Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ian Evatt gives verdict on victory against Lincoln City

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ian Evatt gives verdict on victory against Lincoln City 13503392

Ian Evatt said victory against Lincoln City emphasised the improved depth of his squad at Wanderers.

Second-half goals from George Johnston, Kieran Sadlier and Amadou Bakayoko were enough to move the Whites to within five points off the play-off places.

It was the Whites’ sixth successive home win and, in Evatt’s view, the most rewarding.

“Out of our mini run that was the most pleasing one because they are a good side, under-estimated, and they are well coached,” he said.

“We looked jaded at times because we put so much effort into the month but that is why we have got a squad now and can bring subs on to make a big difference. I am delighted with that.”

Evatt made a change at half time, bringing Sadlier on as a left wing-back for the injured Declan John.

“Declan has got a bit of a back spasm, so we decided to call it quits and not make it any worse,” he explained. “Kieran Sadlier came on and can play so many positions – he has played wing-back at Rotherham, or as a 10, or even a nine. He gives us that option and when he came on he was excellent. It was a really good finish.”

Fellow sub Bakayoko also got on the scoresheet late on to seal the win – and Evatt was equally impressed with defender Will Aimson, who stepped in at late notice to allow club skipper Ricardo Santos to be with his partner and newborn baby.

“I am delighted with Baka, with all the strikers, they keep on pushing each other. Kyle Dempsey had a big role to play in that goal too,” he said.

“Ricardo Santos would be missed by any team but Will Aimson stepped in and he was excellent.

“We wanted to go toe-to-toe, a high press, and sometimes that leaves you one-v-one at the back but Will and the defenders dealt with it really well.”

And to cap it off, Wanderers also added another goal from a set piece, with Johnston heading home Aaron Morley’s corner.

Evatt’s side had been League One’s lowest scorers from dead balls up to the start of January but have now discovered a newfound threat.

“Who would have thought it?” smiled the manager. “ To be fair, we were having a bit of banter with George before the game and he was asking how many goals we’d all scored in our careers, and I said ‘a lot more than you, son.’ “He wants 20 by the time he finishes. And for a 22-year-old that is a long, long way to go.

“If he keeps attacking them like that then he has a chance.”

Evatt refuses to get over-excited by the play-off chase and says his focus will remain on MK Dons this Saturday. But he admits the wins against Wimbledon and Lincoln have now reduced the pressure on their next result.

“I know it is a rubbish message and answer but it is next game mentality. I set the players a target a few weeks ago and we are still on the way to it, and it is still achievable,” he said.

“We are still a long, long way off and there are still lots of games to be played.

“We have a really big game on Saturday now but I will stress, if we don’t win there at MK it isn’t over, we are in this now because of the two home wins.

“I am delighted now to get to 50 points. That was our first target.

“Regardless of what club you are, if you get promoted the first thing you have to do is get to the safety marker as fast as you possibly can. Now we will start attacking higher up.

“We are improving rapidly. We haven’t ended this season yet but to go on the run we have, with how good the teams are, is exceptional.

“Yes, we have had one or two blips, against some of the lesser teams. And we have to look at that. But I am excited because I know there is more to come.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum