Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

'I have let my team down' - Evatt makes admission after Plymouth loss

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

'I have let my team down' - Evatt makes admission after Plymouth loss 13119376

Ian Evatt held up his hands and admitted he had “let down” his team after a suspension left him stranded in the stands in last night’s defeat at Plymouth.

The Wanderers boss had to sit in the directors’ box after picking up a fourth yellow card of the season at the weekend.

Goals from Brendan Galloway, Conor Grant and Ryan Broom gave the Pilgrims a comprehensive-looking victory at Home Park but Evatt felt some of his side’s poor decision making played into the home team’s hands.

“I have let my team down tonight because I wasn’t able to be on the side to help them,” he said after the game. “It was really frustrating and something I need to improve on.

“Sitting among the home fans is not ideal for me either, to be honest, I don’t want to do that again. Lesson learned.”

The rain and wind made conditions difficult for free-flowing football in the manner Wanderers would normally try to play. Evatt was unhappy with the fact his players did not identify the need to go more direct as the surface became more waterlogged.

“It was farcical but what is frustrating from my perspective is that we are still trying to play short on a pitch where the ball isn’t rolling.

“I can’t think for the life of me how we are not communicating or recognising that. It is down to naivety.

“It has been a tough 10 days of difficult results and performances but we will stick together and we will be fine.

“The players are gutted – they are arguing and fighting, not literally, but they are disappointed with what has happened.

“But as we just said to them, it is at times like this that we have to pull together and do the right things. We have done some there but not enough to get a result against a side that is top of the table.”

Wanderers have failed to score in seven of their last 10 games and though they got into some good positions at Plymouth, they failed to work keeper Michael Cooper seriously all evening.

“You have to remember the conditions, and they were appalling first half for us, second half for them. The difference being they scored with two set plays but, yet again, we had chances and didn’t take them,” he said.

“I am sick of talking about it. The time for words has probably finished now, it has to be actions and we need to start being braver in that box.

“We talk about bravery in possession and the way we play but you also need to be brave enough to take a risk, take a chance, shoot on goal.

“Moments are not enough, we need shots on goal and to work the opposition goalkeeper because we haven’t done it enough.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum