Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Isn't it racist to have the Black Music Awards?

+2
boltonbonce
Norpig
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Bolton Nuts

Admin

What are your thoughts about on this rising trend? 
I've noticed business funding for black people. Business certification so that black business owners can certify and be chosen/supported over other businesses, based on their skin colour, black music awards and the rule that at least one black manager has to be interviewed for every football league management position.

I would love to hear some thoughts... 

Black business certification
https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/386610

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Isn't it racist to have the Black Music Awards?  200.gif?cid=a87a70e6lt4kr7w8benae6bp879h0zuccjk95916zb875uds&rid=200

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You may want to try something less controversial next time Biggie  Very Happy

My own view is that it's not racist to have Black music awards or any of the other things mentioned, the question should be why do black people even need to feel that they have to do these kind of things in the first place? Why should it matter what colour your skin is, we are all the same and should be treated equally.

Isn't it racist to have the Black Music Awards?  200.gif?cid=a87a70e6s2w0bdjcacg2viecxq9u01ao9818hxip3vg1lvkv&rid=200

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The MOBO awards are for music of black origin. No problem with that. Musicians have always borrowed from different cultures.
Elvis and the Rolling Stones stole a living off black music. :bomb:

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:You may want to try something less controversial next time Biggie  Very Happy

My own view is that it's not racist to have Black music awards or any of the other things mentioned, the question should be why do black people even need to feel that they have to do these kind of things in the first place? Why should it matter what colour your skin is, we are all the same and should be treated equally.

That would be racial discrimination.

Imagine the outcry if we did such things for white people only these days!

Fwiw - and I assume Biggie is think of this - the MOBO Awards (as Bonce points out) is the Music Of Black Origin (such as jazz and rap, etc) so it is actually open to non black musicians as well (who play jazz and rap etc) - and so isn't racist at all.

The bottom line we should treat each other equally irrespective of skin colour, race, religion, sex, sexual identity, whether they are fat, thin, skinny, tall, ginger, etc, etc, etc - but the truth is we don't and are still miles from even getting close to that.

Christ I'm even attacked on here because people somehow believe I'm some sort of Tory, or lean to the right politically - I don't fwiw - but I merely use it as an example of bias and prejudice people have (even unknowingly).

The trouble is evolution hasn't made us to be equal and we are hardwired for survival of the fittest - hasn't huge numbers of people proven that to you in respect of their behaviour during Covid - how many have knowingly flouted the most basic of the rules and couldn't give a toss for the old or vulnerable in the community?

It is what it is.

Society (ours at least) will move towards a reduction of racism but will never eliminate totally.

Afghanistan has just taken a huge step backwards in terms of equality - women really are just there to be bred and look after the home and kids under the Taliban.

That is the world we live in - and we are in the twenty-first century!

How many more century's need to pass before everyone is treated equally???

Quite a few I reckon.

That's the reality and timescales.

Anyone really think footballers taking the knee for BLM are achieving anything at all?

I don't - and they need to follow Alonso and ditch the BLM baggage (that some/many perceive is attached to it) if they really want to end the constant  booing of it - as it seems to me now simply about the two sides having a battle of wills, with the real message lost amid the arguments and symbolisms.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Speaking of black music, why has Samuel Coleridge-Taylor been largely forgotten?

Dead at 37, he, and his music, deserve to be remembered.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Samuel_Coleridge-Taylor

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Please don't forget the yellow people.

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Norpig wrote:... , the question should be why do black people even need to feel that they have to do these kind of things in the first place? 

Isn't it racist to have the Black Music Awards?  200.gif?cid=a87a70e6s2w0bdjcacg2viecxq9u01ao9818hxip3vg1lvkv&rid=200

This is an award that says. Any music is eligible (oh but only if it originated in black culture). Can you imagine if there was an award for "any music" , (but only if it came from a white culture)?

Wait wait wait... 
If a white supremacist said. 
I'm making an award for the best white person. Would you say he was allowed to because "you have to ask yourself why the poor white guy feels he needs to do this in the first place?" 

Let's say that an award was created for the best dog originating from white dog breeders. 
Or the best painting taking inspiration from white painters only? 

The point is. The mobo awards are choosing to single out "black" by culture / colour as eligible for award. Which in turn means that any music originating from another culture necessarily doesn't qualify to be recognised for an award based on its colour/culture of origin. That is plain and simply discriminating based on ethnicity/colour.

Just to make it simpler. 
Let's say there is an award for new film directors. Black or white film directors are eligible. But the award only goes to those directors whose movies are inspired by white movie directors. 

To say that you can have an award based on music of black origin doesnt make it not racist, just because it is the origin and not the award recipient we are taking about.

This is an award that says. Any music is eligible (oh but only if it originated in black culture). Can you imagine if there was an award for "any music" , (but only if it came from a white culture)?

Bolton Nuts

Admin

There is also the black actors guild, a platform for artists of colour.

Could you have the white actors guild?

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Biggie wrote:There is also the black actors guild, a platform for artists of colour.

Could you have the white actors guild?
You already have a white actors guild. Hollywood.

Black actors have had to fight tooth and claw to get any part other than a caricature. They had to put up with this blackface garbage for years. Still shocking.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Biggie all the music you probably listen to originated in black culture, we wouldn't have rock n roll without the blues happening and music the African slaves brought with them.

As for the MOBO's it doesn't discriminate against people who aren't black, it just concentrates on music based in black culture. Do you want to stop the Country music awards or folk music awards as well as they will be mainly aimed at a white audience and musicians? You can't have it both ways.

Bolton Nuts

Admin

You are both missing the point. 
Its irrelevant what music I usually listen to. 
It doesn't matter that most county music is of white origin. It also doesn't matter that black people had to fight tooth and nail for something. 
It doesn't make any difference that Hollywood might be perceived as white dominated. 
Surely you can see that? 

Are you saying that Hollywood would be OK to change its name to The land of the White people?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm yet to see what point you're trying to make Biggie to be honest.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What about the Irish music awards, the NRJ French music awards, the MADVMA Greek music awards etc etc etc?
I reckon the Latin Music Awards are a bit dodgy though. None of them even sing in Latin.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm green. Let my people go.

https://www.greenawards.ie/

Bolton Nuts

Admin

My point here is that rather than make things better, it only continues the effect of dividing life up into racial lines.

You argued that black people have had to fight tooth and nail to get on an equal footing/or that they need these things to be able to reach an equal footing. Would you say that once they reach an equal footing they should no longer be allowed the black actors guild, for example?

I personally believe that mainsail boundaries will crumble in time. 

It will seem outdated to do the national anthem of the winning driver in F1. Then football will follow.
Then, before long, we will realise that countries competing against each other in the Olympics was actually an antiquated idea. Our grandchildren will think we we were living in some kind of stone age when they learn that we used to watch football teams playing divided by country (I. E England vs Spain).

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Biggie wrote:
It will seem outdated to do the national anthem of the winning driver in F1. Then football will follow.
Then, before long, we will realise that countries competing against each other in the Olympics was actually an antiquated idea. Our grandchildren will think we we were living in some kind of stone age when they learn that we used to watch football teams playing divided by country (I. E England vs Spain).
 I just cant see this happening, people will always still have pride competing or playing for their country.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:
 I just cant see this happening, people will always still have pride competing or playing for their country.
I had a dust up last week when the bloke at my local shop insisted Bolton wasn't in Lancashire. The hell with Greater Manchester. Neutral

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Norpig wrote:
Biggie wrote:
Time will tell... White people said that about slaves once.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum