Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dean Holdsworth's honorary degree at Unibol

4 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Who recommended it, for what reason and who approved it? Lets have a heated debate -  for Boncey.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Oh I do miss her.

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:Oh I do miss her.
So do I, Boncey, but what first attracted you to the claim that the deserving, dedicated and dyed-in-the wool Deano spent the best part of a million quid on legal fees?

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
So do I, Boncey, but what first attracted you to the claim that the deserving, dedicated and dyed-in-the wool Deano spent the best part of a million quid on legal fees?
Troublemaker! Stop lookin' at me. I aint done nuffin.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Ten Bobsworth wrote:Who recommended it, for what reason and who approved it? Lets have a heated debate -  for Boncey.

Fwiw it is Unibol's Honorary Awards Committee - see p14 out of 23 in the link below.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

At first glance the gift seems to be in the hands of the President and Vice Chancellor of the University.

The current President AND Vice Chancellor is Professor George E Holmes DL

Wiki tells us this about him -

Holmes owns two Bentleys and a yacht.[1] He attended the controversial male-only President's Club fundraiser in London in 2018, where women 'hostesses' were auctioned, and tried to claim this was a 'business meeting'

His fellow governors have recently awarded him a pay increase to a jaw dropping £332,322 per year!!!

No wonder he can afford two Bentley's and a yacht!

He's also on the board at Bolton College and this is a part of his bio from there -

Professor Holmes was, for six years until 2014, on the Board of the Octagon Theatre, Bolton, and was formerly on the Board of the Bolton Lads and Girls Club.  He was formerly a Governor of Bolton School, Bolton Wanderers Free School, and the ESSA Academy Trust. He is a founding Trustee of the Bolton University Technical College.

In 2015, Professor Holmes was appointed by Her Majesty's Lord Lieutenant of the County of Greater Manchester as one of his Deputy Lieutenants.

...and finally these little titbits may or may not interest you...

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Thanks Sluffy. All very interesting! I knew bits of this after reading about the Presidents Club shindig in the media. Suffice to say I always suspected there might be more to it all.

Wouldn't it be interesting to see what records exist of Deano's nomination and approval? Could it be that he has talents that we might have overlooked?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Ten Bobsworth wrote:Thanks Sluffy. All very interesting! I knew bits of this after reading about the Presidents Club shindig in the media. Suffice to say I always suspected there might be more to it all.

Wouldn't it be interesting to see what records exist of Deano's nomination and approval? Could it be that he has talents that we might have overlooked?

You're welcome Bob.

I did find other stuff about Holmes that casts him in a very dim light in respect of his previous years at Doncaster and more about his houses (plural) and much more!

One of the comments I read (from a disgruntled staff member or presumably ex-staff member) of his, is that there is no one he, or the university itself, is accountable to.

I don't know how true that is but it does seem to back up why many universities pay their heads jaw dropping amounts of money.

Something rotten in the state of Denmark it appears to me.

Still innocent until proved guilty and all that.

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:
Troublemaker! Stop lookin' at me. I aint done nuffin.
Ain't done nuffin? You was lookin'!

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
Ain't done nuffin? You was lookin'!
But socially distanced.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:Who recommended it, for what reason and who approved it? Lets have a heated debate

Get any more responses and you can have a mass debate Bob.

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

According to the Beeno, it was for his 'outstanding contribution to sport'.

Any offers on who came up with that one?

No comment from FIBS that I can see.

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I still think Unibol sounds like toilet disinfectant but of all the players to represent BWFC in the last 25 years, how come Unibol chose Holdsworth for an honorary doctorate this year? It may speak volumes of Unibol but there still has to be a reason.

Thinking about Deano's previous PFA tenure, I came across quite a few articles about Gordon Taylor and PFA pension funds. Here's one:

A few years ago Taylor was complaining about certain individuals seeking information from the PFA about retired players pension funds. Taylor didn't like it. I didn't like the sound of it either tbf.

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Not long after being awarded his honorary doctorate by UNIBOL, Deano formed another one pound company that he decided to call Dubai Citi Group Limited.

It reminded me of Jack and Vera putting the name plate 'The Old Rectory' on their recently stone-clad house in Coronation Street.

Could it be that Deano has a GSOH?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum