Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How we rate players

+4
Triumph
terenceanne
Sluffy
wanderlust
8 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How we rate players Empty How we rate players Mon Apr 22 2013, 22:07

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There have been a few comments about how we'll get slaughtered if we get into the prem and how our players aren't good enough. If you look at the players in the QPR, Reading, Wigan and Villa squads (and I suspect either Wigan or Villa are for the drop) it makes me wonder just what's required.
Last season we were looking to sign Onouha and SWP and most thought they'd be good enough for the prem. But what about Loic Remy, Samba, Hoilett, Mbia, Bosingwa and Taraabt? What about Pobgreniak and our own reject Danny Guthrie at Reading? McCarthy, Maloney, Al Habsi and Kone at Wigan? Benteke, Weimann, Gabby, N Zogbia et al at Villa?
Ok we probably won't agree, but I reckon a few of those getting relegated are players we wouldn't mind having if we were in the prem - and most have them have been praised highly in the media at some time or other. But they are all losers. Or maybe they're just past their sell by dates.
The likes of Norwich and Southampton with no "big names" to speak of are safe.
So is it just that the media are full of shit and couldn't recognise a good player if he sat on their faces? Do we get carried away with the hype when we discuss players?
Fact is we could never afford to buy players like that - and they're clearly not that good anyway so are we better off forgetting about "known quantities" altogether when it comes round to the transfer window?

2How we rate players Empty Re: How we rate players Mon Apr 22 2013, 22:23

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Simple answer is that it is a 'team' game.

A well organised team working for each other will more often than not beat a team composed of better individual players who are all individualists. (Within reason of course I'm not suggest Bolton Nuts old boys XI would beat Barcelona - not by that many anyway!)

Bolton should not have gone down last season but Coyle only had one tactic and every other team knew what it was and planned for it.

The likes of Swansea, Southampton, Norwich, etc have picked the players to fit the team - the likes of Redknapp have bought the players and jammed them into the team - whether they fit or not!

Basic common sense really.

3How we rate players Empty Re: How we rate players Tue Apr 23 2013, 01:49

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I wouldn't mind Taarat from that above list. I would fancy QPR to come right back up next year. Most of their players will stay IMO
I would say that after the top 8 or 9 clubs in the Prem that there is a big drop off in quality. What is quality....hard to say........watch Arsenal players trap a ball instantly and pass a weighted ball....see them do it with either foot also. It seems that basics like that cost a lot of money....why that is I don't know.
It's the old story...foreigners seems to have those skills for the most part. We should look at La Liga etc....even Korea etc.....I can't see lads coming from lower divisions at home...not many anyhow.

4How we rate players Empty Re: How we rate players Tue Apr 23 2013, 07:26

Triumph

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

A lot of it is to do with who is in charge and tactics, Swansea for example, I dont think Man Ure would have won the title but for Fergie. Plus you need to be injury free and have plenty luck.

5How we rate players Empty Re: How we rate players Tue Apr 23 2013, 07:51

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

terenceanne wrote:I wouldn't mind Taarat from that above list. I would fancy QPR to come right back up next year. Most of their players will stay IMO

You jest surely. Most of their players will have a transfer request in before they reach the dressing room after the final game.

6How we rate players Empty Re: How we rate players Tue Apr 23 2013, 08:10

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If it's about how the team plays collectively, why do we assess players on criteria other than team contribution?
Taraabt for example is easy on the eye sometimes but he's a greedy barsteward and hardly a team player IMO.

7How we rate players Empty Re: How we rate players Tue Apr 23 2013, 11:18

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Natasha Whittam wrote:
terenceanne wrote:I wouldn't mind Taarat from that above list. I would fancy QPR to come right back up next year. Most of their players will stay IMO

You jest surely. Most of their players will have a transfer request in before they reach the dressing room after the final game.
Why and who would be off ??? you have a club that obviously will spend money and has ambition....plus the appeal of being in London. If other posters are correct then half their players are carp....so who is rushing out the door?

8How we rate players Empty Re: How we rate players Tue Apr 23 2013, 11:33

terenceanne wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:

Why and who would be off ??? you have a club that obviously will spend money and has ambition....plus the appeal of being in London. If other posters are correct then half their players are carp....so who is rushing out the door?

Remy, Cesar, Samba will all want to be moved on. Im not sure anybody will pay what QPR want for Samba, he hasn't been fantastic in fairness, Remy has looked class as has Cesar at time.

The club will also need to move players on, their wage bill doubled BEFORE last summers spending, so it must have doubled again with that summer and January. Their revenue next year will be a fraction of what it is now, they're business men they aren't stupid enough to risk such huge losses again.

9How we rate players Empty Re: How we rate players Tue Apr 23 2013, 11:46

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

terenceanne wrote:

Apart from Remy they are all crap....but the players themselves think they're Ronaldo and too good for the Championship.

If ::bellend:: thinks he's too good for the Championship how do you think Samba, Wright-Phillips, Zamora etc will feel?

10How we rate players Empty Re: How we rate players Tue Apr 23 2013, 18:33

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Fergie said he won the title on the coach going back from Sunderland .

He walked up the coach and said to his young players, remember this moment, never forget it.

11How we rate players Empty Re: How we rate players Wed Apr 24 2013, 11:34

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

bwfc1874 wrote:
terenceanne wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:

Remy, Cesar, Samba will all want to be moved on. Im not sure anybody will pay what QPR want for Samba, he hasn't been fantastic in fairness, Remy has looked class as has Cesar at time.

The club will also need to move players on, their wage bill doubled BEFORE last summers spending, so it must have doubled again with that summer and January. Their revenue next year will be a fraction of what it is now, they're business men they aren't stupid enough to risk such huge losses again.
Ceasar & Samba are both past it ..... that's two high wages right there they can do without. With 'arry in charge they will attract new players and keep most of the others.....they will have to bounce right back due to the finances etc. Zamora and SWP are past due also IMO.

12How we rate players Empty Re: How we rate players Wed Apr 24 2013, 11:42

terenceanne wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:
terenceanne wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:

Ceasar & Samba are both past it ..... that's two high wages right there they can do without. With 'arry in charge they will attract new players and keep most of the others.....they will have to bounce right back due to the finances etc. Zamora and SWP are past due also IMO.

Sambas 29 and cesar is 33 neither are past it. I agree about Zamora and SWP though.

You've ignored the main point though, they need to cut their wage bill massively before they can think about attracting new players. The likes of granero, bosingwa etc will all need to go.

13How we rate players Empty Re: How we rate players Wed Apr 24 2013, 11:58

Jamster26

Jamster26
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I think QPR will struggle to off-load quite a few of there players. Allot of them are on big contracts, and will clubs want to pay for players who are under-performing and have just been relegated?

14How we rate players Empty Re: How we rate players Wed Apr 24 2013, 12:38

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think QPR will be the new Middlesborough.

15How we rate players Empty Re: How we rate players Wed Apr 24 2013, 13:23

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So given that these players are not good enough for the Prem and they expect ridiculous wages, are they all finished?

16How we rate players Empty Re: How we rate players Wed Apr 24 2013, 13:39

I'd expect Jenas, Ben Haim, Bothroyd, Dj Campbell, Traore, Andy Johnson, SWP, Green and Onuoha to stay. The rest they’ll manage to shift I reckon, only ones Im not sure about are Taraabt and Bosingwa.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum