Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ukraine v England

+7
Banks of the Croal
Michael Bolton
Hipster_Nebula
Natasha Whittam
gloswhite
aaron_bwfc
Sluffy
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Ukraine v England Empty Ukraine v England Mon Sep 09 2013, 22:59

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Used to be a time when the only question would be by how many goals we would beat teams like Ukraine, these days we'd probably be happy to come away with a draw.

Another of our so called Golden generation of players - Fat Franky Lampard will be winning his 100th cap and will play alongside Gerrard and Cole who already have over a hundred caps each.

Completely overrated the lot of them - and a big part of the reason I think that many people have become indifferent towards England football games - well it is for me anyway.

Still big game for us tonight - do you think we will win though?

2Ukraine v England Empty Re: Ukraine v England Mon Sep 09 2013, 23:17

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

After god knows how many managers after countless competitions we still have Gerrard and Lamps in the centre of midfield.....thank christ for Wilshere.

The game on friday night seemed to pass Lampard by and IMO will look even more out of the game against Ukraine.

I hope we do win but my prediction is a draw.

3Ukraine v England Empty Re: Ukraine v England Tue Sep 10 2013, 09:58

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

The players you mention are the tail end of a mediocre era, Hopefully, the current manager will ask them to retire after these games, and then follow them out of the door.

4Ukraine v England Empty Re: Ukraine v England Tue Sep 10 2013, 10:02

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:The players you mention are the tail end of a mediocre era, Hopefully, the current manager will ask them to retire after these games, and then follow them out of the door.
I don't mind Gerrard. He's been loyal to Liverpool (albeit for a shedload of cash), isn't one of those players who pulls out of the England squad when he breaks a nail, and gives 100% on the pitch.

And let's be honest, he's been the best England player of the last decade without reaching the heights of his peak Liverpool form.

5Ukraine v England Empty Re: Ukraine v England Tue Sep 10 2013, 12:27

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Nat, although I agree with you, I have to say that I personally can't stand the man. He's a big-headed, arrogant git, and the reason he stayed at Liverpool was because he was too much of a wimp to leave, after he received threats when he said he was considering it. Oddly enough, I reckon his form dipped slightly then, and has remained at a good and consistent level, rather than what he used to produce.

6Ukraine v England Empty Re: Ukraine v England Tue Sep 10 2013, 12:51

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

As we know the media pick the team, so should Roy grow a pair and blood some of the intriguing talents like Ox, Zaha, Ward-Prowse that guy from Derby the media would be hounding him out if they didn't win their first game.

The squad for the world cup will be

======hart======

Johnson----Terry----Cahill-----Cole

--Walcott---Gerrard----Lampard----Young

-------Rooney------Defoe-----------

7Ukraine v England Empty Re: Ukraine v England Tue Sep 10 2013, 14:06

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:As we know the media pick the team, so should Roy grow a pair and blood some of the intriguing talents like Ox, Zaha, Ward-Prowse that guy from Derby the media would be hounding him out if they didn't win their first game.

The squad for the world cup will be

======hart======

Johnson----Terry----Cahill-----Cole

--Walcott---Gerrard----Lampard----Young

-------Rooney------Defoe-----------
I agree Hodgson is another manager who always puts caution over going for it. I actually think when the best 11 players are fit and available England don't have a bad team. Not World Cup winners or anything, but good enough to put away the average teams like Ukraine, Denmark, Sweden etc.

England have some really quick players to pick from, I just wish Hodgson would pick a team to utilise these players and attack the opposition.

8Ukraine v England Empty Re: Ukraine v England Tue Sep 10 2013, 14:57

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I know Spain have so many great players but I think one reason why they are so good is because they are all club mates and play in the same team as each other all the time. The Spain team usually has a load of Barca players -Jordi Alba, Busquets, Fabregas, Xavi, Pique, Iniesta and Pedro. Madrid players with Casillas, Ramos, Xabi Alonso and Arbeloa.  
I always think with England you just have a load of players from about 7 clubs and they never seem to play well as a team. The only times I ever remember England playing well as a team was World Cup 1990 and Euro 96 and both times they had fantastic team spirits. I think that is what is missing with England.

9Ukraine v England Empty Re: Ukraine v England Tue Sep 10 2013, 15:10

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Unfortunately, if England had a forceful manager, who insisted that they play exactly as he tells them, then you would see some of the team walk. I genuinely believe that some of the players are of the opinion that they know what is right for the team, regardless. The firm management of overpaid , 'big' personalities, and the possibility a manager could lose some of his better players is a major factor in the way he plans the gameplay. Until a team consists of younger, hungrier players, the stop-start, listless, format of the England team tactics will remain.

10Ukraine v England Empty Re: Ukraine v England Tue Sep 10 2013, 17:36

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Decided to have another little flutter on the football tonight after Fridays win.

England to beat Ukraine
Macedonia to beat Scotland
Austria and Ireland draw
Serbia to beat Wales

£1.65 yankee - £24 back if they all come up.

11Ukraine v England Empty Re: Ukraine v England Tue Sep 10 2013, 23:26

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Thought Cahill had a good game, fuckin Chelsea got a bargain.

If he played till he was 60, he would never be as bad as Knight.

12Ukraine v England Empty Re: Ukraine v England Wed Sep 11 2013, 13:10

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cahill is a great CB and only looked awkward at times with us when he was dragged out of position trying to cover for other players' errors. Still gutted he went so cheaply. Still gutted he went full stop.

BTW England looked toothless in attack and the midfield created very little. Lambert's control was awful - this wasn't his type of game and Woy should have stuck someone like Defoe on for this one.

13Ukraine v England Empty Re: Ukraine v England Wed Sep 11 2013, 14:18

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Apart from the 2 centre backs, the whole team looked out of ideas. It was clear after the first 20 that we had gone their to do fuck all apart from defend and get a point which is something I hate personally.

Lampard should only be used from the bench IMO, the games just pass him by against half decent teams at international level.

14Ukraine v England Empty Re: Ukraine v England Wed Sep 11 2013, 15:56

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The problem England have is that Gerrard is their best defensive midfielder, but also their best attacking midfielder. Personally I'd rather see Gerrard going forward and getting in the penalty area, but Hodgson was always going to play for the draw.

We'll still fuck up, no way will we win our two home games, we'll draw at least one of them and Ukraine will pip us.

15Ukraine v England Empty Re: Ukraine v England Wed Sep 11 2013, 16:03

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Natasha Whittam wrote:The problem England have is that Gerrard is their best defensive midfielder, but also their best attacking midfielder. Personally I'd rather see Gerrard going forward and getting in the penalty area, but Hodgson was always going to play for the draw.

We'll still fuck up, no way will we win our two home games, we'll draw at least one of them and Ukraine will pip us.
I don't think Gerrard is that great going forward nowadays, I think now he is best in a DM position. 
I think England are certs to win at home to Poland and Montengro, neither are very good.

16Ukraine v England Empty Re: Ukraine v England Wed Sep 11 2013, 16:56

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think England are crying out for a Mavies to unlock defences .

17Ukraine v England Empty Re: Ukraine v England Wed Sep 11 2013, 18:15

Triumph

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

As long as we have so many foreign players in our leagues we will always be 'also rans'

18Ukraine v England Empty Re: Ukraine v England Wed Sep 11 2013, 18:29

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

The Poland game will be tricker than people think IMO, that Robert Levandovski who plays for Dortmund is a quality player.

I'd be surprised if we fucked up against Montenegro, but this is England so anything is possible.

19Ukraine v England Empty Re: Ukraine v England Wed Sep 11 2013, 18:54

Carrick should have played instead of Lampard, that would have allowed Gerrard more freedom going forward. God knows why Hodgson got Carrick out of retirement if he isn't going to play him.

20Ukraine v England Empty Re: Ukraine v England Wed Sep 11 2013, 19:10

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I don't know why he picked Carrick in the first place, never rated him at international level personally.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum