Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OFFICIAL - All bets are off at the Unibol!

+2
karlypants
Sluffy
6 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Wanderers Cut Betting Links
Club to stop betting promotion and partnerships and help addiction bodies

Bolton Wanderers will no longer provide any on-site betting provision at the University of Bolton Stadium or enter into any new commercial partnerships and sponsorships with firms representing the gambling industry.

While the club will be respectful of the EFL’s commercial partnerships and that of other clubs, our position regarding betting provision and betting sponsorship is now clear.

Instead, the club will be looking to support charities and organisations that seek to provide help for those suffering from betting addiction.

Chairman Sharon Brittan said: “Problem gambling ruins lives and we’ve taken this stance to show our support for those who are suffering from a betting addiction.

“Latest research shows that there are between 340,000 and 1.4 million adult gambling addicts in the UK and over 60,000 young people aged between 11 and 16 are addicted.

“We as an industry must do more and through our work with Bolton Wanderers in the Community, Bolton Wanderers Football Club will support outreach programmes for those who experience gambling problems.”

Bolton Wanderers CEO, Neil Hart, added: “We recognise that some people do want to bet and also that the league has a commercial partnership with a gambling company in place - and we are respectful of this.

"However, we will not take part in any activity to promote gambling outside the existing EFL contractual requirements.

“This means that we will not provide match day betting kiosks or enter into any new agreements with gambling companies.

“In the spirit of transparency the club does operate a club lottery which allows supporters to take part on a match-by-match or monthly basis with all this fundraising income supporting club-related good causes and supporter engagement projects. We will continue to provide this support for our local community and our amazing supporters.

“As a club which is at the heart of our community, we want to support those who are suffering as a consequence of gambling addiction.”

Further Community Engagement Information:

In partnership with Bolton Council, Bolton Wanderers in the Community are launching their Team Talk project, a mental health project designed to provide a ‘safe space’ to talk for men.

Team Talk will be delivered within community settings and aims to provide a support network for anyone who may be in need of additional support. It is open to men aged 18+ and will enable them to have conversations around mental health and wellbeing including coping mechanisms, peer to peer support, recognising triggers in an informal and relaxed setting and often able to connect through a common interest in football and Bolton Wanderers.

Gambling addictions can affect individuals’ mental health, causing low self-esteem, stress, anxiety and depression. There’s also a strong link between gambling problems and thoughts of suicide. If you have a mental health problem, you’re more at risk of harmful gambling.

For anyone who is interested in the project please contact Carl Halliwell (challwell@bwitc.org.uk) or call Bolton Wanderers in the Community (01204 673 790).

Bolton Wanderers FC and Bolton Wanderers in the Community have also partnered with Bolton based charity Whysup who raise awareness on addiction and mental health. They deliver prevention, awareness presentations and workshops across education, business and sport.

Alongside prevention and awareness, they also provide support to those in need through their community & support provision. Here, they offer a safe space where people can reach out for help and support.

Whysup Co-Director Mark Murray said “We are delighted to be working in partnership with our hometown club, on what is a very important issue. I know first-hand the impact that gambling related harm can have on a person’s wellbeing.

"I suffered from a gambling addiction for 13 years and have had to work hard to turn my life around. Reaching out and asking for help can be a huge step and a lifesaving one."

If you’re struggling, you can book in a support call with Whysup or seek further advice through their website – [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

For further support with gambling addiction, please also visit [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I wonder what brought this on now???

If Sharon was against betting she would have ended this two years ago, or even in the summer - so why now?

There's probably some contracts that she will have to settle to terminate too I wouldn't wonder.

My initial thought is that there is something going on in the background with a Muslim investor/partner/purchaser?

Maybe it is something to do with the interest that was shown sometime back by the owners of 'Pretty Little Thing' (or whatever it is called)?

I checked to see what Iles might be saying on Twitter about this - as usual he's missed the story so far!

You've got to laugh at him at times - well I do!

Last edited by Sluffy on Thu Sep 23 2021, 21:35; edited 1 time in total

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Has this got anything to do with the ban of gambling sponsorships on football shirts?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

karlypants wrote:Has this got anything to do with the ban of gambling sponsorships on football shirts?

Sorry, I've just edited my post to give the full 'official' story and the club will still honour the EFL's sponsors such as Sky Bet.

I wonder what will happen when we play a home game against a team with shirt sponsors of gambling firms?

The timing of this just seems so odd to me - clearly to my mind somethings happened for it to be done mid-season - and over two years since Sharon has been here - this could have been dealt with pre-season easily - so why now - especially as there must be contracts that have to be broken and compensated?

I guess we will find out in due course?

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

They’re not breaking contracts as this is only for any new ones

“…enter into any new commercial partnerships and sponsorships with firms representing the gambling industry.”

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

BoltonTillIDie wrote:They’re not breaking contracts as this is only for any new ones

“…enter into any new commercial partnerships and sponsorships with firms representing the gambling industry.”

No.

That's not what is said -

Bolton Wanderers will no longer provide any on-site betting provision at the University of Bolton Stadium or enter into any new commercial partnerships and sponsorships with firms representing the gambling industry.

Tbh I've no idea if they are breaking (early termination is what I should be terming it really) any contracts, for all I know the contract term might have just expired and was due for renewal but it seems more likely to me that the contract term would have run throughout the football season and not part way into it.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Just a thought...

If Sharon is doing this for the reasons stated above, then why not ban alcohol in the stadium as well?

There's plenty of people addicted to drink - far more than gambling I would think.

I'm just intrigued to know what triggered the betting ban, something must have?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:Just a thought...

If Sharon is doing this for the reasons stated above, then why not ban alcohol in the stadium as well?

There's plenty of people addicted to drink - far more than gambling I would think.

Because alcohol sales probably make up a good chunk of matchday income so that will never happen

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:
Sluffy wrote:Just a thought...

Because alcohol sales probably make up a good chunk of matchday income so that will never happen

I think you missed my point.

According to the club a 'betting' ban has been imposed for moral reasons - namely because people become addicted to it.

Why then haven't they taken a moral stand in respect of alcohol and alcoholism, which I believe effects more people?

Fwiw my cousins husband died of alcoholism and I know someone who lost his home (and his wife and two kids home as well) due to gambling debts.

I kind of think that it's a bit of a rare event for me to know someone effected, let alone two people (and the effects it had on their family's) - but maybe it is a bit more common out there than I imagine?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Perhaps someone within their family has been affected? I can imagine the club made nothing out of the little betting booth in the East stand so it will be no great loss to them and its good PR for the club if nothing else.

I still stand by my point about alcohol, the club are hardly likely to ban alcohol at the ground as that would be a big loss in earnings and not popular with the fans.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:Perhaps someone within their family has been affected? I can imagine the club made nothing out of the little betting booth in the East stand so it will be no great loss to them and its good PR for the club if nothing else.

I still stand by my point about alcohol, the club are hardly likely to ban alcohol at the ground as that would be a big loss in earnings and not popular with the fans.

Yes I fully agree with you about drinks bringing in much needed money to the club, I've no argument about that.

What I'm saying is that the club seems to be wanting to take some kind of moral high-ground about addiction (and mental health issues if you read further into their statement) but completely ignores alcohol - and alcoholism/addiction?

I don't get it?

Are they saying we will take a moral stand as long as it doesn't cost us any money - if so it isn't really much of a moral stand at all then, is it?

And why now with the betting?

Why not before the season started, or after it ends?

All seems rather odd to me?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Mental health and gambling are in the news a lot at the moment so it does give them brownie points without it really affecting anyone. 

Until alcohol and alcoholism gets it's turn as cause of the week then i can't see anything changing. Imagine the crowd at the Unibol without beer as well  Very Happy

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Why not ban food to stop obesity too Smile

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:Mental health and gambling are in the news a lot at the moment so it does give them brownie points without it really affecting anyone. 

Until alcohol and alcoholism gets it's turn as cause of the week then i can't see anything changing. Imagine the crowd at the Unibol without beer as well  Very Happy

Again I don't disagree with you but it still isn't the point I'm making which is about these so called morals of the club it is portraying over the ban.

It's a bit like someone saying they are a 'bit pregnant' - you are either pregnant or you are not - either the club has morals or they don't - they can't pick and choose on a subject by subject matter - well they can but it makes a mockery of them claiming to fight addiction by removing one temptation at the stadium and keeping a larger temptation (in terms of addicts) in alcohol.

Bolton Nuts

Admin

My take is that no business really makes changes purely as a moral stance. 

Look at all the companies going green, offering recyclable packaging, lower carbon footprint, etc etc. They only usually make these changes when people start to vote with their feet. They ultimately go green because not doing affects the bottom line.

My suspicion is that the same story will lurk somewere behind this. Unless, they took a moral stance, knowing that it really didn't affect the bottom line.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton Wanderers chief executive on the club's decision to cut betting ties

Wanderers chief executive Neil Hart has opened up about the club’s decision to cut links with betting companies.

The Whites will no longer provide any on-site betting at the UniBol or enter into any new commercial partnerships with betting firms.

They have instead pledged to support charities and organisations which help those suffering from gambling addiction.

"Bolton want to win on the pitch, but alongside that is doing the right thing," Hart told BBC Sport.

"We just felt, with the saturation of betting advertising around football, we didn't need to be part of that.

"We are not saying to supporters don't bet, but we aren't going to provide you with that opportunity within the stadium and it's something we believed in.

"The early indication is it's been received very positively and our supporters are very much aligned with us."

Hart - who joined Wanderers over the summer - says he supports a ban on gambling adverts in football and insists other clubs could survive without them.

He added: "Bolton was in a desperate state two years ago - Sharon (Brittan) and Football Ventures saved it from extinction and have guided it though the pandemic on the back of trying to exit administration.

"Now there is a new approach where we are trying to do things a bit differently, with transparency, honesty and openness.

"I know what is out there for Bolton Wanderers in that commercial space and we are going to work very hard to bring in the right partners for us that provide longevity and good levels of revenue as well.

"We don't need to talk to betting companies to do that."

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I saw the original comments on the BBC website yesterday and for some reason Iles has missed out the most interesting bits???

For instance -

Bolton Wanderers cut links to betting because the club "didn't need to be part" of a market where adverts are "rammed down our throats", says chief executive Neil Hart.

and...

He also supports a potential ban on gambling advertising in football and believes that club's the decision - inspired by Brittan - would put the Bolton "ahead of the curve" if there were any changes to the law.

Funny phrase for him to have used I thought 'inspired'???

What's that supposed to mean?

As I've said, this could have been done at the start of the season - why wait for a month or so into it?

Why hasn't Iles used these quotes in his article being as they are already in the public domain?

Link to BBC interview here if anybody wants to view it -

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Peterborough United owner Darragh MacAnthony has written off Wanderers’ decision to sever all links with gambling companies as “virtue signalling”.

Speaking on his podcast, The Hard Truth, the Posh chief maintained that cash from betting firms remains an important part of football’s economy.

Football Ventures announced last week that all gambling kiosks and sponsor boards for betting companies would be removed from the University of Bolton Stadium.

Chief executive, Neil Hart, said the move was about “doing the right thing” adding: “We just felt, with the saturation of betting advertising around football, we didn’t need to be a part of that.

“We are not saying to supporters don't bet, but we aren't going to provide you with that opportunity within the stadium and it's something we believed in.

“The early indication is its been received very positively and our supporters are very much aligned with us.”

MacAnthony was asked what he made of the stance taken by Wanderers.

“Do you want my truthful answer? I don’t do virtue signalling,” he said.

“I’d have respected the decision more if when they were in administration and they owed loads of people money and hadn’t paid players’ wages, they came out and made that decision then and said ‘do you know what, this is the way forward for the club, this is what we are going to do’.

“Listen, each to their own, I can’t be over-critical because I can’t criticise how other people run their club, and they have done a great job at Bolton since they have gone in there, brought them back from League Two to League One, got a really well put together football team, they have got a really good manager. I don’t know how they are doing financially, but I presume they are doing OK and they are obviously servicing all the commitments they took over after the mess that came before.

“But I am not a fan of all of that. We live in a world where – and this isn’t a dig at Bolton – but they want to take things away from you. They want to take your freedom of choice away and I see the press go on about it ‘gambling this, gambling that, we shouldn’t be doing this, we shouldn’t be doing that.’ “SkyBet are like the biggest sponsor in our league and it is not illegal to gamble. I get what they are saying and that it causes addiction and people lose their livelihoods, but they all have a choice, I have a choice to take a drink, not take a drink, and I have an addictive personality. Do I gamble? Not overly because I know my own personality and if I did it too much I’d be in too deep. Drink too much, I’m going to drink too much. So I choose to move away – I don’t blame sports for throwing it on TV. I don’t blame the Superbowl every time a Budweiser advert comes on. I take ownership for my decision.

“For everyone out there to virtue signal and say ‘it’s the right thing to do’ and we shouldn’t have sponsors with the Devil, i.e. betting companies, I have said before I don’t care if it’s a d***o company that gives me £20million a year for the naming rights on our stadium, at the end of the day my job is to make sure the lights are on at my football ground and can pay my staff. In this horrible financial time for football clubs we need the income necessary to keep going. That is my responsibility to our fans.

“Some will say my responsibility to fans is to make sure they don’t get addicted to gambling but no, I run a business. I don’t run a charity or a foundation, that’s separate from football.

“I run a business which is based on income, turnover and expenditure and if some legal company wants to give us copious amounts of money to help us improve our facilities and put more money into our community, improve everything about us as a football club and a city, I am going to take the money.

“And I know that is not going to sound popular and all these journalists who go on and on about it and that I sound like the Devil even saying that; well, you don’t own a football club, you don’t know what you are f*****g talking about, you just write about it.

“You do you and I’ll do me. If that is what Bolton want to do then fair f*****g play.”

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Darragh MacAnthony wrote:“For everyone out there to virtue signal and say ‘it’s the right thing to do’ and we shouldn’t have sponsors with the Devil, i.e. betting companies, I have said before I don’t care if it’s a d***o company that gives me £20million a year for the naming rights on our stadium, at the end of the day my job is to make sure the lights are on at my football ground and can pay my staff. In this horrible financial time for football clubs we need the income necessary to keep going. That is my responsibility to our fans."

TBF Rampant Rabbit Stadium is somewhat catchier than Weston Homes.

Bolton Nuts

Admin

wanderlust wrote:
Darragh MacAnthony wrote:“For everyone out there to virtue signal and say ‘it’s the right thing to do’ and we shouldn’t have sponsors with the Devil, i.e. betting companies, I have said before I don’t care if it’s a d***o company that gives me £20million a year for the naming rights on our stadium, at the end of the day my job is to make sure the lights are on at my football ground and can pay my staff. In this horrible financial time for football clubs we need the income necessary to keep going. That is my responsibility to our fans."

TBF Rampant Rabbit Stadium is somewhat catchier than Weston Homes.

He sounds like a right dildo. 
Maybe he should sponsor himself.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum