Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Bolton Wanderers Banter » Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton

Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton

+9
Sluffy
boltonbonce
wessy
karlypants
finlaymcdanger
Whitesince63
Natasha Whittam
Norpig
wanderlust
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton Sun Oct 10 2021, 02:42

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

*Kachunga is pointless

22Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton Sun Oct 10 2021, 10:34

Guest


Guest

Frustrating day; we were the better team but (Doyle) didn’t take two glorious chances at the start of each half - and we conceded a sloppy goal. 

Dapo seems to be getting decent reviews in the press I’ve read but, by his very high standards, I thought he was poor with his final ball and if he’s not on it we struggle - also thought Sarc was anonymous - I like him a lot but do wonder if a more dynamic number 10 could be what we’re missing.

Having said all that the fact we’re going to Wednesday, dominating possession and disappointed not to win shows how strong we are at the moment, feels like once a couple of things slot into place we’ll be a force in this league.

23Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton Sun Oct 10 2021, 14:25

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Evatt calling out the ref is becoming a bit of a joke after every defeat, how about leaving Doyle on the bench, because it's like playing with 10 men at the moment, what we'd give for an ALF at the minute, Evatt's biggest mistake to date is not signing a proven striker, and I like Evatt but he seems very arrogant and stubborn.

24Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton Sun Oct 10 2021, 14:52

Guest


Guest

Nonsense to say Doyle is like playing with 10 men. He does plenty as the lone front man in closing down and linking play for others. He desperately needs a goal and maybe it is time to give Baka a start but you can’t just write him off entirely.

25Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton Mon Oct 11 2021, 10:09

Whitesince63


Andy Walker
Andy Walker

MartinBWFC wrote:Evatt calling out the ref is becoming a bit of a joke after every defeat, how about leaving Doyle on the bench, because it's like playing with 10 men at the moment, what we'd give for an ALF at the minute, Evatt's biggest mistake to date is not signing a proven striker, and I like Evatt but he seems very arrogant and stubborn.

I don’t agree with the ten men bit on Doyle Martin but it’s clear we do need a quality striker. Unfortunately, there are limits on what we can and will pay and that obviously means proven players like Charlie Wyke say, won’t be coming here. It’s also never easy to get a good player in January so I’m assuming a loan at best will be IE’s option but can anybody actually name someone who may possibly fit the bill because I can’t? I think many suggested Stockton in August who’s flying at the moment but it didn’t happen. I can’t think that one’s a money issue so maybe he didn’t fit Evatt’s profile for the team, so who do we know that does?

26Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton Mon Oct 11 2021, 12:11

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

We are not scoring at the moment - so blame the striker.

Nope ---- tweak the system to provide better chances - move the ball faster etc.

Every team is looking for quality strikers - if there are any we can't afford them anyway.
If Ian could stop being pig headed and tweak and rotate players a little I think we would almost be unplayable as shown so far in most games. That might be his in-experience showing - I dunno.

27Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton Mon Oct 11 2021, 12:15

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just some poor decision making on Saturday, the most glaring when we were three on one, and the ball went left, when Lee was in on goal had it gone right.
I'm not throwing him under the bus just yet.

28Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton Mon Oct 11 2021, 13:24

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Whitesince63 wrote:can anybody actually name someone who may possibly fit the bill

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

29Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton Mon Oct 11 2021, 13:50

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

30Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton Mon Oct 11 2021, 14:16

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

boltonbonce wrote:Just some poor decision making on Saturday, the most glaring when we were three on one, and the ball went left, when Lee was in on goal had it gone right.
I'm not throwing him under the bus just yet.
Yep, that was the most glaring of the bad decisions. We have to create more clear cut chances instead of criticizing players for not taking the half chances.

31Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton Mon Oct 11 2021, 14:19

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Its strange as we either score 4 or 5 or none at all so when we do score 4 or 5 whats different? Its the same players so they must be getting it right in games against Ipswich for example.

We do seem to have a tendency to want to walk it in the net instead of shooting more which is frustrating.

32Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton Mon Oct 11 2021, 15:07

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:Its strange as we either score 4 or 5 or none at all so when we do score 4 or 5 whats different? Its the same players so they must be getting it right in games against Ipswich for example.

We do seem to have a tendency to want to walk it in the net instead of shooting more which is frustrating.

Maybe I'm just imagining this but haven't most of our goals come from shots from outside the penalty area?

I remember Allardyce once telling players NOT to shoot from outside the box as percentage wise it was a bad return on being successful.

I think our problem is simply that we don't have the speed in our game to get the ball in to dangerous areas before their defence can get back and defend.

Seems we are ok in open games but when teams park the bus we simply don't have the speed or guile to unlock their defence and thus why we seem to score (or it seems like that to me?) by shots from outside the box.

I'm also baffled that considering we have so many tall men in our side that we don't seem to score many headers?

I would have thought that was something we would work on at corners and free kicks?  Just think of how many goals Wheater and Beevers scored in this division a few years back for instance?

I'm not having a dig at Evatt but I recall him saying something about there being no point putting in crosses as all the other teams have big blokes and know how to deal with them - then goes out and signs Bakayoko to be such a target man to give us something different?

If he brings Bakayoko on to win headers as a sub to win headers late on in the game, then why not push Santos and/or MJ up for corners and free kicks sometimes, simply to mix things up from time to time, during the game?

Maybe he does, maybe I'm not seeing it but the fact remains that players like Santos and MJ - players with great height - don't seem to get on the scoresheet much if at all?

Yes I know if you push Santos and/or MJ forward then somebody needs to cover for them but you plan for that in training.

I still don't know why he didn't bring in another forward when the window was open and we knew we had players injured and decided to go with a vacant place in the squad?

Yes I know money and player availability comes into it but we are supposed to have already identified all these targets and if he really wanted another striker then I think Sharon would have backed him moneywise.

We can't complain really, it is what it is, we are doing ok and seem for the moment to be a top half of the table team - and play attractive football - not at all bad considering what we've had to endure for the last half dozen years or so!

33Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton Mon Oct 11 2021, 16:10

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We have scored quite a few from outside the box, mainly from Dapo but we do tend to overplay in the last third. Don't get me started on corners, we never score from them and it is annoying considering we have the likes of Santos and Williams in the team.

34Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Bolton Mon Oct 11 2021, 16:34

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Sluffy wrote:

Maybe I'm just imagining this but haven't most of our goals come from shots from outside the penalty area?

I remember Allardyce once telling players NOT to shoot from outside the box as percentage wise it was a bad return on being successful.

I think our problem is simply that we don't have the speed in our game to get the ball in to dangerous areas before their defence can get back and defend.

Seems we are ok in open games but when teams park the bus we simply don't have the speed or guile to unlock their defence and thus why we seem to score (or it seems like that to me?) by shots from outside the box.

I'm also baffled that considering we have so many tall men in our side that we don't seem to score many headers?

I would have thought that was something we would work on at corners and free kicks?  Just think of how many goals Wheater and Beevers scored in this division a few years back for instance?

I'm not having a dig at Evatt but I recall him saying something about there being no point putting in crosses as all the other teams have big blokes and know how to deal with them - then goes out and signs Bakayoko to be such a target man to give us something different?

If he brings Bakayoko on to win headers as a sub to win headers late on in the game, then why not push Santos and/or MJ up for corners and free kicks sometimes, simply to mix things up from time to time, during the game?

Maybe he does, maybe I'm not seeing it but the fact remains that players like Santos and MJ - players with great height - don't seem to get on the scoresheet much if at all?

Yes I know if you push Santos and/or MJ forward then somebody needs to cover for them but you plan for that in training.

I still don't know why he didn't bring in another forward when the window was open and we knew we had players injured and decided to go with a vacant place in the squad?

Yes I know money and player availability comes into it but we are supposed to have already identified all these targets and if he really wanted another striker then I think Sharon would have backed him moneywise.

We can't complain really, it is what it is, we are doing ok and seem for the moment to be a top half of the table team - and play attractive football - not at all bad considering what we've had to endure for the last half dozen years or so!

I’m convinced he has the players studying how Manchester City play every day. He’s Pep obsessed and wholly believes that’s how the game should be played regardless of having to do it with L1/2 level players instead of world beaters. Doyle is no Aguero. Sarce is no Villa. We’ll need to be patient.

Sponsored content



Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum