Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

'He'll learn from that' - Evatt backs keeper Trafford after Cheltenham error

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

'He'll learn from that' - Evatt backs keeper Trafford after Cheltenham error 13709270

James Trafford will learn from a late mistake that made Saturday’s win at Cheltenham Town a little less comfortable for Wanderers.

Ian Evatt said his Manchester City loanee can chalk the misplaced pass – which led to Aaron Ramsey’s 89th minute consolation for the Robins – up to experience.

Bolton looked to have the points firmly in the bag at 2-0 thanks to Kieran Sadlier’s close-range effort and an Amadou Bakayoko’s penalty but more than 1,300 travelling fans had a more nervous five minutes of stoppage time than they might have expected after Ramsey brought his side back within range.

Evatt reckons the 19-year-old – whom he hopes to re-sign next season at the UniBol despite reports linking him with a loan move to Anderlecht – was otherwise in top form at Whaddon Road.

“I think it was a really good performance and for Traff as well,” he told The Bolton News. “For all that he made that error, he Is 19-year-old.

“He Is going to make mistakes but the way he was front footed, the way he took some of their corners against big opposition was great.

“He will learn from that (mistake), and it didn’t cost us anything.

“If anything, it is more valuable that he will learn that lesson moving forwards and hopefully we can keep him here next season.”

Trafford had made a big save from Cheltenham’s top scorer Alfie May at 0-0 and looked confident coming to collect crosses all afternoon.

Asked whether ‘over-confidence’ had crept into the youngster’s game when he tried to pick out a pass down the middle of the pitch, the manager said: “Maybe but he is a 19-year-old kid and he is entitled to make mistakes.

“Everything else has to be right and fundamentally his goalkeeping has been outstanding.

“He is solid, he makes great saves. We know he still needs some work in possession and playing out from the back but it’s just risk and reward really at that stage of the game.

“It was dead and we were in complete control, we didn’t need to take that risk but he’s learning on the job and I’ve been delighted with him since he’s come in.

“He’s been absolutely brilliant. He’s a fantastic character, a confident young man, we’ve been delighted with what he’s shown us.”

Source

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We still need a new goalkeeper that is contracted to us though.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If we can get him on another season long loan i'd be happy. I know Biggie doesn't rate him but he is much better than Dixon and is only 19 and will get much better.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum