Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Best Comedy Performance?

+5
xmiles
karlypants
Hipster_Nebula
boltonbonce
Natasha Whittam
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Best Comedy Performance? Empty Best Comedy Performance? Mon Jan 27 2014, 11:13

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Over the past few weeks I've watched the entire 100 episodes of 'Boston Legal' starring William Shatner and James Spader. Absolutely brilliant series that I highly recommend to everyone.

It's technically not a comedy as there are a lot of series issues in this legal drama, but William Shatner is absolutely hilarious as the character 'Denny Crane'. Seriously, every scene he is in just makes you want to laugh, the man is a legend.

The only other comedic performance to rival Shatner is that of David Hyde Pierce in 'Frasier'.

So my question to you is not what is your favourite comedy, but what is the best comedy character - it doesn't necessarily have to be from a comedy programme either.

2Best Comedy Performance? Empty Re: Best Comedy Performance? Mon Jan 27 2014, 12:11

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Phil Silvers as Sgt Bilko is a tour de force. Sheer brilliance.

3Best Comedy Performance? Empty Re: Best Comedy Performance? Mon Jan 27 2014, 12:15

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm not a huge Comedy tv/film watcher tbh, but I always thought John Candy had the perfect balance of comic timing and actual acting ability. 

in terms of just flat out slapstick I used to really love Chris Farley, films like Black Sheep and Tommy Boy, did all his own stunts too very underrated physical performer. 

both gone too soon sadly.

4Best Comedy Performance? Empty Re: Best Comedy Performance? Mon Jan 27 2014, 13:06

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I'm not a huge Comedy tv/film watcher tbh, but I always thought John Candy had the perfect balance of comic timing and actual acting ability. 

in terms of just flat out slapstick I used to really love Chris Farley, films like Black Sheep and Tommy Boy, did all his own stunts too very underrated physical performer. 

both gone too soon sadly.

I remember John Candy from when he was the coach in Cool Runnings, he died aged 43 in 1994.

5Best Comedy Performance? Empty Re: Best Comedy Performance? Mon Jan 27 2014, 16:25

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

boltonbonce wrote:Phil Silvers as Sgt Bilko is a tour de force. Sheer brilliance.

I agree. He was ahead of his time in many ways.

Runner up: Dermot Morgan as Father Ted

6Best Comedy Performance? Empty Re: Best Comedy Performance? Mon Jan 27 2014, 16:32

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

xmiles wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:Phil Silvers as Sgt Bilko is a tour de force. Sheer brilliance.

I agree. He was ahead of his time in many ways.

Runner up: Dermot Morgan as Father Ted

Spot on with both of these.

I also would include Rigsby (Rising Damp) to the list.

7Best Comedy Performance? Empty Re: Best Comedy Performance? Mon Jan 27 2014, 17:29

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Bill Shatner is a riot iv'e seen him a few times and he's done some roasting of celebs and he's wicked, i also crack up at his recordings of pop songs in James T Kirk's voice the man IS a Legend.
Best thing to come out of Canada.
My other choice would be John Hannah and Suranne Jones for A Touch Of Cloth.

8Best Comedy Performance? Empty Re: Best Comedy Performance? Tue Jan 28 2014, 00:15

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Love a lot of Steve Coogan's character creations but my favourite by far is Paul Calf (and also obviously his sister Pauline.) Comedy Genius.

9Best Comedy Performance? Empty Re: Best Comedy Performance? Tue Jan 28 2014, 00:25

You've got shit shoes on, ya shitty shoed bastard!

10Best Comedy Performance? Empty Re: Best Comedy Performance? Tue Jan 28 2014, 00:28

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Warren Mitchell as Alf Garnett, Leonard Rossiter as Rigsby,John Cleese as Basil Fawlty,Rodney Bewes and James Bolam as Bob and Terry in The Likely Lads,Jimmy Nail as Oz in Auf Wiedershein Pet,Ricky Gervaise as David Brent in The Office.

11Best Comedy Performance? Empty Re: Best Comedy Performance? Tue Jan 28 2014, 01:47

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

My favorite Steve coogan character is Saxondale.

12Best Comedy Performance? Empty Re: Best Comedy Performance? Tue Jan 28 2014, 01:48

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Angry Dad wrote:My favorite Steve coogan character is Saxondale.

Has to be Alan Partridge for me. Smile

13Best Comedy Performance? Empty Re: Best Comedy Performance? Tue Jan 28 2014, 10:27

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Victor Meldrew anyone????

14Best Comedy Performance? Empty Re: Best Comedy Performance? Tue Jan 28 2014, 10:42

Larry David in Curb your enthusiasm, Kramer off Se Infeld and Howard Moon off the Mighty Boosh

15Best Comedy Performance? Empty Re: Best Comedy Performance? Tue Jan 28 2014, 12:03

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

OneFinFreedman wrote:Larry David in Curb your enthusiasm, Kramer off Se Infeld and Howard Moon off the Mighty Boosh

I am not sure Larry David is performing rather than just being a slightly exaggerated version of himself - remember George Costanza?  Smile 

16Best Comedy Performance? Empty Re: Best Comedy Performance? Tue Jan 28 2014, 13:24

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Reebok Trotter wrote:Victor Meldrew anyone????
I like him RT trouble is my wife say's I am a younger version and that she is dreading it when I'm his age. I think she's got a valid point as I can see it sometimes as well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum