Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Bolton Wanderers Banter » Beckford thought of himself not the team when taking pen

Beckford thought of himself not the team when taking pen

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
It was a rerun of Eagles trying to up his score count last year at first Millwall,which he blazed over then Huddersfield before he realized he was a shit penalty taker.Moritz should have took it the guy is class.Beckford might have got 5 out of the last 6 but DF now has to say who is the penalty taker.Two wins next two home matches are not guaranteed with Huddersfield beating Burnley and Doncaster beating QPR.::mad::

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Did we have a penalty?

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Well it didn't go in so it was a shit one

kennster

kennster
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
:clap:

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Well it didn't go in so it was a shit one
Seriously, that makes it worse then. ::seething2:: 

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
Beckford today and Eagles at Millwall are two instances where letting your best finisher take a penalty didn't work out.
So what do we do in future? Let our second best finisher at any given time take penalties? Where do we turn when he misses one?

When Beckford stepped up today, did anybody honestly go "oh no not Beckford"?
Nobody has the benefit of hindsight when a penalty is given. You can only go with what seems like a reasonable decision at the time.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Beckford today and Eagles at Millwall are two instances where letting your best finisher take a penalty didn't work out.
So what do we do in future? Let our second best finisher at any given time take penalties? Where do we turn when he misses one?

Nobody has the benefit of hindsight when a penalty is given. You can only go with what seems like a reasonable decision at the time.
I agree.

I'd have backed Beckford to score before he took the pen, it's a toss up between him and Moritz as to who should have taken it so I'm not going to complain about that, it's just disappointing he missed it so emphatically.

Biggie

Biggie
Admin
I thought. Oh no he is gonna miss. But there was nobody else I would have picked except maybe Moritz.

http://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Beckford today and Eagles at Millwall are two instances where letting your best finisher take a penalty didn't work out.

Well said.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Strikers can never win when taking a penalty. If they score so what? It's expected. If they miss they're rubbish. Before this game started if anyone had asked me who should take a penalty for us I'd have said Beckford instantly. He missed and some will say cost us a point but in my opinion I feel sorry for the lad. Every striker misses one somewhere. Even the greats like Shearer and Lineker have missed penalties and who can forget the Beckham effort or John Terry in the CL Final? I'm not saying Beckford is as good as any of them and I know Terry was a centre back and Beckham a midfielder but all would have been expected to score and missed. If it can happen to players of that calibre it can happen to anyone. I think Beckford SHOULD take the next one we get. I know that will get a bit of stick on here but he's a good finisher in normal circumstances and one miss shouldn't be enough to have him written off totally.

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Hindsight is a wonderful thing,but I've just watched 5 or 6 penalties rolled in.Personally I would have give it Moritz .I think Shay Given being in the net may have psyched him out and that's why he chose to blast it.Moritz would have had more technical skill and to be honest he may have missed who knows.Has Beckford ever been a penalty taker.When Petrov took his they were always hit hard low to the keepers right, so even if he guessed right he was beat by speed and precision.This is why I think Beckford who had already missed two attempts thought I'll grab the ball and add to my spree,that's why he chose to put his foot through it as he normally does not take them.Stillwould have thought he would have scored but that's football.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Beckford bottler

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Beckford bottler
You in a shite mood or something?

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
The truth is that Beckford is not as good as he once was at Leeds.  He has continually had chances in front and has not scored.  The only difference on the penalty was that it was one on one and he blew that one.  Beckford should have double figures already from the chances he has had this season.  No ifs, ands or buts about it.  If he can get the finishing correct, we'll make the playoffs.  There is no sign of that to me at this time, but I can hope can't I?

I think you're being a little harsh on him, he does miss chances but he continually gets in good goalscoring positions; a quality we haven't had in a striker for a long time, his pace is also a major asset to our counter attacks.

He's far from a world beater but in terms of fitting in with our strategy he's easily the best candidate in our squad and one of the better options in the league.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc
Beckford is our leading goalscorer by a bloody mile this season, a lethal striker on his day so to say he put himself before the team today is very unfair.

I would have given it to Mortiz as he won the penatly but I have no arguments in him taking other penalties in the future.

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
The reason I felt Moritz should have took it was,he won it and Beckford had missed two half decent chances.I just felt Moritz could have got up and put it away.Physcologically Beckford knew he had spurned 2 chances and wanted to put things right.Maybe a quick look around ask Moritz did he want to take it.But Beckford grabbed the ball with all the pressure of the last minute as well.But 2 wins v Huddersfield and Doncaster and we will let him off.

Professional footballer. 30 Grand a week. 12 yards out, dead ball. Keeper on his line.

It's not like it was to win the World Cup.......

Cunt and he should have scored.

Sell him now. Wanker.

You know what.......?

Fuck right off.

Yeah....bumble, gribble.....Knobstand, fucktwat bollocks!

I was born a lady with no tits and that..... but I now feel properly that I'm a man cos I never had a willy before but now I have one and I love it and it's massive and shit.

And Carl Froch lost his fight and X-Factor's rubbish and The Republicans dictate how the world works and everybody else can fuck right off.

I'm confused.

Anybody help......?

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Breadman wrote:You know what.......?

Fuck right off.

Yeah....bumble, gribble.....Knobstand, fucktwat bollocks!

I was born a lady with no tits and that..... but I now feel properly that I'm a man cos I never had a willy before but now I have one and I love it and it's massive and shit.

And Carl Froch lost his fight and X-Factor's rubbish and The Republicans dictate how the world works and everybody else can fuck right off.

I'm confused.

Anybody help......?
Yes!, Give up the booze!

But the booze helps......

It massages my soul. And makes me feel sexy and alright and shit......

My new tits are ace and I like being a tranny-Man/Bird thing. With a cock and jubblies.

And shit.......

Freedman out!

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Breadman wrote:But the booze helps......

My new tits are ace and I like being a tranny-Man/Bird thing. With a cock and jubblies.

And shit.......
lol! 

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
Didn't Moritz miss from the spot at Tranmere?

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Yes I did. Look at the chat dialogue - it's on record.
With everything that had gone on in the match beforehand and the pressure to score that Beckford's been put under, it was bleeding obvious he was completely in the wrong mindset to take such a crucial penalty and I said so. If one of his earlier efforts had gone in, he might have been more relaxed, but it didn't and he was wound up tighter than a fish's asshole.
A cool head was needed, not a man with the world on his shoulders.

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
On getting the penalty Beckford's immediate action was to punch the air and jog over to pick up the ball. Not the actions of a man lacking in confidence. However, i'm never happy to see the casual nature of penalty taking.

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Wanderlust you hit the nail on the head.My opinion exactly his 2 misses ment he was more interested in getting his name on the score sheet.Moritz should have took it fresh legs superior technique.

@White84 wrote:My opinion exactly his 2 misses ment he was more interested in getting his name on the score sheet.
Not following you here, how can the fact he wanted to score be a bad thing in this instance? 

I follow Lust's thinking (although I don't agree) that he was frustrated and so not fit to take it, but not too sure what you're getting at?

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Breadman wrote:But the booze helps......

And shit.......
lol! 
I fear Breadman may be experimenting with mind altering substances,brought back from the depths of the jungles of South America.affraid

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
I certainly don't blame Beckford for his penalty miss, at least the lad had the balls to take the spot kick. People go on about saying Moritz should have taken it, but if Moritz did and missed like he did against Tranmere in the cup posters would be saying he shouldn't have taken it, or he came on as a sub against Boro, so he shouldn't have taken it. You just can't win!

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum