Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Will Douglas Continue to Attack?

+4
scottjames30
luckyPeterpiper
Reebok Trotter
Natasha Whittam
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Empty Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Sun Mar 02 2014, 21:16

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So we've had two good home wins playing a more attacking style. But what now?

We have a big game against Leeds United next Saturday where Dougie would normally park the bus and hope we can claim a draw or lucky win.

Do you think he has finally woken up to the fact that in order to win games we actually have to have numbers in the opposition's penalty area?

It would be nice to keep playing as we are and end the season with some victories to give us something to build on for the 2014-15 season (not that it worked last season).

I really want to go to Leeds and take the game to them...do you think we will?

2Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Empty Re: Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Sun Mar 02 2014, 22:01

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

I really want to go to Leeds...

Lancaster Whites are running a coach and have some spare seats if you are desperate to go.

3Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Empty Re: Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Sun Mar 02 2014, 22:05

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I really believe he will do just that Natasha. I think even Dougie realises that the players are much happier and perform far better on the front foot than the back and that Leeds are there to be taken if we perform the way we have done in the last two games. 

Frankly I think even Mr Freedman isn't stupid or suicidal enough to try and play the way we have done for most of this season because Leeds will murder us if we let them have the ball and run at us. Park the bus at Elland Road will only encourage their already vociferous fans to get behind them even more and if we try to play deep we'll give them far too much room to run at us which is their preferred method of play at home. 

Of course this is Dougie so he might well revert to type but I think since Mason and Jutkiewicz are working so well together and the midfield has looked so comfortable in the last two games he'd be a fool to change anything in either the lineup or tactics. 

I'd prefer Mills to start in place of Knight but that really is about all I'd change from the eleven that started the match yesterday and given how well Zat actually played I wouldn't be too upset if he retained his place even if we do sign this lad from Chelsea we're apparently looking to borrow.

4Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Empty Re: Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Sun Mar 02 2014, 22:20

If it was a case of every point counts then i'd be accepting of him going there with a slightly more cautious attitude. I know we still need to be wary of relegation but he needs to use this opportunity to keep the faith, see how we get on playing this formation away from home as an experiment for next season. Leeds are in good form but they can be got at and are really reliant on McCormack to provide a spark, keep him quiet and push them back.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a more cautious approach with an eye on nicking a 1-0, but I'd be disappointed given the 'feel good factor' at the moment.

Last edited by bwfc1874 on Sun Mar 02 2014, 22:22; edited 1 time in total

5Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Empty Re: Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Sun Mar 02 2014, 22:20

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The last two games ( albeit at home ) have shown that we can be a threat going forward providing that we play the right formation. Six goals and two clean sheets is a no brainer.

Same again for Leeds please!

6Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Empty Re: Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Mon Mar 03 2014, 06:17

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think that as long as Mason and Juke is fit he'll play the same way.

7Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Empty Re: Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Mon Mar 03 2014, 08:21

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

scottjames30 wrote:I think that as long as Mason and Juke is fit he'll play the same way.
Morning scott. I think you're right. Dougie should see that it ain't broke so don't fix it.  :good:

8Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Empty Re: Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Mon Mar 03 2014, 09:36

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There's been a lot been said about changing the team and tactics this season and basically every game we lose there's a cry for wholesale changes/managers head on a plate and every time we win there's the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mantra.

Fairly sure Dougie will stick with the same formation and style but he must be tempted to change the personnel for Leeds even if there are no changes forced upon him:

Will posters on here be upset if Knight is dropped having played well against Rovers? That would be a first.
Hutton has arrived and his performances for Scotland have been strong so Dougie must be tempted there. If so, what of Baptiste?
And then there's Beckford who will be desperate to start against the club where he made a name for himself. Would Dougie dare contemplating changing the Juke/Mason partnership?

9Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Empty Re: Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Mon Mar 03 2014, 09:56

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:There's been a lot been said about changing the team and tactics this season and basically every game we lose there's a cry for wholesale changes/managers head on a plate and every time we win there's the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mantra.

Fairly sure Dougie will stick with the same formation and style but he must be tempted to change the personnel for Leeds even if there are no changes forced upon him:

Will posters on here be upset if Knight is dropped having played well against Rovers? That would be a first.
Hutton has arrived and his performances for Scotland have been strong so Dougie must be tempted there. If so, what of Baptiste?
And then there's Beckford who will be desperate to start against the club where he made a name for himself. Would Dougie dare contemplating changing the Juke/Mason partnership?
lusty here's how I see it. Beckford is still most likely not match fit for a full ninety so get him on the bench and bring him on if we need him later. 

Knight is a quandary in my opinion. He played well on Saturday but I'm in two minds because he isn't called Knightmare without reason. A player in form should keep his place but given his track record overall it would be hard to argue that dropping Knight for Hutton might be a smart move. 

My lineup:

Bogdan

Wheater - Ream - Hutton - Baptiste

Spearing - Medo - Mavies - Danns

Mason - Juke

Subs :Lonergan, Knight, Eagles, Lee, Moritz, Beckford, Hall 

Just the one change in the starting lineup and one on the bench. 

However I wouldn't be upset if Zat started because alongside Ream he looked very very solid on Saturday and I'm the first to be mad when a player in form is dropped for no apparent reason. 

We all know what Leeds away can be like. It's going to be a physical battle and we'll need big lads in the back line to stand up and be counted. The midfield is going to have to fight hard, in my opinion that's where this match will be won or lost. I wouldn't go all out 4-4-2 for this one either. I'd play Mason in the gap between the midfield and Juke, using Juke in the old SKD role of holding up and flicking on. He did that really well against the dingles and it's clear he and Mason are gelling nicely. 

Just for once this season it really is nice to be able to say "More of the same please Dougie" because I truly feel that if we do that we can take Leeds and bring three precious points back across the pennines. I think if he tries his "usual" approach and invites Leeds to come onto us we'll get battered. If we play a higher line and press them from the off we do risk leaving gaps but in my opinion, given our current situation and personnel it's less risky to do that than to park the bus and hope to hit them on the counter.

10Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Empty Re: Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Mon Mar 03 2014, 11:21

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So continue to attack using two holding mids and no wingers? 

Be interesting to see what Dougie does in his first away game since he finally had the players to give him the confidence to go with two up front.

11Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Empty Re: Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Mon Mar 03 2014, 11:42

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:So continue to attack using two holding mids and no wingers? 

Be interesting to see what Dougie does in his first away game since he finally had the players to give him the confidence to go with two up front.
Yes lusty, just because I believe that the midfield battle will be quite physical and neither Lee nor Eagles are particularly good at that sort of thing. Of course I'd like to see them screaming down the wings and getting crosses in from the byline but I really don't think we'll be able to do that, they won't have the space or freedom to run that such an approach needs. 

This match will be won or lost in the middle of the park in my opinion, we need to have players there who are willing and able to put in a tackle and with the midfield I suggested I think we can do both that and use the ball intelligently when we have it. 

With Mason and Juke gelling nicely (much to my surprise I admit) I believe that both should play, maybe not side by side in a traditional 4-4-2 sense but they are both a real threat in different ways. Juke can make the holes for Mason to exploit or he can be the fox in the box from set pieces while Mason has better speed and (imo) is more likely to be able to get into whatever gaps we can create. We showed both against Watford and Blackburn that as a whole we are better off playing on the front foot and against Leeds we will have to because if we try and sit back they'll rip us to shreds. 

Let's play to our strengths and not use tactics the opposition would like us to use.

12Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Empty Re: Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Mon Mar 03 2014, 21:41

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I think the players have had a huge say behind the recent line ups and style of play - I reckon they have got together and gone to Dougie with their ideas.

I'll give dougie his due when it's come to loan signings this season, they have certainly worked and most of them have looked far better than the players who are here on permenant contracts.

13Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Empty Re: Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Mon Mar 03 2014, 22:06

Tigermin

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Lets hope he plays the diamond again , fucking brilliant !!! He will change it because he can,wanker !

14Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Empty Re: Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Mon Mar 03 2014, 22:58

aaron_bwfc wrote:I think the players have had a huge say behind the recent line ups and style of play - I reckon they have got together and gone to Dougie with their ideas.

I'll give dougie his due when it's come to loan signings this season, they have certainly worked and most of them have looked far better than the players who are here on permenant contracts.

What makes you think this?

15Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Empty Re: Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Tue Mar 04 2014, 09:19

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:
aaron_bwfc wrote:I think the players have had a huge say behind the recent line ups and style of play - I reckon they have got together and gone to Dougie with their ideas.

What makes you think this?
Sheer guesswork? We do well and the implication is that Dougie shouldn't get the credit. We do poorly and it's all Dougie's fault. Agenda at work here?

As regards Leeds, there are two aspects of Dougie that may encourage him to make changes: 1) he always seems to go more defensive for away games 2) he sets up according to the players he has available.
The first pisses me off. Maybe I'm old school but I have never understood why the home team has an advantage other than psychological, so if players can overcome that there is no reason not to play the same style as at home. I know psychology is incredibly important but these guys are professionals and there's a club shrink if needed. 
The second is an unusual problem for Dougie - he has for the first time in ages got plenty to choose from. I reckon he has big decisions to make about Hutton, Beckford if fit and possibly Moritz.

16Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Empty Re: Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Tue Mar 04 2014, 13:37

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote: I reckon he has big decisions to make about Hutton, Beckford if fit and possibly Moritz.

He has no big decisions to make.

Beckford was shit before his injury and wasn't even a guaranteed starter.

Moritz is useless, a lucky goal in the last minute doesn't change anything.

It should be the same team, even an idiot like Dougie should understand the power of confidence and continuity.

I'm guessing the teams at the top have used virtually the same starting 11 all season. It's not rocket science.

17Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Empty Re: Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Tue Mar 04 2014, 14:28

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
wanderlust wrote: I reckon he has big decisions to make about Hutton, Beckford if fit and possibly Moritz.

It should be the same team, even an idiot like Dougie should understand the power of confidence and continuity.
I see you speak fluent Cliche.

18Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Empty Re: Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Tue Mar 04 2014, 17:30

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Simon Charlton was basically saying it wouldn't be un-Freedman-like to go to Leeds and Derby and play park the bus.
He went on quite rightly to say he should avoid doing so, even if just for the sake of stability.

19Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Empty Re: Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Tue Mar 04 2014, 17:47

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:

It's called keeping it simple - you don't think confidence is a major factor in winning football matches?

20Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Empty Re: Will Douglas Continue to Attack? Wed Mar 05 2014, 08:59

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

It's called keeping it simple - you don't think confidence is a major factor in winning football matches?
In a game of two halves I'd be over the moon if the lads stayed confident.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum