Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Bolton Wanderers Banter » Sturridge and Wiltshire - would you have them back?

Sturridge and Wiltshire - would you have them back?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I know it's very unlikely as they would be on very good money but just to create a bit of debate would anyone take them back on?

Personally if you could get them on pay as you play deals then i would have them back in a heartbeat. There would be less risk on a pay as you play deal and i'm sure even if we got some games out of them they would still be too good for league 1.

On the other hand how would we fit them in to the squad? Is the squad full now?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
I think 'pay as you play' deals are somewhat of a myth, frequently wheeled out by football fans.

I think the reality is that players have a contract which is 'enhanced' by things like appearance bonuses.

The likes of Sturridge and Wiltshire would command more than the likes of we could pay for their basic salary let alone appearances on top of it.

In general though you need to know what motivates these types of players, they have money in the bank, so they wouldn't be here for that, and they have played at the highest level so they would want to still play at the best level they could.

I'm not sure Sturridge and Wiltshire would want to be turning out at say Doncaster in the pouring rain on a Tuesday in November for a third tier club like us.

Very few 'top' players end their days dropping so far down the leagues, so although it might be good to dream some of our ex players would want to put the shirt on again I can't see it happening and I doubt it would turn out to be a success if they did.

Sorry to be a bit of a wet blanket about this.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I'd probably agree to be honest Sluffy, they are both very wealthy now so might not want to bother dropping down the leagues.

I did see that Wiltshire was training with Como on Serie B as he wants to play for an Italian team. They could probably both retire but you never know they might still have the desire to come back and prove people wrong.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
It's a nice idea. A bit like Pele coming to manage us those many years ago. 

Sadly, I don't think this has legs.

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
It won't work without legs.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
No to both on one simple set of grounds. It's incredibly rare for a player or manager to return to a former club and do as well or better than his previous tenure. It's a bit like the "bring back Sam' clamour we hear every now and again when we change manager.

I still rate both Sturridge and Wilshere but I don't believe either one would return now we're in League One and if they did they might not actually play all that well since both are players who need quality around them to perform at their best.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum