Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A point gained or two points dropped.

+9
luckyPeterpiper
observer
Tigermin
Natasha Whittam
gloswhite
aaron_bwfc
kennster
Whitesince63
scottjames30
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1A point gained or two points dropped. Empty A point gained or two points dropped. Sun Oct 20 2013, 06:48

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

On looking back at yesterdays game i'm thinking to myself if Doug went 442, with Ngog and Becks up top would we of lost that game ?

Giving that we have a weak back four, he feels the need to change that to a back six, is that doing us a favour by picking us the odd point up here and there, or is he taking our goals away because he's too negative ?

I can't fathom him out, he knows we need three points but he must know if he went 442 that we'd lose the game , i know he changed it yesterday towards the end and took the risk but although we could've won it we were lucky to not lose it too.

He definitely doesn't like 442, does he think we're too weak to play that system therefore he's doing us a favour in grinding the odd point here and there, or has he missed a trick by not going two up top ?

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

If you score more goals than the opposition Scott you win? If you score less you lose. It's pretty simple really just not to a twat like Freedman obviously.

kennster

kennster
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

We had 6 in defence, 1 man up front, 1 winger, 1 ponce, a retarded manager and a goalkeeper who lacks confidence behind the worst defence in 25 years.

1 point gained, Freedman Out.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

2 points dropped every day of the week IMO.

Dougie really is as negative as Megson IMO, if not more. Playing 1 striker up front at home against a team that hasn't won all season and also against teams like Yeovil is simply not good enough.

Away from home I can understand but in pretty much every game this season we play like the away team instead of attacking.

aaron_bwfc wrote:2 points dropped every day of the week IMO.

Dougie really is as negative as Megson IMO, if not more. Playing 1 striker up front at home against a team that hasn't won all season and also against teams like Yeovil is simply not good enough.

Away from home I can understand but in pretty much every game this season we play like the away team instead of attacking.
There's nothing wrong with the formation itself, I think it's laughable that people see any formation that's not 442 as negative barely any of the very best teams on the planet ever play 442. With 2 holding midfielders Eagles, Danns and Feeney should be free to go all out in supporting Beckford. 

The problem is how it's being applied, at least part of that is the managers fault obviously. Either he's instructing the players to be cautious in their approach and worry about the opposition instead of pushing on themselves, or the players just aren't up to it.

I didn't see the game so I've no idea, but from what I took from the commentary on Wanderers player we sounded flat for most it. Feeney wasn't as influential and we struggled to hold onto the ball, I'd give Moritz and Hall a go as we clearly need something different.

Last edited by bwfc1874 on Sun Oct 20 2013, 11:28; edited 1 time in total

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Because of his game plan, two points lost.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

bwfc1874 wrote:
aaron_bwfc wrote:2 points dropped every day of the week IMO.

There's nothing wrong with the formation itself, I think it's laughable that people see any formation that's not 442 as negative barely any of the very best teams on the planet ever play 442. With 2 holding midfielders Eagles, Danns and Feeney should be free to go all out in supporting Beckford. 

The problem is how it's being applied, at least part of that is the managers fault obviously. Either he's instructing the players to be cautious in their approach and worry about the opposition instead of pushing on themselves, or the players just aren't up to it.

I didn't see the game so I've no idea, but from what I took from the commentary on Wanderers player we sounded flat for most it. Feeney wasn't as influential and we struggled to hold onto the ball, I'd give Moritz and Hall a go as we clearly need something different.
We just simply stopped playing altogether once we scored, we sit back so deep at home and let the opposition come at us at will without even applying any pressure until they get to the edge of our box.

The one that annoys me more than anything is our goalkicks, Beckford hasn't won a header all season yet we simply still get Bogdan to hoof it up to him like he's SKD.

Totally agree with you about the long ball, in every game I've seen this season it's been completely useless and the only time we look a threat going forward is when we manage to string a few passes together. If he's instructing them to hoof it then we have serious problems.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:Feeney wasn't as influential and we struggled to hold onto the ball, I'd give Moritz and Hall a go as we clearly need something different.
Hall is rubbish. Again yesterday he came on and did less than Eagles. He can't beat a player, and while he has pace, he hasn't got the ability to run and control the ball at the same time. Freedman is wasting his time with this player.

Dougie talks big about Moritz but doesn't want to play him. Yesterday the game was crying out for someone to hold onto the ball in the centre of the pitch, but Dougie just made like-for-like subs as usual.

He put on N'gog for Danns, so he didn't just make like for like subs let's not make things up. Moritz has struggled with fitness since he's got here, we can criticise Dougie for not playing him if he can stay fit from now on. I disagree about Hall from what I've seen of him he has something to offer but like any player he needs a run in the team, was he really worse than Eagles yesterday? Sounded like he did OK when he came on.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I also think Hall has potential. If he isn't given a good runout, then he'll end up the same as Sordell, disillusioned and ready to go.

Tigermin

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

If we had started the game with the team that finished it we would have pissed it. Wednesday were there for the taking. One up front at home against piss poor opposition beggars belief.Only positive was El Prat on the bench and he stayed there.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:He put on N'gog for Danns, so he didn't just make like for like subs let's not make things up.
He put Ngog on and played him behind Beckford. Just where Danns had been playing. It was only in the last 5 mins that everyone pushed up.

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:He put on N'gog for Danns, so he didn't just make like for like subs let's not make things up.
He put Ngog on and played him behind Beckford. Just where Danns had been playing. It was only in the last 5 mins that everyone pushed up.

And how many saves did Kirkland have to make in those last few minutes?  Plenty! Nat's correct!  If we only had someone who could finish, we would be winning instead of moaning.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

We only started creating the chances once they got a man sent off, up until then Sheff Wed were all over us as we let them have so much of the ball.

Dougies negativity has cost us a play off spot already and were not even in November yet.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I have to be honest and say I found our approach and formation baffling because this should really have been a home banker. That said given how dreadful our start has been I suppose Dougie may have been more keen to keep the unbeaten streak going rather than risk losing the first game back after the break. He got his tactics wrong IMO and it wasn't the first time this season he's done that. However I still feel that sacking him now would be pointless because with the current squad I don't think we have the strength in depth to do much more than get to mid table.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I've championed formations other than 4-4-2 in the past. There's no doubt we'd have stayed up a couple seasons ago had we played a 4-5-1 throughout because it played to our strengths at the time.
Right now, we've finally got a striker who will score 20+ goals, but not without the support of a second forward that he can feed off. Danns is doing a good job off the ball, but isn't offering enough to the attack, because he's dire when it comes to his feet.

Take nothing away from Sheffield Wednesday, they have a few good players and played some good football. But in all the manners that we looked to have progressed in the last two matches, i.e. confidence, controlled purposeful passing and defensive organisation, weren't to be seen yesterday.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We were lucky to get a point. Very lucky. I've watched it several times now and I still don't see why the Wednesday goal was disallowed.
Dougie in. Squad out.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

One thing that has always alarmed me about this team, from the day Megson arrived to now, is their complete and utter lack of ability to pass and move the ball. 

A few sideways passes almost always result in a pass back to a CB who then pumps it long. 

You have had the odd nifty move over the years but rarely (struggling to think of a single time tbh) where I've thought "we seriously bossed that game today" 

I genuinely am at a loss to explain it. 

I usually watch the championship matches that are on Sky, so see a variety of teams and i can safely say that all of them have the ability (IMO) to pass and move the ball, even if they're not playing particularly well. 

I saw the extended highlights of the Derby/Watford match and it was a joy. Passing, movement, quick slick incisive counter attacking from Derby, balls into the box, finishing.

honestly have you, since Megson came actually been impressed by a Bolton performance?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Point taken but I guess he built a side that had a job to do at the time.

Allardyce's team was aging and had to be replaced reasonably quickly. Money was spent to keep us in the Premier rather than with the thought of entertaing.

When Megson went, Coyle tried to play all out attack every single game, 4-4-2, with two wingers who did not tackle back - and basically wasted what ever was left of our monies on dud players.

Freedman has realised (a bit late for my liking) that his key defenders Knight (made club captain) and Wheater (given 3 year new contract) simply aren't up to the job and as such - and with little money to put things right is basically trying to make the defence solid by having rwo defensive mids and thus limiting his attacking options away from tippy-tappy build up play.

We basically have got what we deserved by knee jerk short term actions rather than strategic long term planning - and I guess the fault lies at Mr Gartsides door for such poor resource management.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum