Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OFFICIAL - Jon Dadi Bodvarsson signs 18 month contract

4 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Wanderers have completed the permanent signing of striker Jon Dadi Bodvarsson to add further international quality to Ian Evatt’s squad.

The Icelander arrives from Championship side Millwall as the Whites’ fifth signing of the January transfer window and becomes Wanderers’ new number nine after agreeing an 18-month contract at the University of Bolton Stadium.

Bodvarsson, 29, has been capped 62 times by his country and continues an illustrious line of his countrymen to sign for Wanderers, led by Premier League stars Gudni Bergsson, Eidur Gudjohnsen and Gretar Steinsson.

“It’s taken some hard work from all sides and we’re delighted to have him on board,” said Wanderers’ boss Evatt.

“Jon has bought into the project and the club and what we’re trying to do and the history of the club has kind of helped us with this one, with the amount of Icelandic players we’ve had in the past.

“Jon watched a lot of Bolton growing up. He was almost a fan. So it’s great to have him on board and add some more strength to our squad.

“He’s an international player, played in the World Cup and is only 29 with loads to offer.

“He brings a lot of experience, a lot of good qualities to this team and we’re excited to have him. He’s another piece to the jigsaw.”

As well as his international pedigree – which includes appearances in the 2016 European Championships and the 2018 World Cup Finals – Bodvarsson also brings vast Championship experience and a goal-scoring track record from four different countries.

After starting his career with hometown club Selfoss and firing them to promotion to Iceland’s top tier, Bodvarsson moved to Norwegian club Viking and then onto Germany with Kaiserslautern.

His first taste of English football came when he joined Wolverhampton Wanderers in August, 2016 before signing for Reading 12 months later.

Bodvarsson – whose arrival takes Wanderers’ number of Icelandic players past and present close to double figures – scored 17 goals in 55 appearances for the Royals, with his 10 goals in 2017/18 making him joint top scorer for the Championship side.

The frontman then joined Millwall in July, 2019 and made 78 appearances for the Lions, including 69 in the Championship, with half-a-dozen goals coming in his first season at the New Den.

A starting member of the Iceland side that knocked England out to reach the quarter-finals of the 2016 Euros in France, Bodvarsson remains part of his country’s plans and scored in a 1-1 draw against Uganda in one of two friendlies played by Iceland last week.

And after ending his stay in South London, the striker – who is technically strong with a fantastic work ethic and impressive physical presence – will now add an extra dimension to Wanderers’ attacking options following the arrival of new striking colleague Dion Charles from Accrington Stanley earlier in the window.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Looks a nice lad and should fit in well. I’m sure he’ll contribute with goals but more importantly have that physical ability to hold the ball up when needed and also contribute for others. Welcome Jon, none of your Icelandic colleagues have let us down and I’m sure you won’t either.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ah! Turns out he has the same agent as Dapo.

Highly questionable signing IMO but I guess Evatt is banking on him turning things around at this lower level and in our system so I'm hoping he does, but I'm not really filled with confidence.

As the Millwall fans in the two clips above said, he's a nice guy but not good enough for the Championship - which is where we're aiming to be isn't it?

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:Ah! Turns out he has the same agent as Dapo.

Highly questionable signing IMO but I guess Evatt is banking on him turning things around at this lower level and in our system so I'm hoping he does, but I'm not really filled with confidence.

As the Millwall fans in the two clips above said, he's a nice guy but not good enough for the Championship - which is where we're aiming to be isn't it?
18 Month contract, we ain't getting to the Championship within that time, so all points to Evatt wanting him help us get there.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MartinBWFC wrote:
18 Month contract, we ain't getting to the Championship within that time, so all points to Evatt wanting him help us get there.
Fair point Martin - despite Evatts's stated ambition for this season (I'd be happy with survival TBH). I was just thinking that if it's not on the cards for this year, and given that we have Baka it would make sense to me to go for a youngster with potential.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum