Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Elias Kachunga subjected to vile racist abuse on social media

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Elias Kachunga subjected to vile racist abuse on social media 12989294

Wanderers have confirmed that striker Elias Kachunga was subjected to racial abuse on social media earlier this week.

Former Sheffield Wednesday and Huddersfield Town front man Kachunga recently signed for Wanderers on a free transfer and has proved a popular figure with the Bolton fans.

Comments made on Instagram were reported to the club and have since been passed on to police

Ian Evatt has vowed to stand by the 29-year-old and offer him any necessary support as the team prepares for a game at Ipswich on Saturday.

“Following Tuesday night, Elias Kachunga was racially abused on social media,” Evatt said at his pre-match press conference this afternoon.

“I have seen the comments that were made to him myself. He has got our full support and backing and we have reported the issue to the police.

“It is a really serious issue and no player should have to undergo that kind of treatment.

“As a football club I am guessing we will make some sort of statement in the coming days but for now I think you guys should be made aware.

“We will give him our full support because it was vile what he received.”

The incident comes as the Football Association urged social media companies to “step up and take accountability” including taking action to “ban abusers from their platforms”.

That followed the high-profile abuse of three England players – Bukayo Saka, Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho - after the Euros.

Evatt believed the source of the comment from an anonymous account – which has since been deleted – will be tracked down in time.

“We don’t (know who it is) because they hide behind different names and until there is accountability we don’t know any more,” he said.

“All we will say is that it has been reported to the police and they have the function to trace where it has come from, who has done it, names, IP addresses, addresses etc.

“They will catch the culprit and as a group we all stand with Elias.”

Former Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand has also said today that football is "sliding backwards" and that racism is being normalised because of the prevalence of racist abuse online.

Speaking to a joint parliamentary committee seeking possible improvements to the government's draft Online Safety Bill, the former England captain said he had seen family members "disintegrate" after he was abused on social media.

"Self-esteem, your mental health is at risk," Ferdinand added.

Source

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Disgraceful.

Hope they catch and prosecute who has done it.

I know I've had a bee in my bonnet about taking the knee - but I think after a season and a half of doing it, that it proves beyond any doubt that it hasn't stop one single person from being a racist.

That takes education and a change in cultural on social norms in the environment and society they live in.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:
I know I've had a bee in my bonnet about taking the knee - but I think after a season and a half of doing it, that it proves beyond any doubt that it hasn't stop one single person from being a racist.
Without knowing how many racists there were beforehand, you are talking crap again.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:
Sluffy wrote:
Without knowing how many racists there were beforehand, you are talking crap again.

Hahaha

Of course those who have issues with people with Black skins would suddenly stop having issues with people with Black skins because they've seen footballers taking the knee before a game.

Fwiw there is quite an interesting debate on ww about this - non have unfortunately understood that it takes a cultural shift to change peoples attitudes, behaviours and social normsĀ and no matter how good intentioned footballers kneeling might be, it certainly isn't going to be achieving that sort of society change.

Worth noting, also I didn't see it myself, that one poster comments that a black Burton player and a few others did not take the knee at the game.

Clearly then he/they don't believe the gesture is relevant anymore, or they would be partaking too.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I think taking the knee is an excellent gesture but one that is beginning to lose its power. Personally I think it may be time to change it to something else BUT under no circumstances should the effort to promote racial equality and harmony by some visible means come to an end.

I completely agree that whomever posted the abuse suffered by Elias should be caught and prosecuted to the full extent of the law but that alone will not solve the problem. The effort to overcome bigotry will be a long, multi-faceted struggle that must begin with education and continue throughout all facets of life. It won't be easy, it certainly won't be done in my lifetime but it MUST continue and we must one day reach the point where genuine, lasting success has been acheived.

With that said we should also remember just how far we've come. It's all too easy to say things are still wrong because they are but we should acknowledge that they used to be far worse. We're making progress and while there's still a lot to do we should be proud of what has already been accomplished. The older posters among us probably still remember the abuse black players used to get and the furore around Viv Anderson's selection for England. I believe Cyril Regis was even sent a bullet through the post and told he'd be murdered if he actually turned out for England. Of course he did play and like Anderson and all the others that followed them they honoured the shirt and the nation with their dignity and poise.

So yes, it's a problem but it's one we ARE solving albeit a lot more slowly than many of us myself included would like. However I still believe we will get there in the end.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum