - even though, in theory at least, it should be physically impossible for a keeper in from a standing start to reach such a shot in time.

I was always taught to hit the side netting at the bottom when I took a penalty for the same reason but keepers are enormous these days and I don't doubt a few could stop them now?

Well done Bolton!

Surprised at that Sluffy, Franny Lee always used to hit them like that, top corner and as hard as he could and was convinced if he did that, no keeper could save it and I don’t think he ever missed one. Brilliant save by Joel D last night, very strong hand and will do him no end of good.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Whitesince63 wrote:
Sluffy wrote:What a strange (but very effective) goal the winning penalty was!

Well done Bolton!

Surprised at that Sluffy, Franny Lee always used to hit them like that, top corner and as hard as he could and was convinced if he did that, no keeper could save it and I don’t think he ever missed one. Brilliant save by Joel D last night, very strong hand and will do him no end of good.

I think you misread what I wrote 63?

I didn't say I had never seen anyone hit them in the top corner - indeed Sarce did so last night, just that it wasn't that common - you quoting Franny Lee as your example, who retired nearly fifty years ago seems to back up my point about that - what I said was I don't recall anyone hitting them (with pace and not a dinky Panenka type lob) into the top centre(ish) of the goal.

And fwiw (and not wishing to be disparaging), it was a competent save by Dixon (rather than 'brilliant') as the penalty was struck neither too hard and relatively close to his body and as such gave him (or any other keeper) more than a fighting chance of saving it if they had guessed the right way to go.

I'm certainly not belittling Dixon's save merely pointing out that it was more a poor penalty kick from the Barnsley player that gave Dixon the opportunity to save it, rather than an outstanding save from him stopping a cracking penalty kick.

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Why were there proper tv cameras at the match? Was Sky broadcasting it or something?
They had multiple angles and far better coverage than our EFL single camera matches.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It was on a few overseas channels.  I watched it on DAZN

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum