Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

West Brom suspend Anelka

+8
Reebok_Rebel
wanderlust
Norpig
Hip Priest
doffcocker
karlypants
Reebok Trotter
BoltonTillIDie
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1West Brom suspend Anelka Empty West Brom suspend Anelka Thu Feb 27 2014, 19:44

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nicolas Anelka has been suspended by West Brom after he was found guilty of aggravated misconduct over his 'quenelle' goal celebration.

An independent regulatory commission banned Anelka for five matches on Thursday after ruling he did breach the Football Association's code of conduct by making the gesture at West Ham in December.

Anelka given five-match ban
The 'quenelle' has been associated with anti-Semitism by some French politicians, and the panel also upheld the FA's charge that his rule breach "included a reference to ethnic origin and/or race and/or religion or belief".

Significantly, the ruling cleared Anelka of any anti-Semitic motivation, a part of the verdict which the player later welcomed.

But that has not stopped West Brom suspending the 34-year-old pending the outcome of any appeal and the conclusion of their own internal investigation.

A club statement read: "West Bromwich Albion treats very seriously any such allegation which includes any reference to ethnic origin and/or race and/or religion and/or belief.

"The club acknowledges that the FA panel 'did not find that Nicolas Anelka is an anti-Semite or that he intended to express or promote anti-Semitism by his use of the quenelle'.

"The club cannot ignore the offence that his (Anelka's) actions have caused, particularly to the Jewish community, nor the potential damage to the club's reputation."
West Brom statement
"However, the club cannot ignore the offence that his actions have caused, particularly to the Jewish community, nor the potential damage to the club's reputation."

West Brom's shirt sponsors Zoopla have already said the Anelka case means they will not renew their current deal with the club when it expires the end of the season.

In the meantime, he will have seven days to lodge an appeal once the commission gives full written reasons for its final decision.

A statement from his legal team read: "Nicolas Anelka is pleased the commission has found him not to be an anti-Semite and that he did not intend to express or promote anti-Semitism.

"He is now waiting to receive the commissions full reasons for their decision before considering whether or not to appeal. He has been advised not to make any further comment."

Anelka has been ordered to attend an education programme and must pay the full costs of the hearing, and Albion will now be without the striker at a time when they are fighting to avoid relegation from the Premier League.

The 'quenelle' gesture was popularised by a French comedian and friend of Anelka, and the former France international has always maintained his actions were anti-establishment and in support of his friend.

But his FA suspension has been welcomed by Vivian Wineman, president of the Board of Deputies of British Jews.

He said: "This supports the FA's decision to invoke its own regulations after its assiduous report concluded that Mr Anelka's gesture had anti-Semitic connotations and is highly offensive to Jews and right-minded members of the public."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2West Brom suspend Anelka Empty Re: West Brom suspend Anelka Thu Feb 27 2014, 20:16

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The FA had to come down hard especially as they pioneered the Kick Out Racism programme. Anelka is a Muslim and he was being coy with the truth. Why should he be treated any differently to the rest of us?

3West Brom suspend Anelka Empty Re: West Brom suspend Anelka Thu Feb 27 2014, 20:22

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wasn't he given an £80,000 fine as well?

4West Brom suspend Anelka Empty Re: West Brom suspend Anelka Thu Feb 27 2014, 20:46

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Yes and a five game ban I think

5West Brom suspend Anelka Empty Re: West Brom suspend Anelka Thu Feb 27 2014, 20:52

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

BoltonTillIDie wrote:Yes and a five game ban I think
I thought this issue was all done and dusted when it happened.

It feels like this happened a long time ago now.

6West Brom suspend Anelka Empty Re: West Brom suspend Anelka Thu Feb 27 2014, 21:18

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I feel less proud that he once wore the Bolton outfit after this episode.

Shame.

7West Brom suspend Anelka Empty Re: West Brom suspend Anelka Fri Feb 28 2014, 00:46

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Bit of a cop out by the FA if you ask me.Five games is the minimum ban he could have received for the offence. The sentence is lenient in my opinion for a pre-meditated offence of this nature. Let's not pretend he wasn't fully aware of what he was doing when he gave what was in effect the equivalent of a Nazi salute as a celebration of scoring a goal.

8West Brom suspend Anelka Empty Re: West Brom suspend Anelka Fri Feb 28 2014, 08:54

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

it wouldn't surprise me if he decides to retire now, i don't think his heart is in it any more and lets face it he must be a multi-millionaire after all his big money moves.

9West Brom suspend Anelka Empty Re: West Brom suspend Anelka Fri Feb 28 2014, 09:02

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think it's right that he gets bollocked but suspect that Anelka has little or no understanding of what he was doing or the full implications of what it meant.
He is after all a footballer and has lived a sheltered and privileged life and I'd be amazed if he didn't get his political views - if he has any - from the popular press. Certainly wasn't from personal life experience.

10West Brom suspend Anelka Empty Re: West Brom suspend Anelka Fri Feb 28 2014, 10:22

You'd be wrong about Anelka's political views Lust, he actually has a history of alleged anti-semitism. When the u21 Euros were held in Israel (I think last year) he was one of a number of footballers (Kanoute being another I think) to argue against Israel hosting the tournament on the grounds of their occupation of Palestine. Not anti Semitic in any way IMO but he was condemned by the Jewish world for it. Think that shows he knew exactly what he was doing with the Quenelle, not to mention that his friend and the gesture had already been well publicised in France.

11West Brom suspend Anelka Empty Re: West Brom suspend Anelka Fri Feb 28 2014, 10:40

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I tend to agree. As a Muslim, Anelka would have known what he was doing.

12West Brom suspend Anelka Empty Re: West Brom suspend Anelka Fri Feb 28 2014, 11:08

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I was unaware of Anelka's track record of anti-semitism. Still think he's ignorant though.

13West Brom suspend Anelka Empty Re: West Brom suspend Anelka Fri Feb 28 2014, 11:27

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

You can get caught drink driving.
Rape somebody.
Assault somebody.
Beat your wife.*
Spit at a ref*

you get frowned at...

However, make a Gesture that one or more people are offended by... and you get lynched.

I think its all blown out of proportion. Being branded 'racist' these days is worse that getting branded a pedophile. People need to get over themselves.

*DO these and you may even get a song...

14West Brom suspend Anelka Empty Re: West Brom suspend Anelka Fri Feb 28 2014, 11:57

Honestly Rebel I've never read a more idiotic comment in my life, a new low even for you.

Rapists, thieves, drink drivers etc get charged by a criminal court and sent to prison in most cases. They don't appear in front of the FA Like Anelka as the Quenelle is not against the law in this country.

The guy performs what is essentially a Nazi salute after scoring a goal and you say people need to get over themselves? Absolutely incredible.

15West Brom suspend Anelka Empty Re: West Brom suspend Anelka Fri Feb 28 2014, 12:07

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

He was also given an additional 10k fine for calling Big Sam a Fat Bastard.  An insult to the portly amongst us.

16West Brom suspend Anelka Empty Re: West Brom suspend Anelka Fri Feb 28 2014, 16:19

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Worth a punt?

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

17West Brom suspend Anelka Empty Re: West Brom suspend Anelka Fri Feb 28 2014, 16:24

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

bwfc1874 wrote:Honestly Rebel I've never read a more idiotic comment in my life, a new low even for you.

Rapists, thieves, drink drivers etc get charged by a criminal court and sent to prison in most cases. They don't appear in front of the FA Like Anelka as the Quenelle is not against the law in this country.

The guy performs what is essentially a Nazi salute after scoring a goal and you say people need to get over themselves? Absolutely incredible.

i think you took that out of context.

I was simply trying to say that the stigma attached to anything, even the slightest thing that could be considered 'racist' regardless of why the person did it, carries massive consequences.

Its all a bit stupid if you ask me.

18West Brom suspend Anelka Empty Re: West Brom suspend Anelka Fri Feb 28 2014, 16:27

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Interesting that the FA cleared Anelka of any anti-semitic motivation.

If that's the case, what's the ban for?

If they've ruled that it wasn't motivated by bigotry are they saying that he gave offence to some people unwittingly - because if that's the case, how is it an offence if it was unintentional?

My mother in law is plug ugly and a lot of people find her offensive, but it's not her fault.

19West Brom suspend Anelka Empty Re: West Brom suspend Anelka Fri Feb 28 2014, 16:29

Fair enough, but equally I'd say you have a tendency to defend racism and say it's just Political Correctness gone mad or people being over sensitive. My opinion is Anelka knew exactly what he was doing, and that was essentially a Nazi salute. Whether or not he intended it to be a sign of solidarity to his friend there's no chance he didn't know how it would be interpreted, nobody is that naive.

Anyway, if you throw about a Nazi salute you deserve the consequences.

20West Brom suspend Anelka Empty Re: West Brom suspend Anelka Fri Feb 28 2014, 16:30

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

wanderlust wrote:Interesting that the FA cleared Anelka of any anti-semitic motivation.

If that's the case, what's the ban for?

If they've ruled that it wasn't motivated by bigotry are they saying that he gave offence to some people unwittingly - because if that's the case, how is it an offence if it was unintentional?

My mother in law is plug ugly and a lot of people find her offensive, but it's not her fault.

^ this.

This is what im getting at.

Just because somebody was offended, he suffers for it.

Fair enough, im not saying he wasn't a bit silly, but seriously, does nobody else think its all a bit out of proportion?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum