Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Bolton Wanderers Banter » Sam's Thanks To The Fans

Sam's Thanks To The Fans

+2
Hipster_nebula1
karlypants
6 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sam's Thanks To The Fans Empty Sam's Thanks To The Fans Tue Nov 16 2021, 09:39

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sam Allardyce thanked the fans who turned out in force to see him back in the Wanderers’ dug out and managing some of the club’s modern-day greats.

Allardyce returned to manage a Bolton All Stars XI against the current Wanderers’ squad for Sunday’s fund-raiser in aid of Karen Jones – mother of current defender Gethin – and MND research.

A magnificent crowd of 13,187 saw Ian Evatt’s Wanderers win the game 7-4 – including a hat-trick from the boss – and Allardyce admitted the turn-out at the University of Bolton Stadium had made a special occasion even better.

“I loved it and the fans made it,” said Allardyce, who was warmly welcomed back to the club where he spent eight years in charge and guided Wanderers to the top six of the Premier League and a first ever place in Europe in 2005.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

“It wouldn’t have been the same without so many there.

“It was incredible turn-out and magnificent to see so many coming to watch some of the great players we’ve had here and the team Ian has got now.

“It was lovely to see the players back and to catch up with them all and – most importantly – raise a lot of money for such an important cause.”

Allardyce reprised his famous dance moves with Jay Jay Okocha after Okocha – who made almost 150 appearances for the Whites from 2002-2006 in a golden period for the club – had opened the scoring for the All Stars.

The lead wouldn’t last but no-one went home unhappy as the Wanderers’ ‘family’ united to support one of their own.

“It was the perfect weekend. It’s the best weekend I’ve had since I’ve been at the club,” said Evatt, who also attended Saturday night’s fund-raising dinner with his first-team squad.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

“The performance and the win (over Crewe) on Friday was vitally important to make sure this weekend we could be relaxed and enjoy it.

“The way the club came together – people behind the scenes working their socks off to make it happen – and the fans, 13,000 of them turning out to see their new heroes and definitely the old ones, was fantastic for a wonderful family and a great cause.”

The Jones family launched an appeal to raise £250,000 after Karen, a former midwife, was diagnosed with MND at the age of 56 in July.

The fund will help finance treatment under a drug trial in the United States and on-going care, as well as contributing 25 per cent of monies raised to the Darby Rimmer Foundation which helps those with MND and finances research into a condition which currently has no cure.

Anyone wishing to donate to the fund can do via the Jones’ Just Giving page, which can be found [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Sam's Thanks To The Fans Empty Re: Sam's Thanks To The Fans Wed Nov 17 2021, 09:53

Ten Bobsworth


El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Nope, I've read it again and again and I still can't see the name of Eddie Davies anywhere.

Why did Big Sam not attend the memorial service of the man that made him into a multi-millionaire?

3Sam's Thanks To The Fans Empty Re: Sam's Thanks To The Fans Thu Nov 18 2021, 11:32

Hipster_nebula1


David Ngog
David Ngog

Losing to a non league side on the same week that this legendary figures grace us with the presence. 

Sad really but hey ho.

4Sam's Thanks To The Fans Empty Re: Sam's Thanks To The Fans Thu Nov 18 2021, 12:01

Ten Bobsworth


El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Hipster_nebula1 wrote:Losing to a non league side on the same week that this legendary figures grace us with the presence. 

Sad really but hey ho.
Do you have any explanation of why the 'legendary figure' did not attend the memorial service of the man that made him into a multi-millionaire and enabled BWFC to sign the 'legends'?

5Sam's Thanks To The Fans Empty Re: Sam's Thanks To The Fans Thu Nov 18 2021, 12:06

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
Do you have any explanation of why the 'legendary figure' did not attend the memorial service of the man that made him into a multi-millionaire and enabled BWFC to sign the 'legends'?

No I don't I'm afraid. But I do know he doesnt wash his hands at the toilet and once stole a hot dog from Nat Whittam. 

At the end of the day personal stuff doesn't negate what he did for the club over many many years. I wouldn't let it get to you.

6Sam's Thanks To The Fans Empty Re: Sam's Thanks To The Fans Thu Nov 18 2021, 14:09

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

In depth look at Big Sam.

1. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

3. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

7Sam's Thanks To The Fans Empty Re: Sam's Thanks To The Fans Fri Nov 19 2021, 08:00

Ten Bobsworth


El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

No I don't I'm afraid. But I do know he doesnt wash his hands at the toilet and once stole a hot dog from Nat Whittam. 

At the end of the day personal stuff doesn't negate what he did for the club over many many years. I wouldn't let it get to you.
It would be churlish not to recognise Big Sam's achievements at Bolton Wanderers but equally churlish to fail to acknowledge the financial commitment and support of Eddie Davies that had been crucial throughout his Bolton managerial career.

But it will be his relentless pursuit of self-interest and self-glorification, his unreliable memory and some of the spiteful and uncalled for comments in his book that will abide with me until my ashes are strewn. And I'm afraid that that would still have been the case even if he had been the first Bolton manager since Bill Ridding to parade the FA Cup in Victoria Square, which of course he wasn't.

8Sam's Thanks To The Fans Empty Re: Sam's Thanks To The Fans Sun Nov 21 2021, 13:10

Ten Bobsworth


El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

boltonbonce wrote:In depth look at Big Sam.

1. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

3. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Against my better judgement I listened to the first of these, Boncey. 'Deeper on the biggest stories' could have meant deeper in the biggest bullshit but actually I thought this podcast could be summed up slightly differently. Just two words came to mind: Boys Own.

What did you think?

9Sam's Thanks To The Fans Empty Re: Sam's Thanks To The Fans Sun Nov 21 2021, 13:27

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
Against my better judgement I listened to the first of these, Boncey. 'Deeper on the biggest stories' could have meant deeper in the biggest bullshit but actually I thought this podcast could be summed up slightly differently. Just two words came to mind: Boys Own.

What did you think?
You won't get an in depth look with these pieces, just a glossy magazine look at the perceived truth. That's the way the game works.
My own boss was given a Papal Knighthood for his charity work. The truth, if you were in the know, was very different.
Here he is with a sledgehammer, trying to crack a nut. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

10Sam's Thanks To The Fans Empty Re: Sam's Thanks To The Fans Sun Nov 21 2021, 16:43

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

That obnoxious creep Saville had a Papal Knighthood for his charity work too!

11Sam's Thanks To The Fans Empty Re: Sam's Thanks To The Fans Sun Nov 21 2021, 22:59

Ten Bobsworth


El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

boltonbonce wrote:
You won't get an in depth look with these pieces, just a glossy magazine look at the perceived truth. That's the way the game works.
My own boss was given a Papal Knighthood for his charity work. The truth, if you were in the know, was very different.
Here he is with a sledgehammer, trying to crack a nut. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
You are quite right, Boncey. Personally I think Albert Gubay was a much more interesting character than Big Sam as indeed was Eddie Davies.

Gubay was an IOM tax exile. Eddie wasn't but that didn't stop chip-on-the-shoulder types accusing him of being one. A huge part of Eddie's fortune actually went to the UK Treasury in PAYE in his contributions to funding the wages of BWFC players and managers. A few of them weren't too keen on paying their full wack of PAYE and so entered into the tax-avoiding film scams that got right up the noses of HMRC. I'm not sure that all these cases have been settled yet.

12Sam's Thanks To The Fans Empty Re: Sam's Thanks To The Fans Sun Nov 21 2021, 23:06

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
You are quite right, Boncey. Personally I think Albert Gubay was a much more interesting character than Big Sam as indeed was Eddie Davies.

Gubay was an IOM tax exile. Eddie wasn't but that didn't stop chip-on-the-shoulder types accusing him of being one. A huge part of Eddie's fortune actually went to the UK Treasury in PAYE in his contributions to funding the wages of BWFC players and managers. A few of them weren't too keen on paying their full wack of PAYE and so entered into the tax-avoiding film scams that got right up the noses of HMRC. I'm not sure that all these cases have been settled yet.
AG, as he liked to be called, had a few qualities. Integrity wasn't one of them. ED had it in spades.

13Sam's Thanks To The Fans Empty Re: Sam's Thanks To The Fans Mon Nov 22 2021, 10:18

Ten Bobsworth


El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

boltonbonce wrote:
AG, as he liked to be called, had a few qualities. Integrity wasn't one of them. ED had it in spades.
I never met either but suspect you are right about both.

Back to Big Sam, wasn't he going on about the government putting something back into football as they take enough?

Judge not that ye be not judged, Samuel.

Sponsored content



Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum