Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should MP's be allowed to have a second job?

+2
Norpig
wanderlust
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Current basic salary for an MP is £82k and in the view of most folk that's a job they should be focused on. You'd think that looking after your constituents would be a full time job in itself but MPs - of all parties - have supplemented their incomes with second and third jobs from time immemorial.

I can't see how Paterson for example could realistically be looking after his constituents when he's out of the country for months at a time. And perhaps more pertinently who are these MPs actually representing? Their constituents or their employers?

And would those employers bother to employ them or invite them on to their boards in the first place if they didn't think that they could influence political decisions or lobby on their behalf?

Six years ago Ed Milliband proposed that if you want to be an MP you should not be allowed to have another job - being and MP is the job.

Obviously the Tory government didn't approve and there's little chance of them approving such a measure now but surely the advantages of such a move massively outweigh the disadvantages - if there are any.

Not only would it be a small step towards reducing corruption but it would improve the representation of the people and you never know - some of these MPs might actually find out what's going on in the real world Smile

What do you think?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't mind them having a second job as long as it doesn't get in the way of their main job - looking after their constituents needs. Let's face it most of their second jobs are probably consulting jobs that may not take up too much of their time but can lead to issues with lobbying like with Paterson.

Geoffrey Cox clearly has made vast amounts of money and spent far more time on his QC job so that needs looking at and stopping. He was out of the country for long periods of time so can't have been around for his constituents and they should remember that when re-selection or an election comes up next time.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I note that the MP who had a go at Rashford, urging him to concentrate on the day job, has a second job herself. She does 8 hours a week, pulling in £3,000 a month.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:I note that the MP who had a go at Rashford, urging him to concentrate on the day job, has a second job herself. She does 8 hours a week, pulling in £3,000 a month.
Wish i could get a second job earning that much!

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

wanderlust wrote:Current basic salary for an MP is £82k and in the view of most folk that's a job they should be focused on. You'd think that looking after your constituents would be a full time job in itself but MPs - of all parties - have supplemented their incomes with second and third jobs from time immemorial.

I can't see how Paterson for example could realistically be looking after his constituents when he's out of the country for months at a time. And perhaps more pertinently who are these MPs actually representing? Their constituents or their employers?

And would those employers bother to employ them or invite them on to their boards in the first place if they didn't think that they could influence political decisions or lobby on their behalf?

Six years ago Ed Milliband proposed that if you want to be an MP you should not be allowed to have another job - being and MP is the job.

Obviously the Tory government didn't approve and there's little chance of them approving such a measure now but surely the advantages of such a move massively outweigh the disadvantages - if there are any.

Not only would it be a small step towards reducing corruption but it would improve the representation of the people and you never know - some of these MPs might actually find out what's going on in the real world Smile

What do you think?
You make a reasonable case, Lusty, but do you know what's going on in the world of BWFC let alone 'the real world'?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
You make a reasonable case, Lusty, but do you know what's going on in the world of BWFC let alone 'the real world'?
Should MP's be allowed to have a second job? 200.gif?cid=a87a70e6bneoyxi5k5nqy8g3oa02l7gtbdjxy9a1kaqc3vhn&rid=200

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:I note that the MP who had a go at Rashford, urging him to concentrate on the day job, has a second job herself. She does 8 hours a week, pulling in £3,000 a month.
£3,000 a month? Do you think Saint Marcus would get out of bed for £3,000 a month?

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
£3,000 a month? Do you think Saint Marcus would get out of bed for £3,000 a month?
Not the point. She has a lucrative second job, and I'm pretty sure it's an advisory position, which will, at some point, necessitate an urgent visit to the Seychelles, for a 'fact finding mission'.

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:
Not the point. She has a lucrative second job, and I'm pretty sure it's an advisory position, which will, at some point, necessitate an urgent visit to the Seychelles, for a 'fact finding mission'.
You mean a bit like your MP's trip to Gibraltar. Don't you think that a lot of MP's are professional bullshitters like (without mentioning any names) some footballers and football managers, but not paid as much?

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
You mean a bit like your MP's trip to Gibraltar. Don't you think that a lot of MP's are professional bullshitters like (without mentioning any names) some footballers and football managers, but not paid as much?
Poor Charlotte. She's blaming her medication. drunken

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Rashford wasn't elected to determine government policy so he's irrelevant. The only similarity is that he uses his standing to lobby for his cause - however that lobbying is from the outside which is a right that we all have - as opposed to lobbying on the inside which is illegal.

The issue here is that being an MP is a public position and like all public servants they have a job description however unlike other public servants they do not have to commit to a specific number of hours given over to the job as they don't actually have a contract of employment, being elected representatives.

Is it time to overhaul the system? Already Ministers are barred from taking a second job and that's not been a problem so why not extend that to all MPs?

Again I go back to the benefits of making the job a contractually binding public position - remove the temptation to represent external organisations on the inside i.e. less corruption and moreover spend more time in their constituencies finding out what the people they represent need and want i.e. better representation.

Give me one good reason why we shouldn't do it?

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

The perfect answer to this issue was given by Brighton Pavilion MP, Caroline Lucas, on Question Time last week....putting The Telegraph's Tim Stanley firmly in his place.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-59177868

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I contacted my local MP to ask how she voted on the Owen Paterson issue. She said she had abstained... and has subsequently been undermined, harangued and vilified by Tory Head Office.

I asked her why she didn't then resign and stand as an independent. Her answer was that some Toady Tory would replace her, and her constituents would be lumbered indefinitely. By staying on, she could continue to argue according to her conscience and principles.

Good to know that some areas are represented by an MP with a moral compass, rather than by a servile sycophant.

Similarly, she supported Rashford in his efforts for our children that the government was inclined to ignore.

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:
Poor Charlotte. She's blaming her medication. drunken
We shouldn't mock, should we? The poor wee lass has had an attack of asanewtitis, which can be quite debilitating. Sending her out wi a couple of SNP geezers was asking for trouble.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'd like to see citizen government. If nothing else it'd be bloody hilarious.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum