Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lost pubs of Bolton

+5
rammywhite
Norpig
doffcocker
Natasha Whittam
Sluffy
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Lost pubs of Bolton Empty Lost pubs of Bolton Wed Jan 23 2013, 19:42

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Back in the day I used to meet the lads at The Trotters on Bradshawgate before heading down to Burnden.

Son't know if anyone remembers it but here's a bit of a crapy picture I found of it -

Lost pubs of Bolton Bolton_trotters

Only reason I mention it really was that I've stunmbled on to this link with the same title as this thread which shows billions of pubs that have shut in Bolton - one near whersoever you lived no doubt.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&msa=0&msid=202905079901803722251.00049dfd2a99032018c72&ll=53.579156,-2.430296&spn=0.01274,0.021372&z=14&source=embed

Also -

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/lancashire/bolton.html

2Lost pubs of Bolton Empty Re: Lost pubs of Bolton Wed Jan 23 2013, 19:57

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I used to go in there with my friends when I was about 13. I remember watching Jason McAteer play for Ireland at the World Cup - upstairs on a big screen.

3Lost pubs of Bolton Empty Re: Lost pubs of Bolton Wed Jan 23 2013, 20:16

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

One of my closest, Arkwrights, used to be enormously popular. It seems to shut down every few months these days whilst it finds new owners. Spent many an afternoon in there watching the Wanderers, fighting for somewhere to even stand.

4Lost pubs of Bolton Empty Re: Lost pubs of Bolton Thu Jan 24 2013, 20:46

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

had a look at the list, one jumped out from my underage drinking days was Olivers on Deansgate. It was always full of under 18's trying to look older, my ploy was to wear a tie! It worked quite well god knows why because i probably looked about 14!

5Lost pubs of Bolton Empty Re: Lost pubs of Bolton Thu Jan 24 2013, 21:06

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:Back in the day I used to meet the lads at The Trotters on Bradshawgate before heading down to Burnden.

Son't know if anyone remembers it but here's a bit of a crapy picture I found of it -

Lost pubs of Bolton Bolton_trotters

Only reason I mention it really was that I've stunmbled on to this link with the same title as this thread which shows billions of pubs that have shut in Bolton - one near whersoever you lived no doubt.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&msa=0&msid=202905079901803722251.00049dfd2a99032018c72&ll=53.579156,-2.430296&spn=0.01274,0.021372&z=14&source=embed

Also -

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/lancashire/bolton.html

Remember it well as I spent most of my youth in there- 8 nights a week most weeks There were two sides to it upstairs. The right hand side full of hippy morons -and the left hand side full of sixth formers. I stopped going when I could drink legally and transferred allegiance to the Boars Head on Churchgate.
Pat and Derk ran it- and it was always good for a decent pint.
My mate Jimmy shat himself for the Queen on her silver jubilee in there after a 25 pub crawl. Just thought that I would share that with you!!

6Lost pubs of Bolton Empty Re: Lost pubs of Bolton Thu Jan 24 2013, 21:20

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

An awful lot of pubs on that list. Some spring to mind immediately. The New Inn at the bottom of Halliwell Road used to be managed by the wrestler, Colin ' Bulldog ' Joynson and the Black Dog pub , a few hundred yards further up was closed to make way for a mosque.

7Lost pubs of Bolton Empty Re: Lost pubs of Bolton Thu Jan 24 2013, 21:22

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

In my late teens we used to go for a drink in the Gypsy's Tent before hitting the Navada!

8Lost pubs of Bolton Empty Re: Lost pubs of Bolton Thu Jan 24 2013, 21:25

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Anybody remember the Cattle Market at Orlando Bridge? I saw Billy Connolly in there when he was still an unknown folk singer

9Lost pubs of Bolton Empty Re: Lost pubs of Bolton Thu Jan 24 2013, 21:32

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

'few hundred yards further up was closed to make way for a mosque'

I wonder if some of the faith lot do their shopping at one of my locals? ....

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/lancashire/nelson_trafalgar.html

10Lost pubs of Bolton Empty Re: Lost pubs of Bolton Thu Jan 24 2013, 21:37

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Copper Dragon wrote:'few hundred yards further up was closed to make way for a mosque'

I wonder if some of the faith lot do their shopping at one of my locals? ....

It's a sign of the times I guess. If you look at the picture of the Black Dog you can see the Mosque to the right.

11Lost pubs of Bolton Empty Re: Lost pubs of Bolton Thu Jan 24 2013, 21:54

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

rammywhite wrote:Anybody remember the Cattle Market at Orlando Bridge? I saw Billy Connolly in there when he was still an unknown folk singer

I remember the Cattle Market, iirc it was a Whitbread Pub. Isn't it still going ?

12Lost pubs of Bolton Empty Re: Lost pubs of Bolton Thu Jan 24 2013, 22:20

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I was last there about 8 years ago. Last time I went past it, this morning, it still seemed to be a going concern.

13Lost pubs of Bolton Empty Re: Lost pubs of Bolton Fri Jan 25 2013, 08:36

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:An awful lot of pubs on that list. Some spring to mind immediately. The New Inn at the bottom of Halliwell Road used to be managed by the wrestler, Colin ' Bulldog ' Joynson and the Black Dog pub , a few hundred yards further up was closed to make way for a mosque.

i used to live in Halliwell and went past the New Inn once just as Colin was chucking out a bloke while he was still sat on his stool! Almost chucked him and the stool onto Halliwell Road.

14Lost pubs of Bolton Empty Re: Lost pubs of Bolton Fri Jan 25 2013, 11:30

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He was a decent landlord was Colin. Big Jim Hunter and his wife Peggy ran the Black Dog until it shut to make way for a bit of multi-culturalism.. It was a Greenhall Whitley pub and he kept a decent pint of dark mild. It was a hotbed for darts back in the day.

15Lost pubs of Bolton Empty Re: Lost pubs of Bolton Fri Jan 25 2013, 12:55

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The Trotters used to have the occasional do and I remember copping off with a girl from Deane there whilst my mate got off with her best friend. Took them off on the back of our motorbikes for a night of unbridled passion and never saw them again.

Gypsy's Tent was OK. Used to go to the New Zealand Chief, Pack Horse and/or Ancient Shep before wandering up to Burnden.

Is Wood St Social Club still going? Could drink all afternoon of you paid the 10p charge (to keep out the riff-raff) but it did mean sitting on bus seats next to mutants. Barely a person in the place without at least one limb missing or breasts the size of spacehoppers.

16Lost pubs of Bolton Empty Re: Lost pubs of Bolton Fri Jan 25 2013, 17:04

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

What was the name of he pub that used to be opposite Hick Hargreaves? That was a decent place for a pint before home games at Burnden

17Lost pubs of Bolton Empty Re: Lost pubs of Bolton Fri Jan 25 2013, 17:06

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Are you thinking of the Sweet Green Tavern?

18Lost pubs of Bolton Empty Re: Lost pubs of Bolton Fri Jan 25 2013, 17:15

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:Are you thinking of the Sweet Green Tavern?
Thanks Sluffy- thats the one. my memory is crap at the moment. Good pint in there though!

19Lost pubs of Bolton Empty Re: Lost pubs of Bolton Fri Jan 25 2013, 19:49

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Isn't it still going ? The pub used to be run by the parents of the notorious early morning child rapist, Andrew Longmire.

20Lost pubs of Bolton Empty Re: Lost pubs of Bolton Fri Jan 25 2013, 20:04

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Reebok Trotter wrote:

Isn't it still going ? The pub used to be run by the parents of the notorious early morning child rapist, Andrew Longmire.

Is it- I wouldn't know as I don't ever go into Bolton now. I live in Rammy and when I go to the Reebok I always go through Bradshaw and up Moss Bank Way to Chorley New road.
There's absolutely nothing to go into Bolton for now. It was once a great place to go and now it's a shitheap.
If the Sweet Green is still there- good as it was a great little watering hole

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum