Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

BWFC 2-2 Stockport in the FA Cup

+10
Keegan
terenceanne
Bolton Nuts
Ten Bobsworth
BoltonTillIDie
karlypants
Whitesince63
gloswhite
Natasha Whittam
wanderlust
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21BWFC 2-2 Stockport in the FA Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: BWFC 2-2 Stockport in the FA Cup Mon Nov 08 2021, 22:42

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

wanderlust wrote:I think we've been worked out.
Even if we played a back 3/5 with our best defenders to solve our defensive problems (Johnston, Santos and Aimson with John and Jones on either side) we'd be tighter at the back but still be struggling to score.
Not that I blame Doyler given his phenomenal workrate - it's just that he doesn't get the kind of ball that he finished off so well tonight anywhere near often enough.
As many have said on here before, we are so slow in the build up we have a wall of defenders to get through by the time the ball is at the business end and the sliderule passes to split them just don't happen. We are far too ponderous in front of goal and at times look shot shy.
And whilst Dapo can handle himself I wonder if our midfield notably Sheehan and Lee are just too small to compete physically in the middle?
Maybe we'll find an approach that works with these players or maybe Amaechi will bring something to the table on the opposite side to Dapo but somehow we have to find a winning combination and one thing I am convinced of is that we have to play a lot quicker especially in the transition.
Farting around with it at the back looking for an opening is Ok if we don't make mistakes but when that opening appears we have to move it a lot faster and a lot more directly if we're going to take advantage of it - because in league 1 openings are closed in next to no time.

Evatt has brought these players in to suit his system which makes it difficult to change the style of play if required.

Agree with that lusty, we looked our best last year when we moved the ball quickly but this season the players don’t seem to move once they’ve passed the ball. Once again though on Saturday, it was Dapo who created both goals, first with a brilliant through pass to Izzy, then with the first shot the keeper parried to Kachunga. Hopefully if Amaechi is fit it will allow Dapo to play centrally all the time and that could have a big effect. I’m not sure I’d want a back 3 again, I’m unconvinced but I certainly think Baps needs to be used only as a sub now, too slow for this level, just lost the County player for their 2nd and nearly gave Dale a flying start last Tuesday.

22BWFC 2-2 Stockport in the FA Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: BWFC 2-2 Stockport in the FA Cup Tue Nov 09 2021, 11:29

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

the sliderule passes to split them just don't happen.says Wanderlust mmmmmmm other than the sliderule pass from Dapo for our first goal ?

23BWFC 2-2 Stockport in the FA Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: BWFC 2-2 Stockport in the FA Cup Tue Nov 09 2021, 12:48

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wessy wrote:the sliderule passes to split them just don't happen.says Wanderlust mmmmmmm other than the sliderule pass from Dapo for our first goal ?
You mean the pass to Isgrove on the wing Wessy?

I suspect you know perfectly well that I'm referring to a pass that puts a player directly in on goal so I won't bother going into it.

24BWFC 2-2 Stockport in the FA Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: BWFC 2-2 Stockport in the FA Cup Tue Nov 09 2021, 15:43

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

wanderlust wrote:
You mean the pass to Isgrove on the wing Wessy?

I suspect you know perfectly well that I'm referring to a pass that puts a player directly in on goal so I won't bother going into it.

I agree lusty, we rarely see a killer pass to put someone through but then do we have players to take advantage of one? We basically only have Doyle up there and he’s not the quickest and I’m afraid Baka just doesn’t do it for me.

As well as slow, we seem small and weak compared to most of the teams we play. Were so easily pushed off the ball or lose out on 50/50 tackles. Doyle admits he can’t head a ball, Izzy, Sheehan and Kacha are only around 5’ 8” so passes and crosses have to be low which means they’re generally picked off by the first defender.

Even at the back we get bullied with both Johnson and Aimson lightweight and short. I know Evatt’s system is flowing football but unless you can stand your ground you’re going to get outfought, as we are even by Non league teams like Stockport. Hopefully Evatt sees this and is planning to do something to improve it in January. No more midgets Ian!!

25BWFC 2-2 Stockport in the FA Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: BWFC 2-2 Stockport in the FA Cup Tue Nov 09 2021, 17:06

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Whitesince63 wrote:

As well as slow, we seem small and weak compared to most of the teams we play. Were so easily pushed off the ball or lose out on 50/50 tackles. Doyle admits he can’t head a ball, Izzy, Sheehan and Kacha are only around 5’ 8” so passes and crosses have to be low which means they’re generally picked off by the first defender.

Even at the back we get bullied with both Johnson and Aimson lightweight and short. I know Evatt’s system is flowing football but unless you can stand your ground you’re going to get outfought, as we are even by Non league teams like Stockport. Hopefully Evatt sees this and is planning to do something to improve it in January. No more midgets Ian!!
Nail on head. I commented on this the other week when we lined up against a team that looked a foot taller, Santos aside. Nothing wrong with being of smaller stature if you're Davide Silva, Messi or Maradona but there is zero point in lumping the ball into the box to midgets. Maybe Baka was supposed to solve that problem but he's been played wide in the last couple of games.
The only way through a packed defence if you've got a team of littluns is to play quick, smart and accurate on the ground - and yet we faff about in the build up and go wide nearly every time.

26BWFC 2-2 Stockport in the FA Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: BWFC 2-2 Stockport in the FA Cup Wed Nov 10 2021, 08:20

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The replay is on BBC2 next week.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum